hey guys , yeah quite funny how i raved about the Genz Benz El Diablo 100 in the beginning but they really really sound good for the type of music we play . So im sick and tired of strugglling with this amp so im just taking the whole thing back .

Anyway , now what can i replace it with ? all and all i payed +/- 2000$ for it ( thats including shipping to South africa , shop markup, blah blah blah ) now the problem is what the hell do i replace it with ? what can deliver nice low end like el diablo does ?
I didnt like the mids on the EL Diablo 100 , but the punchy low end was perfect for the riffs we play .

i dont want to go combo and not wanna go 4x12 cab . im looking to go 2 x 12 again.
I play stuff like : metallica , disturbed , trivium , speed/thrash/heavy Metal . then i also like stuff like ac/dc , Gnr ,( you know , all those guys ) but i kinda like using my plexi for these .

so yeah i basicly need a Head for heavy chunky stuff ( lol , chunky ) . Ohhh if this helps : the 6505 peavy sounds a bit to muddy and ( sounds more like tonns of overdrive then Distorion , you know , when youre contour is on 0 ) .

i played the H&K switchblade , was nice but lacked some distortion and bottom end .

can you guys think of a cool amp in that price range ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Maybe some kind of Mesa Recto or ENGL? ENGLs are very bright but incredibly versatile and you can dial out the brightness, Recto's sound good with scoop tones and it sounds as if that's what you're after, to compliment the mid-heavy tones from the plexi?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah , maybe an ENGL , just going to struggle to get one in south africa , how do the prices differ from Framus ? Framus is way to expensive here , they going to charge me $2000 just for the head .
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Maybe look intyo a rivera Ktre though i dont know if you could get them there
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
mmmm.... looks like i can get good prices on Marshall , H&K , Framus ( way too expensive ) , laney , peavey . Wow , maybe i should look at the Peavey JSX ? .
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

peavey JSX is a really good and versatile amp, you can look into a XXX too, i don't like it that much, but you might like it...it's good for lots of low end
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
jees , i dont think ill be able to get a Mesa in South Africa , ill keep my eyes open 4 sure ! but yeah . Austrorammer , the guy at the shop says the JSX is better than the XXX , but ill go try both , one problem tho , does peavey make 2 x 12 cabs ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

the gflex is a really great 2x12 cab. i suggest you keep it (if you can) and just worry about a new head.

as far as the jsx and xxx...the jsx blows the xxx away imo. then again, i was never impressed by the xxx.
Laney VH100R
H&K Trilogy/Triamp
Peavey JSX
Various ENGLs (I've not got any experience with them myself so I can't recommend a specific model)

As for cabs, the Genz Benz cab is supposed to be good, so unless there's something you really hate about it it'd be worth keeping it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
no guys , the last time i took the stuff back even the cab made a weird noise so i really dont want to keep any Genz Benz items . What other nice 2 x 12's are around ?
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Quote by t3mp
no guys , the last time i took the stuff back even the cab made a weird noise so i really dont want to keep any Genz Benz items . What other nice 2 x 12's are around ?

Ah, fair enough.

Mesa and Orange make nice cabs. Framus 2x12s are going cheap on thomann at the moment, dunno if they'll be more expensive in SA.

My Music
orange 2x12s are very nice oh how amazing it would be to have one lol. Framus 2x12s are very nice as well. as well as mesa makes a nice 2x12
ya im still waking up cut me some slack
Hey t3mp I knew you'd end up not liking the Genz Benz I sold mine as well it had a really strange voicing and it was too muddy for me. The response was also really weird, I didn't feel connected to it at all.

I can recommend VH100R obviously, but imo it doesn't go well with the Gflex. Not sure why but it seems to give me less gain when I plug into Gflex than when I play other cabs, making it really difficult to get a thick sound. It ****ing slays with my V30/G12H30 cab though. I'm really happy with it so I'm selling everything else I have. Sounds great for all the bands you mentioned. The resonance makes the bottom end so chunky and meaty (not thin like most Marshalls). Beautiful Fender like cleans as well.

If you want a tight bass don't go with the rectos they are mushy junk imo. Try ENGL if you want tightness!
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
i wouldn't buy a peavey cab, they are not worth the money IMO...
look for Mesa, Orange, Engl...
Framus makes pretty decen cabs too, idk about the prices down there, in Austria Framus cabs are pretty cheap and they are good for the money, but I would never pay as much for one as i would pay for mesa orang or engl...
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by KazVH100R
Hey t3mp I knew you'd end up not liking the Genz Benz I sold mine as well it had a really strange voicing and it was too muddy for me. The response was also really weird, I didn't feel connected to it at all.

