ok so I am not sure if I have everything I need to make a pc, I'll list parts I have.

Case
Motherboard
Processor
600w power supply
liquid cooling system
4 gigs of RAM
sound card
dual video cards (256mb each)
DVD+rw dual layer disk drive
500gig HDD
floppy drive
keyboard / mouse
32" LCD monitor
10 tubes of IcyHot
Z and R macro for barrel rolls

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions on parts? I am not sure if my power supply is large enough or if I should get 512mb video cards. Thanks for any help.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
yeah sounds like you have everything
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Quote by davebooska
make sure you have SLI for the video cards

yeah, I made sure of that.

Another question, what do 'round cables' mean? I can order those but I don't see the point in having round cables.

Quote by Eminored
I think you might need some mudkipz, but yeah it looks good. Cooling is very very important. Keep that icyhot at hand.

Wait a floppy drive? Rarely anyone uses those. Make sure you got a good case too.
Case also has two fans and mudkipz standard
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Is this really stupid of me?

A plug to the mains.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
why the hell do you need 500 gb HD?
I've had my computer for 2 years. i have movies and around 2,500+ songs.
Flash, photoshop, 3DS MAX, image ready, dreamweaver, counter stike, CS:S,CS:CZ and a bunch of other things and i only have like 160GB on mine. and of all that only about 40% is used.

AND what do you have for a Processor? and whats the speed of it?
I have 30 gigs of music, plus any most new gamers are pretty large. Not to mention pr0n.

I'm also thinking of going with an Intel Duo 2 Quad 2.4GHz processor.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
I have 30 gigs of music, plus any most new gamers are pretty large. Not to mention pr0n.

I'm also thinking of going with an Intel Duo 2 Quad 2.4GHz processor.

How much is this going to cost? It sounds like you might have won the lottery.
Man, you have a ridiculously powerful machine. 600W is enough to power just about anything, unless perhaps you have a 16x16 processor combination and 40GB of ram with 20 heatsink/fan combonations and 8 41" widescreen monitors.

You know how to put it together right? It'd be a shame if you were to shock your motherboard or CPU.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by JDawg
How much is this going to cost? It sounds like you might have won the lottery.

Not the lottery, I just have been saving for college for almost 3 years and I got more grants than I thought I would. So I have left over money I should put to good use. And by good use I mean Orange Box.

Quote by Muphin
Man, you have a ridiculously powerful machine. 600W is enough to power just about anything, unless perhaps you have a 16x16 processor combination and 40GB of ram with 20 heatsink/fan combonations and 8 41" widescreen monitors.

You know how to put it together right? It'd be a shame if you were to shock your motherboard or CPU.
I was just wondering because I was looking at the Alienware sight and their PC's come with 1000w power supplies. I thought that was a little excessive but it might not be. Yeah, I know how to put it together. I was just making sure I wasn't missing any valuable parts before I order them. Would be a same to get every part but one and have to wait another couple weeks before I could put them darn thing together.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Last edited by i have to pee at Aug 21, 2007,
What brand is it. Brand is often very important in PSU's:

<technical rant>

Often cheap brands will give more ampeage to lower voltages to easily raise voltage. However, the parts that matter in your computer use higher (12V) voltages, and since they skimp on these in order to make it cheaper, it can't supply the needed ampeage despite it being a high wattage.

</technical rant>

If it's a good brand, chances are it's good. Otherwise, you might want to invest in a better PSU. It's worth it, if that thing screws up it can take your whole system with you.

600W of a good brand is more than enough for any gaming rig. 1000W is downright excessive, really the only use is for servers and such.

Oh, and don't look at Alienware. Alienware is crap, in case you didn't know.

I also HIGHLY recommend you check this website out: www.anandtech.com

The people there know more about this stuff than I do. When I say highly recommend, I mean visit it before you build the rig.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

^ Yes, make sure you splurge on your PSU. I spend $100 on my 350W Enermax power supply, which was supposed to be a great brand, and it crapped out after 2 years. By the way, I bought it to replace my stock PSU, which blew up after 3 months.

Well, my Enermax still works, but the stupid thing won't start up until I drain the capacitors by removing the power source for about 10 seconds. Plus the ****ing piece of **** never actually stops pumping the juice. The mouse light stays on 24/7 and my studio monitors squeal when the computer it "off" and they are still on, thanks to the PSU still powering the PCI bus.

/rant.

So get a good thermaltake PSU.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I am buying the best brands I can. I don't want to risk saving a little extra money just to have to buy a new part when the cheap on craps out.

I know alienwares are crap. I was just wondering how much they price gouged. It is a lot.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Get at least a 700watt power supply and make sure its a good brand. Also get a single 8800 card as it will be better than 2 256mb cards and it gives you the option of SLI in the future.

A good power supply is essential. If the power supply cant handle the load then your whole system dies. The dude wh says that a 600 watt psu will power anything is talking pure sh.it.

Another thing make sure your motheroard is 680i as there are some 650i mobos out there that advertise SLI. SLI mode on a 650i board only runs at half speed.

