Now, that's not to say that I'm good at fingerstyle, I'm even worse at that. But most of my problems aren't coming from my left hand, since it was already pretty strong from Guitar Hero. (I know, GH isn't like a real guitar, blah blah, but it made my fingers pretty strong.) Instead I have trouble picking the right strings...I always end up picking the one adjacent to it instead.

I've been practicing scales, and some easy songs that require multi-string picking, but are there any good exercises I should practice or tips that you experienced UG'ers can share? thanks in advance.
ummm. scales are good. and just playing will get you better at it.
i <3 my gibson.

proud member of the anti-ibanez milita. my rg1570 was the crappiest guitar i've ever owned.

Quote by Rankles
Christ. I'd hate to see you break a pencil, you'd probably go on a killing spree.
learning sweep picking gave me a good feel for where the strings are, can you do that?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Hour - ****ing - Glass lol
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Hammett5
Hour - ****ing - Glass lol

that will do it too lol
i <3 my gibson.

proud member of the anti-ibanez milita. my rg1570 was the crappiest guitar i've ever owned.

Quote by Rankles
Christ. I'd hate to see you break a pencil, you'd probably go on a killing spree.
Pick control isn't easy. Its ok, just take your time and let your muscle get used to it. It won't be long till you feel better about it.
epic7734
dude, you dont learn guitar in a day like guitar hero, it takes practice, so stop complaining, stop typing, and go play your guitar, youll get better in time
I've been playing about 3.5 months...I haven't tried sweep picking yet, I'll look into it though.

So this is a common problem for noob guitarists? And, ah, what exactly is Hourglass?
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
learning sweep picking gave me a good feel for where the strings are, can you do that?

Are you serious? I didn't learn how to sweep until I'd been playing for a year and a half, and it took me 2 months to get it semi- good. That won't help him with pick control. Sweep picking is frustrating even if you do have good control over your pick.

To TS: Try keeping your pink on the bridge, then actually watch your hand while you play. It helped me a lot.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by i bleed metal
dude, you dont learn guitar in a day like guitar hero, it takes practice, so stop complaining, stop typing, and go play your guitar, youll get better in time

Amen
hourglass is a badass lamb of god song. and it takes a long time to get comfortable with picking.
i <3 my gibson.

Quote by Rankles
Quote by i bleed metal

I know, and I don't expect to. I came here looking for help, not accusations of being a GH noob that thinks that I can totally pwn Hangar 18 because I got 80% on medium. I realize that people spend their entire lifetime learning new things about the guitar, and that I won't pick it up within the 3.5 months I've been playing.

And where exactly did I complain?
Try playing arpeggios up the strings slowly, picking each one (make sure you alternate pick [switch direction of pick with each hit]) try it on a C Arpeggio that you I will post here:
Note, this goes low to high then high to low; the string is named, and the fret you are supposed to hit will be in brackets, it will be in ascending, descending order:

A (10) A (15) D (14) G (12) B (13) E (12) E (15) *E (20)* E (15) E (12) B (13) G (12) D (14) A (15) A (10)

*Optionals are marked in between asterisks eg. *E (20)*

That's it, try it slowly first, then continue with different patterns, it will improve your finger work as well!
Also make sure you practice with a metronome! I'm sure you'll figure it out
Also remember, this is a sweep, so in the long run, try and make it legato picking, and strum it like a chord.
Take care,
-Cas
Last edited by guitar_freak_20 at Aug 21, 2007,
Quote by Das_Skittles
Are you serious? I didn't learn how to sweep until I'd been playing for a year and a half, and it took me 2 months to get it semi- good. That won't help him with pick control. Sweep picking is frustrating even if you do have good control over your pick.

To TS: Try keeping your pink on the bridge, then actually watch your hand while you play. It helped me a lot.

OK then, I won't look into it. I'll try the pinky-on-the-bridge thing.

Quote by guitar_freak_20
Try playing arpeggios up the strings slowly, picking each one (make sure you alternate pick [switch direction of pick with each hit]) try it on a C Arpeggio that you I will post here:
Note, this goes low to high then high to low; the string is named, and the fret you are supposed to hit will be in brackets, it will be in ascending, descending order:

A (10) A (15) D (14) G (12) B (13) E (12) E (15) *E (20)* E (15) E (12) B (13) G (12) D (14) A (15) A (10)

*Optionals are marked in between asterisks eg. *E (20)*

That's it, try it slowly first, then continue with different patterns, it will improve your finger work as well!
Also make sure you practice with a metronome! I'm sure you'll figure it out

OK, thanks. Is there anywhere that I could find that as a tab? You don't have to tab it out personally, but if you knew where to find it that would be great.
Quote by dysonsphere
OK then, I won't look into it. I'll try the pinky-on-the-bridge thing.

Its not necessary to anchor your pinky to the bridge. Just do simple exercises, like chromatics and scales until you start getting better at it.
epic7734
If you keep playing you'll eventually remember where the strings are like 2nd nature. It'll be easy after you've practiced a while
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by dysonsphere
I know, and I don't expect to. I came here looking for help, not accusations of being a GH noob that thinks that I can totally pwn Hangar 18 because I got 80% on medium. I realize that people spend their entire lifetime learning new things about the guitar, and that I won't pick it up within the 3.5 months I've been playing.

And where exactly did I complain?

chill out dude, i was just trying to motivate you, just go ****ing jam
That's no way to motivate someone, well not a beginner anyway.
Keep trying exercises, try all of them, try each one you see, when one works for you, you'll know
Quote by guitar_freak_20
That's no way to motivate someone, well not a beginner anyway.
Keep trying exercises, try all of them, try each one you see, when one works for you, you'll know

o **** you, i told him to go play guitar and stop talking to us
Quote by guitar_freak_20
Haha well I was just going by his comment that you quoted, if that is just the case, that's fine

sweet
Haha, also dude you should try playing some jazz chord progs and decorate them, that's how I started.
Ok, I sent you the email. And I'll try the spider exercise in a few minutes, when my fingers stop being all wrinkly from the shower.