Bought this amp (the one in sig), uh.. two months ago? Three now? It sounded really good in the store and was right in my price range, but when I got it home though I was able to get a pretty good tone from it, always it seemed like it was lacking a little extra something? Tried a Bad Monkey and it sucked tone, sort of gave up on OD pedals after that. Tried the MXR 10 Band EQ and got not much of a result. Messed around with it a lot, but it still wasn't what I wanted.

Then I was like "Hey, wait a minute." And I decided to try using my effects loop as an attenuator by keeping the levels on the effects loop low and cranking the overall volume. It worked like a charm, and the tone instantly became what I wanted it to be. If only I had thought about doing this sooner! See, the thing with my amp is that turning the volume past one will shatter windows. Not even joking. Something messed with the volume pots, I'd assume. But this works beautifully when I'm playing on the "burn" channel. It gives me exactly what I want in a lead or rhythm tone. Just that little extra something. I'm really happy that this amp is now more of what I'm looking for, and I no longer have to feel unsatisfied while playing. I think my tone search might actually be over!

Now, to the actual point of this post..

Is there any way I could damage the amp by doing this? Obviously the tubes will wear out faster at a higher volume, but is there anything else to worry about? I also would not mind giving my EQ pedal another shot now, but I'd imagine that it'll boost the volume up too loud for me to get the "cranked" effect, so it might just be collecting dust for a while. I just don't think I can go back after this.
My amp can do that, doesn't seem to do it any harm. It doesn't sound that good when I do it with my amp though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Dude, that's not an attenuator, its just a master volume for the preamp. It won't get you poweramp saturation, and it's a common application an amps like the hot rod. The thousands of volume boxes on ebay for the Hot rod are the same thing.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Dude, that's not an attenuator, its just a master volume for the preamp. It won't get you poweramp saturation, and it's a common application an amps like the hot rod. The thousands of volume boxes on ebay for the Hot rod are the same thing.

yup
i've seen countless "volume" stompbox on Ebay, saying you put em in your efx loop and it'll act as an attenuator

you're not getting the goodness of the saturated poweramp this way.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by Shadow Eternal
See, the thing with my amp is that turning the volume past one will shatter windows. Not even joking. Something messed with the volume pots, I'd assume.

No, I think that's just the 60W of all tube power you got there. You know it's supposed to be loud as hell, right? If you're just using it for practice at home, get a Blues Junior or something.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
That's weird, because it sounds dramatically better? I know I'm not imagining it. It's louder at say one than it is at three or four with the effects loop kicked in, and it really sounds nowhere near as good there as it does now. So it's not just a matter of it being turned up louder, although I guess I did virtually nothing at all to actually change my tone, and it's all in my imagination? How confusing. x_x

It would probably sound incredible with a real attenuator, then.
I use high gain amps in general, but I have done the same thing to crank up a lower gain seymour duncan combo that I have.
Sure, he's getting preamp overdrive, but thats not necessarily a bad thing at all. It may not be the ideal tone to the tube amp "purists", but no doubt he has seen an improvement in the overall tone of his amp. I guess it also depends on the style of music you play, since the hard driven preamp tones are usually found in the metal genres.
Last edited by 1watt at Aug 21, 2007,