Acoustic is an Epiphone PR-6E

How do I tell which saddle will fit into my guitar? I am looking at getting a new saddle as the action on my high e string is about 1mm less than the rest of the strings at the 12th fret...I am pretty sure it is the saddle as on the first fret the action is the same for all. (there is nothing wrong with the sound/playability or anything, just annoys me when I look at it.)

The saddle I have is plastic, looking at replacing it with TUSQ:
Here is the saddle , this one looks almost exactly like mine, but doesn't list epiphone...

Also looking at TUSQ bridge pins, HERE
The bridge pins on my guitar right now are slotted, I can't tell if these are slotted or not, if they are not slotted, would it make a difference?
I know that at stewmac.com they specify slotted or not, so wasn't sure.

Also looking to replace them to see if it makes a difference in the sound of my guitar.
Last edited by D-Style at Aug 22, 2007,
I'm not so sure you really need to replace your saddle, at least not for the reason you stated. The action of the high E string at the 12th fret should be lower than the low E string at the same fret because of the gauge difference in strings. All the strings should slope or angle down closer to the fretboard from low E to high E. If they were all evenly spaced away from the fretboard, then you would have playability issues up there. It's one thing to want to upgrade to better material, but quite another when talking about action changes.
Another thing to consider is the Tusq saddle you're looking at. Is that compensated to your guitar? It's a compensated saddle, but will it affect the intonation of your Epi? Those angled parts on the saddle are what I'm referring to. Some strings need to be adjusted more in certain cases, so a luthier will file the saddle either forward or back to intonate each individual string. That saddle is pre-cut, but for what guitar?
It will indeed make a difference if you attempt to put unslotted bridge pins into a bridge made for slotted ones. They more than likely won't fit. Just pull one of your pins and see which kind it is. You will also need to make sure you get the right size, as they can be different.
If you are at all able to use basic hand tools, such as sandpaper and a dremel tool, why not just buy a real bone saddle blank and do the job yourself? They are inexpensive, and pretty easy to work with, dusty as hell, but easy just the same. It sounds to me as though you might need to do to your Epi what I just did to my Alvarez. I replaced the saddle with bone, did the work myself in about 1.5 hrs, and it sounds fantastic! I basically used my original plastic saddle as the template for the bone blank, and went to work on the bone to reproduce the plastic one. I didn't need to change action or intonation, so just made the bone to the same dimensions as the plastic. Just some food for thought. And, if you mess up the bone, you still have the original to put back in so you can still play the guitar.
Thanks for the input, the fact that the high E was so much lower made me look into getting a new saddle, but I've done a lot of reading about it and now it's more that I want to upgrade to better materials. I bought my acoustic from a local shop here, and the owner will do a lot of maintainance/upgrade work on it for free. I will go down and ask him about it and just see if he will do it for me.

My bridge pins are slotted, I just couldn't tell if the ones from musician's friend were or not, I'm going to assume they are not. Will ask the guy at the local shop what he thinks.

I am convinced that the E string is a lot lower than it should be, I will see if I can get a pic of it to post. I was thinking that naturally it would be lower, but it is definately about 1mm below the B string. The sound and playability is fine, I just think it looks messed up.
There are lots of sizes of bridge pins. The taper and the diameter vary by brand and sometimes between year of manufacture or model within brands. I'd ask at the shop what size you need. Maybe get the info from Epiphone.

Bill
Just because you're paranoid
Doesn't mean they aren't watching you!