dude you're from anchorage, sick. were you at the unearth show??
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
Love the use of suspended chords in the background... for a first solo, cool dude, a lot of searching, loose time, but that's expected... I wasn't into the tone so much but it's not a big deal, the playing wasn't too bad, some intonation, around the bends wasn't perfect, but it's fine, you stayed in solid enough time and good enough tune for me to get the vibe just fine. nice first solo, I can hear your potential
Can I have that backing track?

Edit: What scale(s) did you use? What key is the song in?

PS: What's your gear?

EDIT 2: Did you use sweep picking anywhere in the solo?
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Last edited by sTx at Aug 21, 2007,
Quote by sTx
Can I have that backing track?

Edit: What scale(s) did you use? What key is the song in?

PS: What's your gear?

EDIT 2: Did you use sweep picking anywhere in the solo?

PM me about that backing track I made the backing track on the other computer so I'll get it on this one and send it to you if you PM me your email or something.

Uh I'm pretty sure its all in D.

And for gear I was using an Epiphone Les Paul into my Maxon ROD 881 and then into my computer's line in.

I did use sweeping once, at about 1:05 but its a little sloppy haha
^ By the way, that was an amazing solo.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
seems pretty solid. I'm not much of a crit on solo's because I can't play them. But, it does sound good. Certainly not the best I've heard, mostly due to the fact there was a lot of empty tiem, and when the track is just for the solo, a lot of empty time feels like a let down.

The parts that were played seemd very well played, and sounded solid.

7/10.

Thanks for the crit.
Quote by Dozza
That's good. I want to do a solo now. What did you make the backing track with?

I used Frooty Loops for the drums, and I downloaded a sample of the snare Saosin used on "Bury Your Head" and the kick used on As I Lay Dying's "Shadows are Security" CD, and the cymbals were what they had I think they were under FPC or something like that. Then I messed around with a riff I wrote a while ago and recorded it straight into my computer through a Maxon ROD 881.
Really good solo man... I dig it! The tone isn't really nice but the solo composition is good enough for me to forget about it!

Nice backing track also... C4C please?? (links in my sig)

By the way, I added you on msn cause I need help with fruity loops... It'd be nice if you'd help me with it!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Last edited by hurlyz at Aug 21, 2007,
Hey dude, thanks for crit'ing mine!

Writing as I listen.

The riff of the backing track sounds really good, I especially like the different chord shapes. Nice drums and harmonised guitars! Playing is good, I like the weirdish beginning.
The solo might be a bit louder. And is my hearing damaged or is the lead guitar panned about 60% right?

Something about tone: I guess you want a heavy tone that is still defined for rhythm.

For this you will probably need a bass guitar aswell.

I think it's best to cut most of the bass frequencies in the guitar and boost the mids and highs, also cut the gain a bit, and maybe doubletrack the rhythm guitars and pan them about 60/60 left/right. This makes the rhythm track, together with a center-panned bass, sound REALLY heavy and yet well defined. Funnily, when I'm recording I always think "I should have set the amp to more gain!" but in the end, the recording sounds fare more overdriven than the amp in person, especially if I doubletrack.

The lead tone, on the other hand, can make good use of a lot of mids, gain and a bit of delay. I know this is all personal preference, but if you like Children of Bodom and the like, this is how they dial into their tones.

Good job on the solo! It seems to lack structure a bit, but the playing is good.
Awesome backing track. Sounds like acoustica beatcraft but it's fruity loops - You said Lol. The drums are awesome.

The rhythm guitar sounds cool. I like the various riffs in it. Nice metal sounding. Parts of it sound a bit neo-classical with is cool. Good tone on the rhythm.

The lead needs turning up a bit i think - It sounds alittle too far back in the mix for my liking. The tone was a little weak aswell maybe add some more mids - Just so it cuts through a bit more. The lead guitar it's self sounds good. The sweeping was a bit sloppy but i cn't really talk . That harmonised tapping bit sounded awesome - More of that would be good. Maybe a whole section of melodic harmonised tapping - Think Yngwie on the melodic part.

Sounded very proffesional. Just mess around abit with the mixing and dial in some mids for your lead tone and it would sound much better.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10451261#post10451261
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Anyway you could double the tracks and pan each one on a different side so you can hear all parts on both sides...im wearing headphones and rhythm is on one side and most of the lead is on the other side.

just double each track and pan each one on a different side.

I also agree that the lead needs to be a bit louder.

As for the playing it sounds ok...hard to pick out at times though.

Wasnt to crazy about the double time drum parts.

Overall it sounds ok
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Hey man thanks for the crit... sounds like you might have tripped the first couple of notes but you came back in solid.. sounds like u kinda sweep around 1:07 try to really get that strong.. overall i like it.. sounds really nice.. but next time when u mix it.. bring the guitar up more.. i cant really hear it that well so its hard to get a good crit on it.. good job though
Quote by ChuckV
Love the use of suspended chords in the background... for a first solo, cool dude, a lot of searching, loose time, but that's expected... I wasn't into the tone so much but it's not a big deal, the playing wasn't too bad, some intonation, around the bends wasn't perfect, but it's fine, you stayed in solid enough time and good enough tune for me to get the vibe just fine. nice first solo, I can hear your potential

I agree with this guy. I liked it.
yeah i was there too, i flew up for it. it was sooooooo sick.

but anyway, yeah that solo is awsome, the tapping part really got me. like these other guys are saying though, bring the lead out in the mix a little bit and don't search as much, but it's pretty cool.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
Pretty nice, and not just for a first time solo. as far as critiques, pretty much every else has commented on the empty spaces so i wont deal with that. just make sure you stay in tune on the bends and dont over pull it. for some reason it reminds me of "Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle" by Dethklok, i don't really know why, but it is what it is. Great job.

C4C on stuff in my profile.

Later Chief.