Earlier i posted in the Warwick vs. Fender thread, commenting on jbassman4's beautiful fender standard jazz. I really love that finish, so I looked around the net to see if I could find it on an American series. As it turns out, they do offer it on the American Deluxe line of jazz basses, which seems to be slightly better than the American series in its components as well, which would make for a nice upgrade from the standard American series, but that left me with two questions unanswered by my research:

1. Does anyone know if the Deluxe has the S-1 switching system? I really want that on the bass and if it doesn't have it I will just stick with the standard American series (hooray versatility!)

2. Anyone have any experience with these? A couple of reviews said it sucked, but others said it was awesome, so I don't know its true quality.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry about so much writing
Quote by jsbassboy
Earlier i posted in the Warwick vs. Fender thread, commenting on jbassman4's beautiful fender standard jazz. I really love that finish, so I looked around the net to see if I could find it on an American series. As it turns out, they do offer it on the American Deluxe line of jazz basses, which seems to be slightly better than the American series in its components as well, which would make for a nice upgrade from the standard American series, but that left me with two questions unanswered by my research:

1. Does anyone know if the Deluxe has the S-1 switching system? I really want that on the bass and if it doesn't have it I will just stick with the standard American series (hooray versatility!)

2. Anyone have any experience with these? A couple of reviews said it sucked, but others said it was awesome, so I don't know its true quality.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry about so much writing

It doesnt has the S-1 switching system, but beleave me american deluxe jazz bass its just awesome! you will not regret if you buy it.
I own an American Deluxe bass and it's the best bass available as far as I'm concerned. The 18V preamp gives tonnes of tone, the SCN pickups are the best I've heard, and the 22 frets are totally necessary.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
amazing basses. my next axe is gonna be an am dlx. i love them. one of the best basses ive ever played. if you liked my jazz then youll loveeeee them. unfotunately they dont have a s1 switch, but the preamp is so versatile you dont need one. id recomend this bass to anyone. i actually wish i bought one over my $1600 musicman. they are simply amazing. go for it man
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
oh and thanks for the compliment on my bass. i love that thing
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
I wrote a few 'reviews' of the bass at one point or another on forum. Try search barring and see what you get. Should be there. I also call it US DX or MIA Deluxe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah I asked about it a month or two ago, because I'm planning that as my next bass, and TheFitz, as well as a few other people made some detailed and helpful comments in the one, it's worth searching for a look.

edit: I just found out that the american delux p-bass has the same 7.25 neck radius as the jazz, so I'm up in the air on it a bit again It's so hard to pick one tone over the other.... decisions decisions...
ha thanks guys but this is a pretty old thread.... i ended up ordering the American Standard Jazz in the Sunset Transparent Orange finish...mmmmm.....but thanks anyway
The American Deluxe P and J have a 9.5" radius neck.

Also, FWIW, I think Fender is phasing out it's American Deluxe P-Bass. 2006 was the last year for 5-string Precision Deluxes, and now the 4 strings are no longer offered in Ash. In my opinion, 2007 or 2008 could be the last year for the Precision Deluxes (which might make sense if Fender's trying to associate it's SCN pickups with American Deluxe instruments).

EDIT: Chrome Silver is only offered with maple necks. I don't think this was the case before and isn't with the Jazz's. Perhaps Fender is starting to run out of parts resulting in a phase out?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 3, 2007,
SCN's are great pickups though. I might drop them in the Jazz, either that or basslines, but i gotta get more money after having spent $1000 on a bass...
Is the American Deluxe Jazz as good as the Geddy Lee sig? i've played a geddy lee, and it was pretty amazing. and is the Standard American Jazz better than the Deluxe? Because it's more expensive..
Quote by thefitz
The American Deluxe P and J have a 9.5" radius neck.

you're right,. I was also looking at the aerodyne p bass at the time I wrote that, must have been multitasking a bit too much and getting confused ( I think both aerodyne basses have 7.25). Anyway I hope instead of discontinuing it they just change it up. I'd have no decision to make if it were a p/j pickup combo instead of that p humbucker business. If you're right about the SCN thing then I doubt they'd do it though.
Quote by -zj*
Is the American Deluxe Jazz as good as the Geddy Lee sig? i've played a geddy lee, and it was pretty amazing. and is the Standard American Jazz better than the Deluxe? Because it's more expensive..

stadard american its not more expansive than the american deluxe, and I dont know if you can say better, its just that you have more options of sound, and the work its more detalied.... its just what YOU think its better...
I owned a US P De-luxe in the late 90s, compared to my Standard Precision the neck was a log.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by -zj*

Can't think of one thing the Geddy does better. The bridge and strings thru body do more for the bass than a BadAss bridge does, and I've said a thousand times the pickups are my favourite, and it has more frets.
Quote by Cody_Grey102