When I sweep, I find I tend to get a little choppy with my sound. Should I simply pick lighter, or is fluidity achieved through practice?

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
yea just practice that ****. but after you do sweep all clean and ****, it'll get very boring. sweeping isn't everything.
Quote by ZoSo_guy
yea just practice that ****. but after you do sweep all clean and ****, it'll get very boring. sweeping isn't everything.

Boring? I sweep aimlessly for hours on end if given the chance. For those that do it properly and actually get it moderately fast *cough*, its one of the most fun techniques you can have for guitar. Nothing beats making your own patterns, stringing patterns together, making them faster, everything.

Also, just practice really slowly, and try to roll your fingers in a way that the note doesnt die out until you hit the next note, because if you roll and the notes die too fast, itll sound like a quick succession of farts. Do it slowly, and then when you get it nice and fast youll see that the sound will be much more fluid and natural sounding.

Also, dont let it ring out TOO much though, or itll sound like a chord. You have to use your ears to see what sounds smooth or not, I trust you can do that
Quote by ZoSo_guy

When did he say the only thing he ever wanted to do was sweep? Get out.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by insideac
Boring? I sweep aimlessly for hours on end if given the chance.

your never gonna be able to improv over giant steps with that attitude mister
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
When did he say the only thing he ever wanted to do was sweep? Get out.

you're such a ****in loser. nobody was talking to you. stop acting like such a child.
Quote by ZoSo_guy
you're such a ****in loser. nobody was talking to you. stop acting like such a child.

Alright and sweeps arent boring. Stop arguing.

TS, let us know if this helps any please!
Quote by ZoSo_guy

Tell that to Yngwie.

i'm guessing you can't sweep very well.
well it happend to me. i mean i'm not ****in yngwie malmsteen but sweeping isn't the hardest thing on earth, yeah it's fun but there's so much more you can do with a guitar than sweep. listen to jeff loomis' side stuff. you'll get what i mean. i didn't mean to piss anybody off it's just that people are so ignorant and closed minded.
Quote by ZoSo_guy
well it happend to me. i mean i'm not ****in yngwie malmsteen but sweeping isn't the hardest thing on earth, yeah it's fun but there's so much more you can do with a guitar than sweep. listen to jeff loomis' side stuff. you'll get what i mean. i didn't mean to piss anybody off it's just that people are so ignorant and closed minded.

Maybe he wants to learn to sweep to go along with all the other things you can do on guitar.
epic7734
Quote by insideac
Also, just practice really slowly, and try to roll your fingers in a way that the note doesnt die out until you hit the next note, because if you roll and the notes die too fast, itll sound like a quick succession of farts. Do it slowly, and then when you get it nice and fast youll see that the sound will be much more fluid and natural sounding.

Also, dont let it ring out TOO much though, or itll sound like a chord. You have to use your ears to see what sounds smooth or not, I trust you can do that

I should've been a bit more specific. My left hand isn't really the problem I don't think; when I pick lightly, everything sounds perfectly fine. However, whenever I try and get a substantial volume out of my guitar, I get the aforementioned "choppy" sound, especially on the lower three strings. It doesn't matter how slowly I play it, either.

Help

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Last edited by Red.Washburn77 at Aug 21, 2007,
Quote by ZoSo_guy

On the other hand this is the advanced technique forum and as such you should expect threads about sweeping, now, no one ever said that sweeping was everything; the guy just wants some tips about technique so stop being such an ass and either help or stop reading.

TS: Are you angling your pick? I mean: when you do a downward sweep you should angle your pick down slightly and ther reverse on the way up; this helps with fluidity of motion and the smooth sound you're looking for.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ No, I hadn't been. Thanks, I'll see what difference that makes.

--Red
Threadstarter, simply practice slowly. I think the reason why you are getting that choppy sound is because you are doing it too quickly. You need to take time to slow down and synchronise your hands.

I hold the pick perpendicular to the strings all the time during the sweeping motion. The aim of your picking hand is to do a controlled strum in the downward and upward directions.. If angling the pick helps you, try that.

Slow down to a speed where you dont sound choppy. Keep practicing at that speed until it sounds clean then move up by 10 bpm. Keep doing this.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Why is it everyone thinks sweeps have to be done as fast as possible? You really
should be aiming to feel the fluidity of the sweep and be able to do it IN TIME at
a variety of rhythyms. If you can't do that at moderate tempos, your sweeping
will be virtually worthless IMO.
Quote by edg
Why is it everyone thinks sweeps have to be done as fast as possible? You really
should be aiming to feel the fluidity of the sweep and be able to do it IN TIME at
a variety of rhythyms. If you can't do that at moderate tempos, your sweeping
will be virtually worthless IMO.

I agree completely.

Even if you can wank as hard and fast as you want, if you aren't in time with the band/track then you still suck (exception to the rule is rubato playing, but that's another can of worms). Sweeping is no different from any other technique in that respect. If you listen to something like Vela, Together We Await the Storm by The Human Abstract, one of the main themes in the song is three string sweeps at about 140 bpm, and if you speed it up then it loses the feel of the song.

And to the thread starter, I'd reccomend slowing yourself down to really pinpoint your trouble areas, and make sure you aren't sacrificing control for speed.
Last edited by troyponce at Aug 22, 2007,
Thread starter. Another way of playing arpeggios is too turn the amp settings up/gain/ whatever it might be, and play without using a pick, put your right hand over the first fret and mute the strings. its abit harder at first but when you get it it'll help with improvising and perhaps make it easy ultimatelly to sweep pick.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Try raising the action of your strings. It might be that your action is too low and every time you hit the string with the pick it "pops" against the fret.

I have my action on my electric set up VERY high; in fact most people are shocked when they pick up my guitar and try to play it, the action on the treble strings especially is VERY high (for an electric anyway). I do it for several reasons such as improved sustain and also to eliminate that "popping" noise that I always get on guitars with low action because I tend to pick the strings pretty hard.

Check out my article on sweeping: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/7_common_problems_with_learning_sweep_picking.html

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Mike Philippov
For me.. the only hard part on sweeping is the fact i cant get the rest of the damn notes to not ring while i'm going down.. i mean i can shredd at 140 - 160 bpm 4/4 9/8 5/4 ya know.. but sweeping i am just learning how to do.. damn me.. i mean i can do it somewhat but its just.. getting to the point where i can control the notes that i am not playing.. grr plainly its just tough for me..
Quote by MikeWO
That's like asking if you can get fat by looking at a burger.

Quote by Mein Kampf
Black people still exist?

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic