Poll: so.....pickups or an od pedal
Poll Options
View poll results: so.....pickups or an od pedal
pickups
13 50%
overdrive pedal
13 50%
dude, your tone is perfect, you dont need anything else. (haha yeah right)
0 0%
Voters: 26.
well, i have a fender hot rod deluxe and a mim strat. all stock. i keep bouncing back and forth between buying a tubescreamer or fender 57/62 pickups. so, i you would plaese follow this link
http://www.purevolume.com/ricksills
and listen to little wing and tell me which you think i need more, an overdrive pedal or pickups. i guess really you can listen to anyof the recordings if you want, but little wing has both clean and dirty tones. thanks for the help.

also, my musical style/influences.
mostly blues. also jazz, country, classic rock. my influences are srv, ray charles, john mayer, bb king etc etc
Last edited by chea_man at Aug 21, 2007,
How are we supposed to decide this?
Do you feel like you need more gain with your dirty tones? Have you tried any OD pedals?

How do you feel about your tone right now? Just clean. Is there enough clarity/warmth/brightness?

EDIT: I just think that tone is subjective, and any gear changes should be based on what you think about it. I personally think you're doing just fine. either way. Tone needs to be a bit thicker on the OD parts, but you don't need a new pedal specifically for that.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 21, 2007,
I think pups would make a big difference to your tone. So I say the pups!
The od would improve your over-all tone, only when its switch and will only give you dirty tone.. Your overdrive isnt too bad now, could do will a little tweaking imo!

Btw good playing man!
thanks for the help so far. the reason, forsaknazrael, that im asking y'all to decide, is because i actually need to get both, but i cant afford both right now. i have tried out alot of ods, ibanex ts 808 and 9 as well as a moxon 808. im leaning towards the maxon now. one day i think i should get pups, the next day im dead set on an od.

and btw, thanks false god.
I agree, sounds pretty good, the tone on Light my Way is very Stevie Ray.

But the tone on little wing is a bit brittle on the solo and a bit dark on the rythym parts .

Anyways, both pickups and an overdrive will make an improvement in tone and versatility, but i'd suggest a pedal first, just because you will get the most noticeable tone improvement.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
I'm gonna say Overdrive, just because I think you will be able to get more out of it for the cash. It'll help you tweak your sound more, and you can get more sounds with it. I've heard a lot of good things about the Maxon 808 for OD. Also, check out the Fulltone OCD.

Little Wing sounds great! But why did the panning keep changing? Also, it seemed like in the middle of the solos, random effects kept coming on and making everything jump out for a few seconds. But the playing and your tone are both good. I'm getting a HR Deluxe as soon as I sell my amp as well
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
I'm gonna say Overdrive, just because I think you will be able to get more out of it for the cash. It'll help you tweak your sound more, and you can get more sounds with it. I've heard a lot of good things about the Maxon 808 for OD. Also, check out the Fulltone OCD.

Little Wing sounds great! But why did the panning keep changing? Also, it seemed like in the middle of the solos, random effects kept coming on and making everything jump out for a few seconds. But the playing and your tone are both good. I'm getting a HR Deluxe as soon as I sell my amp as well

yeah the panning and effects were all put in without my knowledge. the stupid producer thinks it was cool but i didnt like how it turned out.

anymore suggestions?
i'd suggest the pickups first. iono which year ur strat was made, but stock MIM pickups are pretty bad... I think ur overdrive is good enough, and the pickups would give you more clarity. but u might need an overdrive afterall, because i think the 57/62 are lower output than the stock MIMs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i'd suggest the pickups first. iono which year ur strat was made, but stock MIM pickups are pretty bad... I think ur overdrive is good enough, and the pickups would give you more clarity. but u might need an overdrive afterall, because i think the 57/62 are lower output than the stock MIMs.

yeah, i am planning on getting both eventual. basically im just having trouble deciding which one to get first.
btw, if anyone has ideas about different pickups or an od i should try please share.
the pickups should probably hold on to your genre preference. i know ur not gonna be cranking the amp, or getting any clipping from ur clean channel of ur amp. for ur genre preference now, i don't think u'd need TOO much gain, so i'd say pickups first, and then get an OD later to replace the gain channels u got.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
wait. what? ECistheBest, when im playing in more of a blues trio setting, i crank the amp quite a bit.
ive done it at twelve. but normlly more like 7 or 8. this isnt all the time.
was it enough gain at 12? clean channel right? if it wasn't get a tubescreamer. a Maxon one has true bypass. another option is the Fulltone OCD.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh at 12 its more than enough gain haha. yeah clean channel. its pretty intesnse.
so are you suggesting i should go with the od first?
well if its more than enough at 12... go with an attenuator.

tedweber.com has loads of awesome speaker motor equipped attenuators.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
im not really worried about having too much volume. basically thiws is my problem. i love my clean tone. but, it could just be a little warmer and a tad bit less "fragile" sounding. (may be due to ceramic magnets, as opposed to alnicos). and i like the sound drive channel alot, but i prefer the sound of tubescreamers. so, eventually i will get both a new sert of pickups and a tubescreamer. but the quiestion is what to get first.
^thats waht you can do. also, upgrade ur volume/tone pots, and add a good treble bleed mod on ur volume control. that'll get you to lower the volume to get cleans, kick it up to get some drive from a tubescreamer. also, ur tone pot can do wonders. if u want it warmer, u can get it warmer. get a Sprague orange drop tone cap of .022uF or .047uF and put that as a tone cap. i got a .022, it works great. it doesn't lose the edge that i want.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i was actually thinking about upgrade my pots when i change pickups. but once again, i just need to figure out if i should do the pickups first or get an od.
wow, first of all man, i really liked the guitar work, nice job.

