Page 1 of 2
Just wondering if anyone listens to real emo or even knows what it is. No, not this FOB, PATD!, MCR, TBS, that everybody seems to be calling emo but bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Garden Variety, Rainer Maria and stuff like that. Personally I think that most of the kids who consider themselves emo listen to the MCR stuff and dont know that theres music outside of the radio station but I could be wrong. Personally I dont find anything wrong with Sunny Day Real Estate. Their lyrics are more deep and meaningful than this "new wave" stuff and they actually have decent musicians. Its not so much about who can look the best on stage but rather how the whole spectrum of the music and lyrics fit together. I think thats how a band in ANY genre should be. Discuss.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I used to listen to "real emo" but I got bored of it. It's all a bit bland to me really.

Shoulda posted this in the Pop punk & emo forum.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
the term emo no longer means what it used to mean.

sunny day real estate is not emo.

emo means pop punk now basically. it has nothing to do with the emotional content of the lyrics. that's how the english language works, words evolve.
people think your emo if you wear any black at all.....right now it doesnt have anything to do with how you act

EDIT: Some "emo" music can be very good though (new or old)
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Yes I do.

Next question?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by zero_123
people think your emo if you wear any black at all.....right now it doesnt have anything to do with how you act

David Vincent must be really emo, then...
I'm a communist. Really.
I listen to Sunny Day Real Estate, but I wouldn't call them emo.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
I used to listen to The Get Up kids
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Well as you said it's the NEW WAVE of emo. "Real" emo doesn't exist really now does it i mean you cant call MCR and all that fake bands now can you i mean theyre gay but they seem pretty real to me. Alls you gotta think is its the second wave if emo, there are second+ waves of punk, harcore, metal stop getting so ****ing worked up about "real" emo as your as gay as the people who listen to the first bands you stated because you think your emo is "true" and "real" do us all a favour and grow the **** up an listen real music for real men, METAL. What do you really want some faggy pussy boy winging down your ear about his girlfriend dumping him or some ard bastard telling you about death, explosions or other manly stuff, pussy.
Quote by zero_123

no thats gothic.

emo style is jeans so tight they look like tights and stupid fruity bright colers mixed with black.

like a black shirt and jeans and a yellow tie and the stupid haircut were the bangs hang from left to right (or visa versa) gradually getting longer. thats emo.

as i said before its like a elton john ate a goth and threw up, thats emo.
Rainbow
(I'm not gay)
Quote by drakenshadow
no thats gothic.

emo style is jeans so tight they look like tights and stupid fruity bright colers mixed with black.

like a black shirt and jeans and a yellow tie and the stupid haircut were the bangs hang from left to right (or visa versa) gradually getting longer. thats emo.

as i said before its like a elton john ate a goth and threw up, thats emo.

i know that, but other people think that....(think preps, jocks ect. )
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
the Get Up Kids FTW!
fght ff yr dmns. wrt sngs n yr slp. fight yr dmns your DEMONS. w lv y. w mss y. i lv y s mch tht t hrts m hd.
Quote by axe_thrasher
Well as you said it's the NEW WAVE of emo. "Real" emo doesn't exist really now does it i mean you cant call MCR and all that fake bands now can you i mean theyre gay but they seem pretty real to me. Alls you gotta think is its the second wave if emo, there are second+ waves of punk, harcore, metal

the "new" emo isn't a secong wave there are already like 4 waves of "old" emo... and by the way i listen to finch and JEW not new pop punk but not the get up kids or sunny day real estate either... by the way i also wear skinny jeans but i am the happyest person i know and have never self harmed.. am i emo?

Quote by fleajr_1412
It's not a parody. Claypool took a huge shit full of awesomeness all over the album, hence the name.

Speaking of "The Brown Album" by Primus

Last edited by Crazy_x_Angel at Aug 21, 2007,
Pretentious. Elitist. No-one cares what you call "real-emo". Surely the only way to define a genre is by what most people consider it to be?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by soul_power
Just wondering if anyone listens to real emo or even knows what it is. No, not this FOB, PATD!, MCR, TBS, that everybody seems to be calling emo but bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Garden Variety, Rainer Maria and stuff like that. Personally I think that most of the kids who consider themselves emo listen to the MCR stuff and dont know that theres music outside of the radio station but I could be wrong. Personally I dont find anything wrong with Sunny Day Real Estate. Their lyrics are more deep and meaningful than this "new wave" stuff and they actually have decent musicians. Its not so much about who can look the best on stage but rather how the whole spectrum of the music and lyrics fit together. I think thats how a band in ANY genre should be. Discuss.