I can recommend VH100R obviously, but imo it doesn't go well with the Gflex. Not sure why but it seems to give me less gain when I plug into Gflex than when I play other cabs, making it really difficult to get a thick sound. It ****ing slays with my V30/G12H30 cab though. I'm really happy with it so I'm selling everything else I have. Sounds great for all the bands you mentioned. The resonance makes the bottom end so chunky and meaty (not thin like most Marshalls). Beautiful Fender like cleans as well.

If you want a tight bass don't go with the rectos they are mushy junk imo. Try ENGL if you want tightness!

You selling your AOR?

My Music
Ah I'm not sure about that one. I think I'll play about with it for a bit longer. It'll only make me around £150 if I sld it anyways. It's a crazy little bugger.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Quote by t3mp
hey guys , yeah quite funny how i raved about the Genz Benz El Diablo 100 in the beginning but they really really sound good for the type of music we play . So im sick and tired of strugglling with this amp so im just taking the whole thing back .

Anyway , now what can i replace it with ? all and all i payed +/- 2000$ for it ( thats including shipping to South africa , shop markup, blah blah blah ) now the problem is what the hell do i replace it with ? what can deliver nice low end like el diablo does ?
I didnt like the mids on the EL Diablo 100 , but the punchy low end was perfect for the riffs we play .

i dont want to go combo and not wanna go 4x12 cab . im looking to go 2 x 12 again.
I play stuff like : metallica , disturbed , trivium , speed/thrash/heavy Metal . then i also like stuff like ac/dc , Gnr ,( you know , all those guys ) but i kinda like using my plexi for these .

so yeah i basicly need a Head for heavy chunky stuff ( lol , chunky ) . Ohhh if this helps : the 6505 peavy sounds a bit to muddy and ( sounds more like tonns of overdrive then Distorion , you know , when youre contour is on 0 ) .

i played the H&K switchblade , was nice but lacked some distortion and bottom end .

can you guys think of a cool amp in that price range ?

+1 for the laney vh100r its really that an Engl or Mesa. Everyone seems to be into the Mesa 535 even tho i aint seen anything but the combo. I agree about the 6505, if it did have a contour function it would rule IMO. Its just way to gritty and totally unversatle.

Or if you want really crazy low end get a v30 combo and a 200w bass amp and run the through a pedal like Adam Jones.
ok thanks for info guys , so here is what i can do so far :

Peavey JSX + Orange 2 x 12

Peavey JSX + Marshall 2 x 12

OR

Marshall DSL ( tho i dont know if they will cut it ) + Marshall 2 x 12

OR

Laney Head + cab ( i have no exp. with Laney so ill go check them out online and at the shop )
ill just have to use my plexi with pedals + build a custom Cab (2x12) or Marshall 2 x 12

the last option will save me a crap load of money BUT i know im going to miss that modern metal tone i got out of the El diablo , dang i wish those things didnt give me so much problems . Im really thinking of going for the DSL since ive NEVER had a problem with my plexi , just 1 fure replacement in 6 years but i know its gonna lack that Chunky fat Beefy bottom end .

so what option whould you guys take in my shoes ? and if none of them what would you buy with $2000 thats Killer for Metal ? ( no mesa dealers in South Afirica , framus is way too expensive here , i havent seen 1 ENGL in South Africa my entire life )
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Last edited by t3mp at Aug 22, 2007,
Quote by KazVH100R
Ah I'm not sure about that one. I think I'll play about with it for a bit longer. It'll only make me around £150 if I sld it anyways. It's a crazy little bugger.

Crazy as in awesome, or crazy as in spits sparks in your face and blows up at random intervals?

I#m trying to convince myself I don't need another Laney, and failing.

My Music
TBH, I wouldn't consider the JSX the best for modern metal tones. Nice amp with a ton of gain, but I didn't like the voicing that much for metal, more for shred tones imo. That is one I would definitely play before you settle on it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I don't have any experience with the other amps, but you should try out the DSL (and compare it to the others of course). It has a resonance boost which will give you enough low end to make your nuts swing.

I don't know if a 2 x 12 will give you enough "oomph". Just my 2 cents...
JSX was kinda wierd, i mean i really like the amp but i find it doesn't have enough gain for metal, but it doesn't have the right voicing for lower gain stuff, however this was at low shop levels so i might be wrong.

also, doesn't mean its a bad amp. try it out with the orange 2x12 - thats what i have and this thing had plenty of chug power in it. The jsx might be better through a diff cab and i tryed it through one of the peavey ones which i dont think much of.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club