And i might suggest looking into 69's (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-69-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301637. More jimi hendrix like tone, that or texas specials which are more SRV. the overdrive on light my way seemed decent, so if i were you, id go for the pickups.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Quote by HeartInACage
wow, first of all man, i really liked the guitar work, nice job.

And i might suggest looking into 69's (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-69-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301637. More jimi hendrix like tone, that or texas specials which are more SRV. the overdrive on light my way seemed decent, so if i were you, id go for the pickups.

thanks for the compliment. i was actually gonna go with fat 50s or texas specials, but then i realised ill will probably be buying an american strat in a few years and will put one of them on it. i dont know its stupid, but i dont want to end up with a mexican that sounds better than an american that i may buy in the future. haha wow that is stupud. but yeah im leaning towards new pups. thanks for the help.

anyone else?
^i wouldn't go for the texas specials. i truly think that the Bridge pickup is WAY too hot, and it wouldn't nail the SRV tone with the neck pickup it comes with. '69s are decent recommendation tho.

look into GFS pickups on guitarfetish.com. they are pretty decent pickups, and they advertise very well. (good for them.) i'd go for the premium alnico sets. vintage.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Your playing sounds great. The tone was a little dry and.. how do say it.. not as smooth or creamy sounding as Hendrix - It's a common sound issue with modern strats.

I suggest new pups - My biggest first and foremost suggestion to you - Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Surfers. They are custom shop, and will cost slightly more, but less than an overdrive, and provide the closest thing to what would have been in Hendrix's strats, and I would suggest you try them out, and if you are short on money - the SSL-1's which are essentially the Antiquities, but with less 'mojo'. Its impossible to describe, but when it's there you'll know.
wow, thanks for all the suggestions. keep it all coming.
and ECisthe Best, i played the srv sig at a local music store and i really dug the sound, so i think i would like them. please keep the help coming.
or you could try barenuckle pickups. crazy expensive but amaaaazing tone.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
thanks, im always open to suggestions. but does anyone else have an opinion on what to get first, od or pickups?
Get an overdrive. Doesn't sound like there's anything inferior about the pickups. Just crank the amp's master and boost it with an OD, that should nicely dirty up your sound.

Good playing by the way, I listened to your stuff.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by chea_man
im not really worried about having too much volume. basically thiws is my problem. i love my clean tone. but, it could just be a little warmer and a tad bit less "fragile" sounding. (may be due to ceramic magnets, as opposed to alnicos). and i like the sound drive channel alot, but i prefer the sound of tubescreamers. so, eventually i will get both a new sert of pickups and a tubescreamer. but the quiestion is what to get first.

Alnico would definitely help. I suggest looking at other pickups, though, too.
sdpickups.com has some great pickups. I lust after their P-90's.

There's also a user here on UG who winds some fantastic pickups, I actually have a set.
his site is rockmonkeyguitars.com, I think. It's definitely worth checking out. Mention you're a UG-er for a discount. Oh, and tell him I sent ya.
^for an SRV tone, i'd get a single coil that's slightly overwound that has a bit of a low-mid scoop acting on it. that'd preserve the clean tone, not getting too woody, but having decent fatness by turning up the bass on ur amp..
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I like the clean parts, but the solo is a bit too rough/fuzzy/gritty (and I'm not a big fan of the HRDX). Go for the Tube Screamer.
Neither, your tone is good for the type of stuff you play, I would get a better wah pedal, you wahtone is VERY weak and not very good. Besides that, I dislike the strat-SRV-hendrix tone you are imitating.

So a new wah and another guitar. It's a waste of money to upgrade a bad guitar.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
I would get a better wah pedal, you wahtone is VERY weak and not very good.

+1
Quote by Muppet
Neither, your tone is good for the type of stuff you play, I would get a better wah pedal, you wahtone is VERY weak and not very good. Besides that, I dislike the strat-SRV-hendrix tone you are imitating.

So a new wah and another guitar. It's a waste of money to upgrade a bad guitar.

i do agree that i could use a new wah. however, there is nothing bad about my guitar except the pickups leave a little to be desired.
i have my eyes on a fulltone clyde deluxe, but first things first haha
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX01-Pickup-Booster-Effects-Pedal?sku=150710
Good compromise. True bypass... excellent pedal.

For the price of a tubescreamer, you can get an incredible overdrive which is superior in every way http://www.supersoundmusic.com/menatone.html - the red snapper, which is also true bypass, and just sings.

Good luck.

Edit: If you wanna go down the pickup route, check out GFS pickups. They're great, and very cheap too. http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Aug 26, 2007,
thanks oyu very much. haha people have helped me more after i thought the thread died then when i was bumping.