TBS's old stuff is nearer emo than most stuff youve listed

Sunny day real estate yes, im listening to them now.

FOB, PATD, MCR are NOT emo, they are pop punk/rock END OF DISSCUSSION
Quote by *Juno*
TBS's old stuff is nearer emo than most stuff youve listed

Sunny day real estate yes, im listening to them now.

FOB, PATD, MCR are NOT emo, they are pop punk/rock END OF DISSCUSSION

No, fail. Read my other post.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by axe_thrasher
Well as you said it's the NEW WAVE of emo. "Real" emo doesn't exist really now does it i mean you cant call MCR and all that fake bands now can you i mean theyre gay but they seem pretty real to me. Alls you gotta think is its the second wave if emo, there are second+ waves of punk, harcore, metal stop getting so ****ing worked up about "real" emo as your as gay as the people who listen to the first bands you stated because you think your emo is "true" and "real" do us all a favour and grow the **** up an listen real music for real men, METAL. What do you really want some faggy pussy boy winging down your ear about his girlfriend dumping him or some ard bastard telling you about death, explosions or other manly stuff, pussy.

Holy run on sentence, batman! I didn't understand a fùckin word you just said. On your comments on Metal being the music for real men, would somebody be less of a man if they listened to jazz? or reggae? punk? polka? Silly closeminded metalheads.. :rolle:
I listen to Sunny Day and Texas Is The Reason but that is probably the only emo stuff I listen to.
Unless you want to expand and include Bright Eyes but personally I don't count their stuff as emo music.
Also some screamo but too much bores me.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
Quote by axe_thrasher

So sigged.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Look in the pop punk and emo forum. There's some good discussions in there.

Yeah I listen to alot of real emo
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Cursive, Indian Summer, Sunny Day Real Estate. Is that emo?
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by soul_power
Just wondering if anyone listens to real emo or even knows what it is. No, not this FOB, PATD!, MCR, TBS, that everybody seems to be calling emo but bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Garden Variety, Rainer Maria and stuff like that.

The majority populous of UG (and ESPECIALLY the Pit) wouldn't know a real Emo band from a en Egg McMuffin. Chances are, if the person is calling MCR, TBS, Brand New, or FoB 'emo', they haven't even heard of bands like Fugazi, Garden Variety, etc.

There are a few, I know. But most, no.
Most of these kids are close-minded, ignorant ****s.
Spiral Out
I used to, then I realized it was boring and often even more whingey than the modern stuff. I (strangely) agree with Meths on this one.
Quote by axe_thrasher

Wow you're a cunt

Real men listen to metal. They also chop wood and kill small animals.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by kidsthesedays
the term emo no longer means what it used to mean.

sunny day real estate is not emo.

emo means pop punk now basically. it has nothing to do with the emotional content of the lyrics. that's how the english language works, words evolve.

phool.

yes, i love tr00 emo, sunny day is great.

rites of spring are pretty good.

texas is the reason, pedro the lion.....should i go on?
Quote by axe_thrasher

Jack my swag
Well emo is a term banded about nowadays by people who've never even heard of Sunny Day Real Estate, Hot Water Music, Rites of Spring, The Get Up Kids, or any other emo bands I can think of. Emo has always been a debatable term, but using it to describe mainstream pop-punk written by people who dress a certain way seems ridiculous to me and is a part of the huge stereotyping movement going on at the moment, so I still use the old definition, despite the fact that I listen to very little of it.

(I think that just about covers my opinion on any issues that may have appeared in this thread... Oh, and I like MCR...)
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by axe_thrasher

Shouldn't you be out wrestling bears or catching sharks or something instead of wasting my time on the internet? Maybe it's time you got yourself a girlfriend...

Edit: ...and yes I do.
Last edited by bequickorbedead at Aug 21, 2007,
Quote by axe_thrasher

Why haven't you been banned/hit by a car/eaten by a lion/castrated yet?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I listen to a bit of Rites of Spring. They're a good band. More interesting than hardcore, which I don't listen to. Not nearly my favorite though.

I wrote a long rant about "real" emo once for some punk website cause I was sick of watching kids talk about things they didn't understand.
DOWN&OUT
FOB, MCR ect... are real emo, they're just not the same as bands from the 80's doing what emo was then, in the same way that say, In Flames are metal and Iron Maiden are metal even though they sound nothing alike!

P.S. I expect this thread to be shut pretty soon...!
Page 1 of 2