I have a question, if you find a guitar the plays really nice and all but doesnt have the right finish would you not buy it? Is it the finish that really sets it off for you?
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
behringer pedal:TO800, UD100, EQ700
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
-have succesful first show
playability>sound>finish for me
Guitars
Fender Highway One Telecaster
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120
Boss Chromatic Pedal Tuner

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Member of the Zeppelinism Faith
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
depentds on how much im spendin on it. and if its for recording or live use. itss gotta look good if your playin out, but its all about tone and feel in the studio.
i <3 my gibson.

proud member of the anti-ibanez milita. my rg1570 was the crappiest guitar i've ever owned.

Quote by Rankles
Christ. I'd hate to see you break a pencil, you'd probably go on a killing spree.
I don't care that much, such as if there was a good deal. I would take it for sure no matter the finish.

However, if it's a color I hate, and an alright deal, I wouldn't take it.

But I'm down with almost all finishes...like there are only a few I dislike. I feel like even if I hated the finish I could change the pickguard and voila!
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
like i found a blue telecaster and plays amazing but really want the artic white but man did the tele play good hey does anyone know if u can get a tele neck like the neck for a custom from tele?
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
the finish on some guitars puts me off to say the least. like some ibanez RGs that come in either metallic green, or metallic pink.. they'd be sweet axes otherwise.. but them finishes are god awful..
If it's a good guitar I don't care really but it can look a bit silly

Example: My Viper. I absolutely abhore the jungle camo finish, it's the tackiest thing ever, but it's an awesome guitar and it was the right price at the time so I bought it anyway.

I don't think I'd be 100% comfortable gigging with it though. I would do it but I'd feel silly with such an ugly guitar.
It depends. I actually prefer plainer finishes. I'm actually less drawn to a guitar that looks really nice because I know I'll screw it up after a few months anyway.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
well you have to love your guitar to love to play, and if you dont love its looks, then you wont love your guitar.
true sofar is seems that if it not a horrible finish just normal red blue and such people will play cuz if theres the factors of sounding good and playing good its not a big deal and is all the same just not the right colour hmm
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
I found out yesterday that it really doesnt matter for me. I went to the shop and they had a J Mascis Jazzmaster, which is purple and i hate with a passion, so for the hell of it i pick it up to play and short story short I want one now.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

nice im stuck between the artic white finish and just one that plays well and isnt my favorite colour i gotta wait till i get 550$ tho and how do you think it will sound with my valveking?
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
If a guitar doesn't have a finish I like, I don't feel the constant urge to pick it up and play it in the first place. So for me, finish is very important. If an instrument doesn't catch my eye and grab my attention, I'm never going to be picking it up.
Quote by Wayward_Son
It depends. I actually prefer plainer finishes. I'm actually less drawn to a guitar that looks really nice because I know I'll screw it up after a few months anyway.

I used to be into shiny stained maple tops when I started looking for my own electric, and I thought rear routing was the way to go to show off as much of the body as possible. I had the use of an old strat for a while then I ended up buying a standard Telecaster because I love the sound of them. I doesn't look as nice as the SZ Ibanezes I had my eye on, but I've come to love the solid colour and retro styling and I really give the scratch plate a workout. If I had a pretty looking rear routed guitar I'd have taken most of the finish off by now.

I also have a satin finished plain maple neck. Those coloured les paul necks look cool, but the colour wears off anyway.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
i wouldn't buy it.
epiphone only produce lefty g400's in cherry
and that is the sole reason why i'm not buying one.

that cherry colour is disgusting
I have the sg in cherry I think it looks good, though the finish cracks way too easy dont you hate when you dont know where the crack comes from though.
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
I play a metallic green Fender strat. The colour is not "me", but who cares. Usually i play black guitars to suit my colourless selection of clothes... but this was a fender strat i could afford. thats good enough for me.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I buy a guitar for the playability and the sound like pretty much but... i wouldn't buy a guitar for a finish. So in other words if it looks like the guitar was lieing in water before it was finished i probably wouldn't get it. e.g. the gibson bfg.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
Finish does play a relatively large part in my decision making as to whether or not I would buy a certain guitar, but it isn't necessarily the factor that decides yay or nay.

I mean, I think that if you look hard enough you will find the guitar you want with the finish you want.

My friend was looking for a Les Paul within his price range (about $500-$600), but online could only find poor finishes. However, when he went to the store he found an amazing finish.
Probably not, because I could always refinish it to my liking.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I picked my Epiphone Les Paul Classic over an Epi standard because of its beautiful red quilt top, but I don't feel bad because I can't find a difference between the classic and standard Epiphones anyways (other than the finishes, and the standard comes with a pickguard and chorme humbucker covers)

On the other hand I bought my RG because is played amazing and was really cheap, even though I thought the finish was really ugly, but that's easily fixable with some hardwork and sandpaper
Strange as though it may seem, I actually think it's not a bad idea to pick the finish first. That way, when you're in a guitar shop, you can pick the finish you like most, play the guitar, and if it's nice and it's what you want, you buy it. However if, in some unfortunate circumstances, the shop only had 2 finishes, and you played one (and loved it, but not the finish), you could easily force yourself into buying the other one because of the finish. The one with that preferred finish may not play as well as the one in the finish you didn't like.

Edit : And my favourite finishes are usually LP Goldtops. Gorgeous when they're exactly right.
Well, that's a good question. I love 60's-styled strats, but the finishes on them aren't really that nice. I'm looking for an Olympic white one, but only the American Vintage ones come in that finish. I guess I better start saving, because that finish is orgasmic with the mint pickguard.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID