Alright, so there are two amps at the store that I could imagine working for me. First is the Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25, which sounds nice and crunchy, a very nice amp. The other is a Vox AC50CP2, which I haven't tried yet.

I play a lot of Coheed and Cambria, Metallica, basically stuff sitting on the fence between hard rock and heavy metal. Now, since neither of these amps has three channels, and I kind of basically want to start off with three different tones to work off of (clean, vintage-y mid gain, and a modern high gain), I was either thinking

1. The Vox with a Metal Muff for real heavy stuff
or
2. The Mesa Express with either an English Muff'n or a Metal Muff. I haven't fooled around too much yet to see whether channel two on the Express should be dialed into a more vintage sound, or if it should be set to more of a high gain setting.

So which one of those sounds like a better idea to you guys?
I think the express would suit your needs better, the vox won't do high gain without a lot of help.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Mmm, that's what I thought too. It's several hundred dollars cheaper too, which means I'll be able to get some more effect type stuff. Besides the Metal Muff, what else do you recommend in terms of effects? I've already got a wah.. but that's it so far.
The english muff'n sounds like a good idea, it's an overdrive pedal right? Should be good for boosting, you wouldn't need the metal muff with the express really. Fuzzes are always fun to use, and delay is nice too.

My Music
Yeah, I think that's what it is. It's pretty neat too, it has a couple of little tubes right on the pedal. >_>

As for fuzz and delay, I kinda automatically think Big Muff and a Memory Man, just cause I'm so familiar with the EHX line, but are there any better models to look at?
Quote by JoeBender
Yeah, I think that's what it is. It's pretty neat too, it has a couple of little tubes right on the pedal. >_>

As for fuzz and delay, I kinda automatically think Big Muff and a Memory Man, just cause I'm so familiar with the EHX line, but are there any better models to look at?

Big Muff and memory man are both great pedals.

For fuzz:

Zvex fuzz factory
EHX germanium fuzz

Delay:

I think the DMM is a great delay, it's analogue which means it sounds very good. However it's pricy and lacks the features of digital delays, though it beats them on sound IMO. So if you want more features, look at:

Boss DD20
Line 6 DL4
Akai Headrush

My Music
For hard rock and vintage metal, I don't think you will need an OD for the Express 5:25. The amp is intended for those tones on its own. It could use a boost for thrash and numetal, though.

The two channels overlap a bit. You could use the crunch setting on channel 1 or the burn setting on channel 2 to get your distorted rock crunch tones. I often dial in a thick crunch on ch1 and a liquid lead on ch2. On low gain settings you can get alternate clean tones on the ch1 crunch or the ch2 blues, rather than the ch1 clean setting. The amp is really versatile.

FWIW, you can also get awesome chimey, Voxy Brit invasion tones on both of the channel 1 settings.

The 5w setting is great for class a clipping, but I like the 25w setting more for vintage metal because the bass is a little tighter. The contour control is very powerful.

Good luck with your amp shopping!
Last edited by Steve BP at Aug 21, 2007,
the mesa express with an over-drive. once its not a distortion pedal your fine!
Yup, you aren't going to need anything as extreme as the metal muff
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com