alrite, so i decided to finally go electric after playing my crummy acoustic for a couple of years or so.
i like bands/genres like led zep, white stripes, radiohead, pink floyd, sigur ros, jeff buckley, old time country bluegrass (norman blake in particular), and classical.
so, i want something that can have quite a versatile set of tones. now i realize that no one guitar can satisfy all those bands and genres perfectly, but i just want a 'close enough' sound i guess, since i'm completely new to the electric world.

i can shell out a grand for the guitar+amp+pedals

i've been interested in the epiphone les paul custom, cuz well.... it has a nice warm tone, and i know it can do the classic rocky blues stuff well, but i'm not sure if the other stuff would play out as well.

soo.. any recommendations?
Last edited by majorbabu at Aug 21, 2007,

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by the spiker
Maybe get a fender fat strat.

Fender Standard HSS Strat w/VOX Valvetronix AD50VT... It will cover your need for long term guitar, amp, and pedals... The amp is a modeling amp with 11 different amp models and 11 different effects, quite AWESOME! Plus the 50w will get you through playing with friends once you get to that point!
Guitars

Epiphone PR-150 Acoustic
Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster

Amps
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Music translates into life, and life into music!
i have the perfect guitar for you. but im currently waiting on a certain ebay auction to end.

ill put it up in an hour and a half.

in the meantime, i second that amp.

and vote instead for a vox v847 wah.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Last edited by staticoverdub at Aug 21, 2007,
Oh no don't get the dunlop orginal crybaby!

Make sure if you get a dunlop crybaby you get one with a fasel in it.

You could get a Vox Clyde Mccoy Reissue (Clyde Mccoys are the crybabys heard on almost all classic rock albums) but they'll cost you about 150 USD.

-As in what guitar you should get. It's all personal taste, pretty much whatever you're comfortable playing with.

Gibson's I know have fat necks and a lot of people I know just hate them, Fenders have relatively skinny necks, and Ibanez's have really skinny fast necks and then there's dozens of companies inbetween. It's all pretty much whatever fits your hands the best.

-For what amp you should get? Since you like alot of Hard Rock. I'd reccomend the Peavey Classic 30. An awesome amp. For about 600 new for the combo or 400 for the Head. Of course you could buy used and save a couple hundred

You could get the Jack Daniels amp (identical in all regards to the classic 30 except looks cooler and costs 100 USD more)

or a Peavey Delta Blues. Just the classic 30 with a 15" cone. (better treble response)
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
**** it. i cant keep buying guitars haha.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Godin-SDxt-w-Lacewood-Top-Gigbag_W0QQitemZ140147979321QQihZ004QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

godin SDxt with lacewood top. someone back me up on this. godin gets overlooked way too often on this board.

and ive compiled a list of decent guitars from lesser known but still excellent companies. much more value for the money when you're buying a guitar and not a brand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-DILLION-DR-500SV-Guitar-w-INLAY-MINT_W0QQitemZ140148555241QQihZ004QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Kelly-MKVG-Valor-Glory-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ130143579910QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brian-Moore-i8p-Guitar-Great-condition-includes-Case_W0QQitemZ320148707930QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Godin-Freeway-Classic-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ230161077696QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAMER-SUNBURST-ARCHTOP-SATQ-BLACK-NEAR-PERFECT-SAVE_W0QQitemZ320148198030QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/FERNANDES-LS75-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-MADE-IN-JAPAN_W0QQitemZ120152814282QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-M-70-20th-Anniversary-Moon-Blue-Squire_W0QQitemZ190140231377QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

please at least look through them.
every key
every secret

Last edited by staticoverdub at Aug 21, 2007,
i actually meant that i was interested in the epiohone les paul, not the gibson one (not that rich here. haha). edited that now.

thanks for the advice so far guys, i'll go to one of my local guitar shops and test out some of the gear mentioned here.
i'm guessing i just need to invest heavily on a decent amp, then i can pretty much just get any guitar that "feels" right. i'll be looking into that vox mentioned above.
i've tried the fender strat at my cousins house. i find it kind of awkward to use. i'm not sure if it has anything to do with the strat itself though or if its just the fact that i'm used to having this huge acoustic body to rest my arm on.... maybe a little bit of practice will get me used to it.

but man, does that epi les paul ever look farking pretty. i can get a used epi les paul custom black beauty for 250, so i'm leaning towards that right now. i keep hearing from ppl that it has a nice solid warm tone, which is exactly what i'm looking for in a guitar. i'm not sure if the fender strat can deliver the same.
Either get a Fender MIM strat, preferably HSS, or a Epiphone Plain Top les paul. the plain top is the only one that has a full maple top and a completely mahogany back just like its gibson counterparts for amps, I would definitely recommend the Vox valvetronix line. and a wah-wah pedal would be nice to have.

