Hi,

ok, im considering buying a Marshall MG100DFX second hand amp of my friends guitar teacher, apparntly it doesnt switch on, as described its in good condition... and he only wants £25 for it (but i can get it for £20)

See, the problem is, it doesnt work...... now he said the speaker isnt blown, story cut short, was playing it one night, switched it off, then next morning it didnt switch on.

A general electrician (or how ever its spelt ) Said that he couldnt seen a problem, ( he has only changed the fuse, and not opened it up fully)

but failing that it could be repaired for about £60 at my local guitar shop.

do you think its worth it? what does this sound like.. or is there a comman problem with this type of amp that could be fixed by muwah (myself)

hopfully i could get my hands on a Volt Ohm Meter.. so that could help

I apprieciate the Help and Advice, i know theres a lot of Experanced people out there.. Anyways,

Thanks for your time ,

Ryan
My Gear
  • Ibanez RG 350 DX ( White )
    Seymour Duncan - Jb Model (Old)
    DiMarzio YJM DP217
    DiMarzio Evolution

• Laney Linebacker L50
  • Ibanez ThrashMetal
  • V-amp Effect Board
  • Roland MicroCube
I wouldn't buy it. Even if you get it fixed it still won't sound very good.
It's a pretty mediocre and bland sounding amp.

It's not worth the hassle.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
if you bought it and repaired it for only £60 like you said.

you could probably sell it for a lot more on ebay

I'd do it.

but if you're thinking of keeping the amp, don't bother, it's not very good
Any other Suggestions???

I really do appreciate them,

Would anyone know a comman fault with them?

thanks
My Gear
    DiMarzio YJM DP217
    DiMarzio Evolution

• Laney Linebacker L50
  • Ibanez ThrashMetal
  • V-amp Effect Board
  • Roland MicroCube
As far as sound the common fault is that the distortion is fizzy and "transistor-ish." The cleans are bland at best. Even if you get it cheap and fix it cheap its not a good amp. Even the speaker is not worth canabalizing. I would suspect that there are many reliability concerns, but I cannot verify this. I have played MG's, I have a reasonable skill level and knowledge of amps but I couldn't get it to sound even acceptable. Just my opinions.
Solid state amps are notoriously hard to fix compared to valve amps. It's not worth the hassle.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
wrong forum to ask dude, lol, everyone here hates mg's. personally, i have the mg100dfx, and can say it's decent. for that good of a price i think i'd buy it if i were you. it's not a bad combo.
I agree with the guy saying to fix it then sell it. It's a crap amp, but half the people on eBay don't know that. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Some wires might be loose. Go to his house and check all the connections. If you cant see any loose wires hanging around and don't see any melted components, don't bother.
Quote by 19888
wrong forum to ask dude, lol, everyone here hates mg's. personally, i have the mg100dfx, and can say it's decent. for that good of a price i think i'd buy it if i were you. it's not a bad combo.

I'd get it for that price, but only so I could sell it on Ebay for a lot more. Everything tone-wise about that amp is not worth the GC price (470 USD ).
If you're new at this, it's understandable that you don't think it's bad, as you haven't developed an ear for tone yet.
Ok, Thanks Guys.. Ill Leave It Out, Thanks For the advice made me consider else wise, and so ill leave it

Ryan
My Gear
    DiMarzio YJM DP217
    DiMarzio Evolution

• Laney Linebacker L50
  • Ibanez ThrashMetal
  • V-amp Effect Board
  • Roland MicroCube
I wouldn't veen take the offer if they GAVE me money for it!

Avoid MGs like the plaugue!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
That is very common with those amps. They contain the lowest quality components Marshall could find, and are basically designed to break down the day after the warranty expires.

Even if you do get it repaired, it will break again.
#Thank you
My Gear
    DiMarzio YJM DP217
    DiMarzio Evolution

• Laney Linebacker L50
  • Ibanez ThrashMetal
  • V-amp Effect Board
  • Roland MicroCube
get it.

seriously its like 20 bucks for it (100 including repairs(unless it cant be repaired then just sell the speakers and youll probably only end up spending five bucks for a cool coffee table) and they go for like i think ones on uk ebay for like $160.
so you will make money if it can be repaired.

i think you should get it.
hell YOU may even like how it sounds.