I'm sorry if a thread like is on here every week or so and it makes you all sick of first pedal building n00bs but this is my first post in this part of the UG forum and I really need your opinion over here right now..

I have an aluminum enclosure with the sizes 115x65x30 mm, a piece of PCB board that I need to cut to size but that's no problem and I have bought the switch already. The other parts won't be much of a problem getting my hands on probably. I have some soldering experience and all the gear needed for soldering too.

My only real problem right now is what to build, I play mostly stonerrock in my band but at home I also play a lot of Hendrix/Frusciante and stuff.
I don't have a fuzz yet so that would probably be a good idea, but I can easily get my hands on a Big Muff for about 60 euros so I'd rather build something that is a bit more expensive to buy because I have a bit of a limited amount of money compared to my wishes
So these are the things I had in mind (in no particular order):
-Fuzz
-Phaser
-Compressor
-Chorus (preferably Uni Vibe)

Any suggestions on what schematic or any suggestions towards a different effect?
Thank you and again sorry for my n00bness.. I'm always in the guitar gear section that's why
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
I'm sorry if a thread like is on here every week or so and it makes you all sick of first pedal building n00bs but this is my first post in this part of the UG forum and I really need your opinion over here right now..

I have an aluminum enclosure with the sizes 115x65x30 mm, a piece of PCB board that I need to cut to size but that's no problem and I have bought the switch already. The other parts won't be much of a problem getting my hands on probably. I have some soldering experience and all the gear needed for soldering too.

My only real problem right now is what to build, I play mostly stonerrock in my band but at home I also play a lot of Hendrix/Frusciante and stuff.
I don't have a fuzz yet so that would probably be a good idea, but I can easily get my hands on a Big Muff for about 60 euros so I'd rather build something that is a bit more expensive to buy because I have a bit of a limited amount of money compared to my wishes
So these are the things I had in mind (in no particular order):
-Fuzz
-Phaser
-Compressor
-Chorus (preferably Uni Vibe)

Any suggestions on what schematic or any suggestions towards a different effect?
Thank you and again sorry for my n00bness.. I'm always in the guitar gear section that's why

Sorry buddy, but I don't think that for somebody with your skill/experience level you could do much more than a booster or fuzz and have a chance of it working. Look around for a nice Fuzz to build, or maybe something like a Rangemaster. Check out the stickies for some links to schematics.
Once you've decided on something and have progress, take it to the Pedal Building thread - all of the regulars in there should be able to help you with whatever questions you have.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
With skill level do you mean purely soldering skill? Because I can solder very neatly, even though using an open PCB board where I need to make all the connections myself will be a bit harder I still don't think I'll f*ck it up.
My biggest point right now is finding out exactly what I want/need to build and then start the search for parts.

But thank you for responding anyway

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Skill level would refer to soldering and electronic experience. What switch did you buy? It can't be a PCB and you still don't know what you're building, PCBs are printed circuit boards made specifically for one circuit, like this Tubescreamer PCB:

www.banzaieffects.com is a very good site for pedal building, they have everything you need except paint.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I bought a standard DPDT switch.
about the PCB board.. I got kinda confused with the name there apparently, I'm Dutch so I ain't that good at English electronics terminology, anyways it's like a PCB but with a grid of holes, you just place the components on the top side and connect the holes that need to be connected on the back with wire (I have special very thin coated wire for that)

I don't mean to be arrogant but I can't really see why I can't build something more complicated than a fuzz or something like that as long as I get a good schematic

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Is it rows of copper strips on the back, or just individual holes with copper lining?

If you've got a DPDT switch then you won't be ab le to have an LED with True bypass - you can either have non-true bypass with LED, or true bypass without.

One of the things is you have to plan out the circuit on the board, figure where to attach the wires and stuff, from either self knowledge or working from PCB diagrams. If you get it wrong it won't work. Things like Delays are very complicated with loads of components, it'd take a large amount of work to plan it on a stripboard and solder everything...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
this is what I currently have..
well there is a box loaded with all kinds of electronics stuff in our garage, it belongs to my dad but he said I could use whatever I want so who knows what kind of stuff might pop up out of that but whatever

the board (sorry for the bad pic, but the lighting isn't that great right now and it's hard to make a good pic because of the board reflecting a lot)

the other side of the board and the rest

EDIT: I haven't mentioned yet but I built some PCB kits already, a VU meter and a LED display. If you want I can post pics of those too. But that's where I got some of my experience from and I also did some soldering in school about 2 years ago and I got an A lol
plus I have a dad who's great with electronics

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Aug 21, 2007,
A Univibe would be a right bugger. I've looked at some schematics, and trust me, it's very complicated. You have to rig up the lamp and the LDRs exactly the right way on the board, and it's apparently fairly hard to do it and get the right tone. A phaser would also be pretty complicated, but not to the same degree. Although I suppose you could do a compressor, it'd also be fairly complicated and whatnot. I'd really suggest doing a germanium Fuzz Face for your first build. It's the fuzz that Hendrix used, and it can also give you some good sounds for stoner rock if you set it up right.

Stoner rock is like Wolfmother, right? I might be confused with my genre terminology.
Quote by cokeisbetter

Stoner rock is like Wolfmother, right? I might be confused with my genre terminology.

A little bit. I consider them more Psychedelic Rock. I guess it's just me though. But yeah man, go for the Fuzz Box.
Haha lol xD
I think I'll go for that Fuzz Face then.. they're not that cheap over here so I find it worth it to build a clone ^^
I've looked up some more schematics and I must say I really think I can manage to build a comp or a phaser.. it's quite an awful lot of parts for the phaser but still manageable, that'll be my second build then I guess. I looked up a Uni Vibe as well and that indeed was complicated.. I'm gonna try it someday though because I don't feel like forking out over 200 euros for a Dunlop reissue or even more for the Fulltone version.

haha lol Wolfmother is almost stonerrock in terms of sound.. but I'm thinking more of the Fu Manchu/Queens Of The Stone Age sound

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I found some Fuzz Face schematics on the web and I'd like to know what you think about this..
one question: what's up with the footswitch? I don't totally get how it should be positioned and my dad is away for a week so I can't ask him..

also.. can I mod a tone knob into it, and if yes how?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Aug 21, 2007,
^ Eww, that's the Dunlop Fuzz Face. You don't want that, I'll find a real man's schematic for you.

Here ya go: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php Look at the first schematic, that's the right one.

EDIT: Oh, right. The footswitch. Well, a DPDT switch looks like this:

1 | 2
3 | 4
5 | 6

with each number being a solder terminal. You'll want to attach the input jack's tip to 1, the effect's output to 2, the effect's input to 3, the output jack tip to 4, ground to 5, and terminal 1 should be again connected to 6.

And the tone control. I've seen people attach a pot acting as a voltage divider between the original 2.2 input cap and a smaller value, maybe a 1 microfarad?
Last edited by cokeisbetter at Aug 21, 2007,
a univibe or phaser would be a bitch of a first build. good idea to go with the fuzz. the dpdt is two rows of three lugs, so on the schematic when you see a switch symbol it means one side of the lugs. scroll down this page to find out how to add a tone control.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Pots/index.htm
oh and in the future there is this thread:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630592