I've been brushing up on my improv lately, and when I was learning the CAGED system, I noted things like C shape box, is actually the E Phrygian Mode(when playing in C major). As in E F G A B C D E. Now I know the notes are the same, but its not actually the C major scale is it, its a mode.

Anyway, does this mean when I learn the boxes I will also know how to play any mode in any key?

Or am I completely wrong about everything?
^Pretty much. Write down all the modes starting with the major scale and you can find so many different position to play in the scale. Say if you're in C Major like you said, you could switch position from the standard 8th position to 13th position, playing in the Lydian position, or 10th postion, playing in the Dorian mode but still playing in C Major.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Thanks man that makes things so much easier

I thought it'd be alot harder to mix up my playing using modes.
No problem. It's one of my tricks when it comes to soloing "outside the box".
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Its important to realize that if the chord progression is in C major then even if you are playing the F Lydian fingering of the C major scale you are STILL in the key of C major (not F Lydian). You have to set up the chords so that the F chord sounds like the tonic in order to be in the key of F Lydian.

Mike Philippov
Yeah, but resolving to F in your lead playing, even over the C chord, will at least give the aural impression of Lydian.
It's really a bad idea to think of a finger position as a mode. (Incidently, if you
learn 3 note per string fingerings of the major scale its even MORE like a mode
because there are 7 fingerings with each starting on a different note of the scale).

The reason is you can play "in mode" from ANY of the positions. If you think a mode
is a finger position, you're going to think you have to slide to that position for
the mode. and that would be wrong.
Ah I think I understand this more now. So even if I play in the standard C major position, I could still be playing in say F Lydian or E Phrygian, because it depends on the chord being used?

So if I stress playing the E of the C major scale over an Emin chord, it will get across Phrygian, even though I haven't switched positions?

I'm thinking of the 'modes' more like extra boxes now, to widen up the fretboard, but I can still play in any mode from any of the given positions, is this correct?
Yeah, that's basically right. There's more to it than that, but that's a correct
enough understanding of modes for the time being.

Finger positions are just ways of accessing notes of a scale on guitar. Scales and
modes are music theory and independent of guitar. You'll have the notes you
need for any mode in any finger position of the scale, it doesn't matter which string
or fret root notes happen to fall on.
Thanks alot for all your answers, helped me out alot.

I just read that post which Casualty wrote nearly 5 years ago, and I see what you mean by there 'being more to it'. I guess I have alot of practicing to do