Right, well I searched and I couldn't find anything that answered this.

Call me a 'noob' all you want but it won't stop me wanting to know. I've re strung numerous guitar strings and never had a problem, but I just can't do it on the bass (I've put it off over 4 years before finally trying).

What I don't understand is how you get the string in that hole whole on the tuning key. I mean, by the time the string is all stretched out and wound round the key, I still have 5-15 CM of stringing flailing about aiming for my eye. Even if i cut it off, I haven't the faintest idea how to fix the string down the hole.

Here's a picture (not mine, but it shows you the are I'm talking about)

http://www.ricsvintageguitars.com/br389head.jpg

Oh, and no innuendoes, please.
put the string in the hole, then bend it on an angle, it should hold intill wound compleatly.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Heres the general order on how to do things:

-Put the strings through the bridge
-Cut each of the strings so they are about 4" longer than the corresponding machine head/tuner mechanism (3" for non-vintage tuners)
-place end of string into hole
-bend string down into the slot
-wind like crazy

simple as that really
Fender MIJ Precision
i want to start learning how to string my bass by myself soon as well. do you really need a bass tuning winder? because i can never find one in a shop down here in australia
no need for a winder if you have an extra 30 seconds and don't mind your wrist hurting for like 5 minutes. Personally, I don't use them.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Hergiswi
Do they actually make winders for bass? I've only seen them for guitar.

Yes, they do:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Bass-Pro-String-WinderCutter?sku=425307&src=3WFRWXX
Quote by Sid McCall
no need for a winder if you have an extra 30 seconds and don't mind your wrist hurting for like 5 minutes. Personally, I don't use them.

I take pride that I can string my bass without a winder 5 minutes quicker than my guitarist who does can string his guitar.

'course guitarist have to tie knots, but I still enjoy the notion..
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
I take pride that I can string my bass without a winder 5 minutes quicker than my guitarist who does can string his guitar.

'course guitarist have to tie knots, but I still enjoy the notion..

I've never used a winder for my bass. Never needed to. I always hated changing strings on my guitar (since I'm used to how easy it is on a bass) until I started stringing them the way this guy strings his banjo.

http://www.musicmoose.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=32

I can now string my guitar in about the same time as my bass. So much easier. Don't need all the goofy knots, winding forever, etc.
What do you guys use to cut your strings? For the guitar I've just always used kitchen scissors, but with a higher gauge I just don't think that will cut it (pun intended), I don't think I have wire cutters.
Right, I've hit another snitch now which is just annoying, frankly.

I had the string all set up, nicely fitted in and wound and stretched fully etc. However, the string is now clanging against the fret board and if you play anything lower than on 7th fret, it will buzz.

I didn't have this problem before I fitted in the new string and made no modification to the bass (apart from clean the fretboard), any help or advice, I don't understand whats happened.

I'm not sure how long the strings have gone unchanged, the previous owners kept it in storage for a while before selling it and have only ever changed one string, and its a pretty old music man stingray, don't know what year, though. I've had it for just over a week and had no problems sine getting it.
1:Cutting with standard scissors is usually bad, I've ruined a few pairs of scissors that way because it leaves dents in the metal. Wirecutters are the way to go.

2: I think the fret buzz may be a truss rod problem, I saw somewhere that it either needs to be tightened/loosened if it's like that. Taking it to a store that does setups sounds like a good idea if you are only just learning how to string a bass, you don't really want to ruin your neck
Fender MIJ Precision
Yeah, the fretboard rattling might be because your new strings are of a different gauge (lighter than the old ones). Did you check the gauge of the old ones before the switcharoo?

And please, get wirecutters. Heavy duty wire cutters. Made for cutting hardened steel. A good pair will never wear out.
well if you don't have all the strings on it will buzz because the tension will bow the neck slightly.

Other wise you can adjust the action if you know how but i'd suggest taking it in to be looked at if you have all the strings on.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
The buzzing is because the new strings are lighter than the old ones. I had the same problem when I bought my last bass. I got everything set up how I wanted it with the existing strings, then put the strings I wanted on it and the action was much lower.

Go to Home Depot, or some other such place, and get a machinists/mechanics/engineers ruler. They cost about $2. They have markings down to a 64th of an inch. Set your string action to where you want it, then use the ruler to measure the height of the string off the 12th fret. Every time you change your strings, adjust the action back to where you want it.