Edit: if you can get that epiphone for $250, that would be an amazing deal, go for it.

Guitars:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

Amps:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

Pedal:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-V847A-Wah-Pedal?sku=151058
im not disagreeing with anyone but dont be afraid to play a guitar that isnt made by fender, gibson, or ibanez. theres a ton of good stuff out there.
every key
every secret

Agreed. Everyone and their mother look over smaller brands. You'll probably get better deals, such as that gordin above, with smaller companies.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
Quote by majorbabu
alrite, so i decided to finally go electric after playing my crummy acoustic for a couple of years or so.
i like bands/genres like led zep, white stripes, radiohead, pink floyd, sigur ros, jeff buckley, old time country bluegrass (norman blake in particular), and classical.
so, i want something that can have quite a versatile set of tones. now i realize that no one guitar can satisfy all those bands and genres perfectly, but i just want a 'close enough' sound i guess, since i'm completely new to the electric world.

i can shell out a grand for the guitar+amp+pedals

i've been interested in the epiphone les paul custom, cuz well.... it has a nice warm tone, and i know it can do the classic rocky blues stuff well, but i'm not sure if the other stuff would play out as well.

soo.. any recommendations?

1. Fender Telecaster ( MIM probably)
2. Vox Valvetronix (15 or 30)
Quote by stangconv
Hmmm if I had a grand to spend...

Guitar 369.99

Amp 129.99

Cabinet 249.00

Pedal Make an offer of 150 bucks shipped.

Total $898.98 minus shipping... which bring you probally close to $1000

I would save up and buy another EVJ head to go in stereo with the Cabinet. Would look pretty sweet....

my friend you have faltered, for this is the best da*n looking agile there ever was

http://www.rondomusic.net/product1145.html

j/k

but seriously LOOK AT AGILE's they f'n own any epiphone, any day *besides maybe the elitists with a pickup change*, the 3100 or 3000 series will do you excellent, and if you don't like them after a few days, you can return them for a FULL refund, no loss man, i suggest trying one, i don't sing any brand's praises more than another, as you can see by my sig i don't have a preferance, but man...i suggest an agile to everyone looking for LP's in your price range

and i second the vox as well, it's great for what you want

and a pedal...yeah...a wah, but i like my slash sig. the best, but the vox wah is a tie
Lookin at what type of music you play, you could go with what I'm doing. I'm planning on buying a standard mexican strat and a v8 crate palomino but I bet you could a higher watt becuase you have more to spend. As far as what kinda pedal you want, just go with what need... good luck man and rock on!
thx for the advice here dudes.
someone said here that i should go with some of the not-so-well-known brands, because they're a bigger bang for the buck. they're probably right about these guitars being a better deal and all, but most guitar stores don't carry some of these obscure names, so i really can't try out the stuff before i buy it. i'd probably use that advice for my next next purchase when i'm more well versed with some of the terminology and what not. thanks anyway though.

i'll probably be going with the vox amp and one of the wah wah pedals mentioned here a few times.

the guitar will most likely be the epi lp custom (if i can still get it for that killer $250), or one of the fender strats. i figure the strat is what most ppl start out on anyway, might as well go ahead and do the same here :P

btw, what exactly is a cabinet for? i'm kind of a noob at some of the lingo u guys have thrown out here, but i'm really out in the dark when it comes to comprehending the nature of this 'cabinet'.
Quote by majorbabu
thx for the advice here dudes.
someone said here that i should go with some of the not-so-well-known brands, because they're a bigger bang for the buck. they're probably right about these guitars being a better deal and all, but most guitar stores don't carry some of these obscure names, so i really can't try out the stuff before i buy it. i'd probably use that advice for my next next purchase when i'm more well versed with some of the terminology and what not. thanks anyway though.

i'll probably be going with the vox amp and one of the wah wah pedals mentioned here a few times.

the guitar will most likely be the epi lp custom (if i can still get it for that killer $250), or one of the fender strats. i figure the strat is what most ppl start out on anyway, might as well go ahead and do the same here :P

btw, what exactly is a cabinet for? i'm kind of a noob at some of the lingo u guys have thrown out here, but i'm really out in the dark when it comes to comprehending the nature of this 'cabinet'.

ahhh I think that was my post.

