when im learning scales should i learn them just in first position or all the way up the neck? i know most major and minor in first position(from a guitar class) but on my own i learned the minor penatonics all up the neck so should i continue the way i have been? or only first position?
ED REED BABY
You should learn one shape at a time. Learn shape 1, learn to improvise in it. Learn shape 2, learn to improvise in boxes 1+2 together. So on and so forth.
Try NOT to learn them as shapes, shapes are useful for navigating but ultimately that's not what scales are. You should learn them all over the fretboard because they exist all over the fretboard. If you just learn them in one position then you aren't learning the scale, just part of it.

Also it's important to learn what the scale is musically...in other words know what notes it contains, know what chords it relates to and know how it differs from the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok thanks i know intervals and other basic theory from school so wait is learning the scales from the shapes bad?? i wasnt really learning the shapes i just used them to remember what happened next should i not do that?
ED REED BABY
No, that's cool - every guitarist uses the shapes to help navigate, is when you just learn the shapes without understanding the notes that you run into problems.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would like to add to the advice already given by Mark. Take a mental note of where the root note and the perfect 5th note of the scale you are learning are in different place on the fretboard. I found that this helped me move to different places on the fretboard when trying to learn my scales outside the box method.
epic7734