Hi
I was just wondering is it better to keep your thumb at the back of the neck, or is it better to put your thumb over the neck. I am asking this because one some of the songs that i am trying to learn, if i hit the open low e string and move to play the other strings, the low e will still be ringing and the sound will bleed into the other part of the song. The only way i can stop this is to put my thumb over the low e string to stop it ringing. This though is very uncomfortable for me and it also restricts the use of my fingers, ie i can be very flexible and have good spread with my fingers when my thumb is at the back of the neck, but not when using the thumb over technique.

It seems everyone thesedays uses the thumb over technique - Including John Petrucci MY IDOL!!!!!!

Some say it is good, some say it is bad(Eric Johnson)

Need Advice and help guys

Thanks People!!
i usually keep my thumb behind the neck, basically anyone that sees me play wont play my thumb. most ppl say thumb over the neck is better for vibrato,but im fine the way i play.
i use my thumb. mostly because jimi hendrix and john frusciante use their thumb
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Whatever's most comfortable for you man!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I personally prefer having my thumb over the neck as in it gives me a better grip and because I use it sometimes to play on the low E for certain chords and on Hendrix songs.

I've never really heard anybody reccomend keeping it on the back.

Do you have any links to articles explaining why?
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
It also depends on the size of your hands. I have gigantic hands, so I use thumb over technique.

EDIT: I should say I use both. When something is coming up that requires me to hit the bottom strings a bit I slide my thumb down behind the neck to just above the middle. Then I slide it back up over the neck. I just find it more comfortable.
I'd say if you shred, the best way to go is with tumb on neck. You can always mute the strings with the palm of your picking hand. Whatever you choose.
Both....it is a good idea to learn which way fits the piece you are playing, or the section of a piece. If you can change fluently between the two positions you can get the best of both worlds.

Classical position, thumb behind the neck.

Baseball bat position, thumb over the neck.

You should google the two positions. There are pros and cons to both styles.
epic7734
Quote by Alex The Red
I personally prefer having my thumb over the neck as in it gives me a better grip and because I use it sometimes to play on the low E for certain chords and on Hendrix songs.

I've never really heard anybody reccomend keeping it on the back.

Do you have any links to articles explaining why?

Well, it can cause some wrist problems. I've actually experienced some that way, it's probably not good for long-term guitar playing.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Just do whatever is most comfortable for you. I actually fuse the two, doing whichever suits a situation best. It's the logical thing to do I guess.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I sometimes grab the neck with my hand when im doing simple power chords. But when i wanna play fast...er...fastER i put it on the back. And use it for barre chords, you get more leverage that way.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK