my fretboard is like dry and seems to stick to my fingers ive heard people putting lemon oil on their guitar to make it better i just dont wanna do it not knowing what to do and **** up my guitar and if lemon oil works could i use some that i have in my house or do i have to go to a music store and it wont damage the strings i it touches them will it?

josh
is there other use for lemon oil besides fretboard cleaner?
lemon oil is pretty good for cleaning fretboard cleaning, but there is a warning against using it on maple fretbords.
Lemon oil only works on rosewood and ebony woods. It doesn't work on unfinished maple for some reason. You can use basically any type of lemon oil along with a soft cloth to clean it off and moisten it. It also won't hurt your strings. I would recommend cleaning it when you change your strings though to make it easier.
don't be so protective, any wood conditioner should do fine, it's made for wood, use it on wood.
You could try a string lubricant like Fast Fret. I think this will supply what you need. It's about £5 in UK.

Lemon Oil is ONLY used on ebony and rosewood necks. NEVER use it on a maple neck.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Lemon oil all the way. You've got a rosewood fretboard so away you go
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
question: what happens if you use lemon oil on maple fretboards anyway? i have a guitar with a fretboard where i don't know what wood it is... (don't know how to phrase that question atm.)
Quote by akong.supern00b
question: what happens if you use lemon oil on maple fretboards anyway? i have a guitar with a fretboard where i don't know what wood it is... (don't know how to phrase that question atm.)

If the wood is really light, then it's maple. If it's dark brown, then it's rosewood. If it's REALLY dark brown, it's maple.

If you use lemon oil on a maple fretboard it's not the end of the world. It just sort of gets really dirty and gritty fast. You should just use the polish you use on the guitar body.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay