I'm replacing the volume/tone pot in my PGM301 (it's one pot that controls both) and sent my dad out to get a pot the other day. However he returned with a 250k (despite my explicit instructions) because the guy at the shop said that 250k was a much smoother sounding sweep.

However, I want to know if it'll affect the sound of my guitar. I'm not particularly savvy with this area of guitars so just wanted to know what will happen. I like how the PGM sounds and don't want to change it, but if it's just the sweep that's changed, then I don't really care.

Thanks.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
What is the difference between 250K & 500K pots?
Either 250K or 500K pots can be used with any passive pickups however the pot values will affect tone slightly. The rule is: Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound. This is because higher value pots put less of a load on the pickups which prevents treble frequencies from "bleeding" to ground through the pot and being lost. For this reason, guitars with humbuckers like Les Pauls use 500K pots to retain more highs for a slightly brighter tone and guitars with single coils like Stratocasters and Telecasters use 250K pots to add some warmth by slightly reducing the highs. You can also fine tune the sound by changing the pot values regardless of what pot value the guitar originally had.

from www.guitarelectronics.com
I dunno what the guy at the shop was on about with "a smoother sweep", but you should indeed return it and grab a 500K if you don't want a really warm sounding guitar. Maybe he thought you were buying it for a wah?

EDIT: Even then it doesn't make sense!
Maybe they didn't have any 500k audio taper in stock, just linear?

Maybe the sweep he's talking about was volume -vs- knob position? (very abrupt change from minimum to nearly full volume in the first 1/4 of the rotation with a linear)

If you use a 250k, you will lose the "sparkle" on the treble. You will definitely hear the difference.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks for the replies. This is what I thought would happen. I'll send my dad back to the store to get me a 500k. I'm too lazy to get the train to do it myself haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Ah yes 'tis the price us lazies pay...

For being lazies
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
The comman Rule is, 250 for the Single coil and 500 for the humbuckers, the sound will be totally different, id stay with the 500s for the hummys... eventhough u can use either... on passives that is
My Gear
  • Ibanez RG 350 DX ( White )
    Seymour Duncan - Jb Model (Old)
    DiMarzio YJM DP217
    DiMarzio Evolution

• Laney Linebacker L50
  • Ibanez ThrashMetal
  • V-amp Effect Board
  • Roland MicroCube
Quote by S-Gsus
Ah yes 'tis the price us lazies pay...

For being lazies

Tell me about it. He brought back this 250k and was like "The guy at the shop said this will be better" and I said "...it'll suck my treble I think, I need a 500k".

Hense the reason for this thread haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

In certain cases a 250k pot will be better for a humbucker. Most obvious is a Seymour Duncan JB in an alder body.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club