Not all amps come with speakers built in. SOmetimes you just get the amp (called the "head") and have to hook up speakers to it. The speakers in an enclosure is called a cabinet (or a cab)

Think of a home stereo system with the Amp and the floor speakers....

Now with the amp that has a speaker built into it is called a combo.

Clear as mud?
^aooo
i didn't know they could be made and sold seperately. nice, thats another thing i might want to look into. cool. thanks
ummm the same cab is $150 from musicians friend for a "scratch and dent". $180 brand new.
every key
every secret

Quote by stangconv
Hmmm if I had a grand to spend...

Guitar 369.99

Amp 129.99

Cabinet 249.00

Total $898.98 minus shipping... which bring you probally close to $1000

I would save up and buy another EVJ head to go in stereo with the Cabinet. Would look pretty sweet....

You can click the words in my post that I quoted here and they will take you to a link where you can buy them. So click on the cabinet to take a look at it.
Quote by staticoverdub
ummm the same cab is $150 from musicians friend for a "scratch and dent". $180 brand new.

Awesome I will revise my workings... (I dunno why but I love doing this finding the best stuff on a budget)

(Click to see link )

Guitar 369.99

Amp 129.99 x2

Cabinet 152.00 Muhhahahaha

Total $931.97 minus shipping... which bring you probally put you over $1000 by a little, but you would have a sweet rig!

Run the 2 heads stereo in that cab!
thanks for the advice again dudes. i've been browsing through the forums for hours now, and i've realized that plenty of ppl have great things to say about the Agile family of LPs indeed, so my plan is to just go to a store and play out a bunch of epi LPs until i find one that i like. then i'll just goto rondo music's site and pick the Agile that most closely resembles the store LP (specs-wise and all).

anyway, if a beginner like me stumbles upon this thread, they might want to check out this thread too. similar beginning experiences imho.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646496
Just thought that I might want to point this out. You only need one Junior Valve head tbh.

And they only have one channel, so you might want to get yourself a OD pedal for distortion.

If stangconv doesn't mind, ill make some changes to the list

Quote by stangconv
Awesome I will revise my workings... (I dunno why but I love doing this finding the best stuff on a budget)

(Click to see link )

Guitar 369.99

Amp 129.99
Cabinet 152.00 Muhhahahaha

Ibanez tube screamer 99.99

Cables 1.5 foot X 1 8 foot X 1 12 foot X 1 89.85

And finally get yourself some picks, straps etc. That will be $1000 well spend

Total $991.82 minus shipping... which bring you probally put you over $1000 by a little, but you would have a sweet rig!

Run the 2 heads stereo in that cab!

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
Just thought that I might want to point this out. You only need one Junior Valve head tbh.

And they only have one channel, so you might want to get yourself a OD pedal for distortion.

Nice changes, I forget about all the little extra crap you need.

Yeah the OD pedal would be nice too. Some good changes

But the reason I picked that cab is for the sole reason that you could run 2 EVJ's into in in stereo. if going that route you could probally get a smaller cab and cut down on a little more money. 1x12 or 2x12?

EDIT: Hmm the only smaller solution is this which will save you about 20 bucks. It might sound better though... I have never heard it.
Last edited by stangconv at Aug 22, 2007,
hey dude, just so you know, you'll want the 3000-3100 series of agile, it's right on your budget and have better specs than the epiphone standard or custom, since it's just the standard with all the fancy binding, at least in epiphone's case, if you want, they make an LP custom called the 3100 in white with all the fancy do ups, for the same price. and remember if you don't like the agile you can always return it

but.....if you find an epiphone you REALLY REALLY like, i'd suggest getting that instead, because if you find a guitar that just feels amazing to you, idc what brand it is i'd get it
Quote by p.stick

a few questions here.
1.) whats the diff between the vox valvetronix and the head+cab combo you guys are suggesting? i know the latter is a tube amp set up, but i've been browsing through various forums and ppl say that the tube amp setup isn't really worth it unless you're willing to shell out more than $500 for one.

2) if i get the head+cab combo, then i have to get the OD pedal that you mentioned as well. why is that? whats the difference between that OD pedal and the wah wah pedal?
ill just answer one.

the EPI VJ on its own is a one trick pony. one knob. 5 tube watts.
that said, for the money, it is VERY VERY good at what it does.
the downside is that it lacks versatility. however, it is the perfect piece of equipment for customization. it accepts pedals very naturally (sounds good with them. some amps do not so well.) and is excellent for modding (IE opening up and adding stuff to give it new features or characteristics).

you will most likely never want to sell this amp.
every key
every secret