if i were to put a single coil sized humbucker on the neck position of a strat then would it sound like an actualy humbcuker?like would it lose that kinda bluesy sound?
Don't do it!

1. no, 2. yes.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I've seen them in the bridge position but never in the neck. I think the Hotrod 50's strat has a hotrails in the bridge

I hear those pickups sound about halfway between a single coil and a humbucker
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by Captain Insano
It does make your strat a little more versatile. So I'd say do it.

Personally, not only do I hate buckers in a strat, I hate neck buckers too. So, I would say less versatility. Why do people assume singles aren't versatile?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

I kinda like the hotrail sound in my strat bridge position, but i'd never put a humbucker in the neck of a strat. Never ever do it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Most single sized humbuckers use ceramic magnets. Ceramic magnets happen to sound like **** in the neck.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
ok so how does this pick up combo sound??
all seymour duncans
Jb in the bridge, vintage rails in the middle and cool rails in the neck
You really like buckers don't you?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

i dont want the guitar to be only good for blues and funk and all. i want it to be a lil mroe versatile than that. and if i had single coils iw ouldnt be able to do any heavy distortion past crunch pretty much
Quote by eXperiment63
Sounds fine if that's what you want. But it will NOT get a strat tone.

hmm...well it wouldnt sound too much like just a regular humbucker humbcuker guitar would it?
Quote by jason_lee_91
hmm...well it wouldnt sound too much like just a regular humbucker humbcuker guitar would it?

It will sound like neither a 2 humbucker guitar or a strat, it will sound like the silly bastard child that no one likes. It's like turning your guitar into a Line 6 spider. It can do everything, but it can't do it very good.

Oh, Which guitar are we talking about of yours? If it is your Jem, It is no strat.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at Aug 21, 2007,
Quote by CORT noob
It will sound like neither a 2 humbucker guitar or a strat, it will sound like the silly bastard child that no one likes. It's like turning your guitar into a Line 6 spider. It can do everything, but it can't do it very good.

Oh, Which guitar are we talking about of yours? If it is your Jem, It is no strat.

no not my jem
im building a strat and i got the wood part pretty well finished now im just deciding on the electronics
and also since i already routed the wood for a HSS what would be a good combination if i want a strat tone that can also do some waht hard rock?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I can get pretty heavy with my Strat..?
It's all in your technique.

People around these forums like to spread the crazy idea that single coils can't do anything besides play clean.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
People around these forums like to spread the crazy idea that single coils can't do anything besides play clean.

That's for sure. I mean, I have an overwound SC in my bridge, but still, I can get it sound heavy on my vintage output middle position. At least, when I had heavy strings. I don't play my strat since I put 9's on it for my little bro...Probably can still do it now, but I just haven't.
The secret to getting heavy tone with a strat is to use heavy strings. More metal = thicker tone.
Quote by jason_lee_91
so what pick ups should i get then??to get a good strat tone?

Look into GFS, I haven't tried any though, but they are pretty renowned around here.
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's for sure. I mean, I have an overwound SC in my bridge, but still, I can get it sound heavy on my vintage output middle position. At least, when I had heavy strings. I don't play my strat since I put 9's on it for my little bro...Probably can still do it now, but I just haven't.

I can get heavy tones out of a vintage wound single with .09's with the right amp and technique. Listen to Killing in the Name by RATM, it was done on a stock Tele.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at Aug 21, 2007,
Mick Mars has a humbucker in the bridge and neck positions of his strat, plus a single coil in the middle and I think it sounds really cool.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
The neck pickup is the best part of strat. Don't ruin it.

If you put a humbucker in the bridge position you'll lose the stratty bridge pickup sound (not a big loss IMO), and the bridge+middle sound.
im so sick of this whole "SINGLE COILS CANT HANDLE DISTORTION" bull****
they can distort just as well as buckers and in my opinion they distort much sweeter.
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
No one's doubting that singles CAN'T distort. But most around here prefer a bucker. A buker has no hum,and has a fatter thicker tone then distorted singles.

If the strat you have is a MiM strat, I'd replace all the pickups. I'd either go for American strat pups, or Tex Mex pups for the bridge and neck. I was never really a fan of using the bridge/middle combo. So I'd put in something like a '59 or a pearly gates or something in the bridge. It'll provide enough distortion when you need it, but it'll also retain a good vintage tone for when you need it. Granted it wont' sound like a single coil but it'll come close enough.

The JB is a bad choice to pair with single coils, the output is way higher then the single coils, so it'l sound much louder then the single coils if you do pup switches with a toggle or a switch. And it really isn't that great for "hardcore" with a strat. But it does get a vey good thrash metal sound, think Iron maiden, metallica, so on and so forth.
Quote by kaplac
No one's doubting that singles CAN'T distort. But most around here prefer a bucker. A buker has no hum,and has a fatter thicker tone then distorted singles.

If the strat you have is a MiM strat, I'd replace all the pickups. I'd either go for American strat pups, or Tex Mex pups for the bridge and neck. I was never really a fan of using the bridge/middle combo. So I'd put in something like a '59 or a pearly gates or something in the bridge. It'll provide enough distortion when you need it, but it'll also retain a good vintage tone for when you need it. Granted it wont' sound like a single coil but it'll come close enough.

The JB is a bad choice to pair with single coils, the output is way higher then the single coils, so it'l sound much louder then the single coils if you do pup switches with a toggle or a switch. And it really isn't that great for "hardcore" with a strat. But it does get a vey good thrash metal sound, think Iron maiden, metallica, so on and so forth.

american deluxe v-neck strat
not mim
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Last edited by libskate44 at Aug 21, 2007,
I have one in the neck of my Squier Strat, and I quite like it. It's surprisingly clear, and packs some punch too. Gives a great Rolling Stones type sound which is great considering my Squier is my 5 string open G guitar for Keith Richards stuff
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Well, a hot rail style pickup. Quite high output too I think. Ain't really muddy at all though. Sounds pretty good actually.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Not sure if it's ceramic or alnico. I'll get it out and have a play actually :P

Quote by forsaknazrael
It's not the only element. I also play my strings really hard.

Oh I know. But heavier strings will indeed get you a nice thick tone on a strat. I use 11s on mine. Once my fingers are broken back in again I may bump up to 12s.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Perhaps it's not a ceramic?

Actually, it is pretty muddy, but it does clean up well with the presence turned up on the amp. Also, it's alder whereas my Strat is ash, so mine is naturally a bit brighter anyway.