BTW, if those alienware pc's have dual gtx's in SLI then I wouldnt call 1000watts excssive. Its always good to have a some headroom with a psu as the advertised wattage is the MAX wattage. It would not be able to run constantly at the highest watage in most cases.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Last edited by tpot06 at Aug 21, 2007,
Quote by tpot06
A good power supply is essential. If the power supply cant handle the load then your whole system dies. The dude wh says that a 600 watt psu will power anything is talking pure sh.it.

A 400W PSU powers an Athlon X2 3600+ system just fine. I don't see why the hell you'd need twice that for a workstation computer.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Get a Lian-Li or Antec case for excellent liquid cooling.
I recommend the Antec p-190
Quote by Muphin
A 400W PSU powers an Athlon X2 3600+ system just fine. I don't see why the hell you'd need twice that for a workstation computer.

Well for a start,you've only given me a cpu name. What else is in the machine? The GPU is the main power draw and its a well known fact that SLI is inefficient in its power consumption. Like I said its always better to have a little headroom in the PSU. The 8800 series cards are recommended to run in a system with at least 650 watts. And thats just for the GTS. The GTX is something like 750. Thats a single card by the way.
Just a PCI-E GeForce 6600.

I can see a video-editing machine needing over 500W to power all those displays, but I can't imagine a single-head workstation ever needing more than that.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Just a PCI-E GeForce 6600.

I can see a video-editing machine needing over 500W to power all those displays, but I can't imagine a single-head workstation ever needing more than that.

Thats an old card. I built my own rig and I have a 670watt coolermaster power supply and it BARELY powers my machine. I may have to upgrade it soon.

The closer to max capacity your psu operates at, the hotter it becomes, the hotter it becomes, the less reliable the component becomes. A dodgy PSU is the last thing a PC builder needs.

Last edited by tpot06 at Aug 22, 2007,
Thanks for the info guys. I look around some and I think I'll get one high end video card instead of two decent ones. I'll upgrade to at least a 750w PSU as well. I'm debating whether I should drop one of my 2gig sticks of ram for a 1gig stick. That gives me 3gigs and that should be good for now.

Oh and I do do a lot of music and video editing. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with buying a sound card. Onboard sound cards are fine with me when I'm playing games but if I'm doing things with music, I need something good.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
^2 gigs is enough, jeez! mine runs happily on 768MB!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
^2 gigs is enough, jeez! mine runs happily on 768MB!

But do you play CS:S at 100fps? And I'm sure the new HL (aka Orange Box) will be state of the art and need some pwn memory.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
Thanks for the info guys. I look around some and I think I'll get one high end video card instead of two decent ones. I'll upgrade to at least a 750w PSU as well. I'm debating whether I should drop one of my 2gig sticks of ram for a 1gig stick. That gives me 3gigs and that should be good for now.

Oh and I do do a lot of music and video editing. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with buying a sound card. Onboard sound cards are fine with me when I'm playing games but if I'm doing things with music, I need something good.

If you're sticking with XP then 3GB is enough as thats all XP can read. Remember to configure it for dual channel (2x1gb sticks, 2x512gb sicks). If you're gonna run vista for DX10 then go with the 4GB, it will only improve performance.

Also, what speed is your RAM i wouldnt suggest going over DDR2-1066, as most of the memory above that just isnt worth the added price for minimal performance gains. DDR2-800 would be fine.

GET A 8800 GTX, it smokes 2 256mb cards in SLIand then you could have 2 8800GTX's in SLI in the future. Its expensive but no other card comes close.
Last edited by tpot06 at Aug 22, 2007,
Ugh, I hate computers. There are at least a thousand things to consider, plus the fact that the choice of RAM that works optimally with your CPU, GFX that work optimally with your mobo and so on... After building four computers myself, I'm now swearing I'll buy nothing but pre-built pacakge ones.
I'm a communist. Really.
scrap the 6600s and get an 8800gts its a brilliant card.

if you're going 32bit 2-3gb will be fine, it wont see anymore unless you use a 64bit os
Quote by leigh_r
scrap the 6600s and get an 8800gts its a brilliant card.

if you're going 32bit 2-3gb will be fine, it wont see anymore unless you use a 64bit os

Vista 32bit would detect it I think. He may as well go for the GTX though.

I have a GTS and its a great card but with a large monitor (32 inch), chances are that he'll be gaming at some pretty high resolutions, so the extra memory would come in handy on a GTX. That and aslo the fact that it bosses the GTS in every single benchmark.
I'm going with Vista, so the 4 gig I'll stick with. The RAM I have in my cart is DDR2-800.

I looked at the 8800 GTX and those are expensive. Not one under $500. Ridiculously over priced if you ask me.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by i have to pee
I'm going with Vista, so the 4 gig I'll stick with. The RAM I have in my cart is DDR2-800.

I looked at the 8800 GTX and those are expensive. Not one under $500. Ridiculously over priced if you ask me.

Theyere the best card you can buy though. If you don't like the price of that card then I suggest you invest in a 8800GTS 640MB or a 2900XTX. Both are the closest thing to a GTX , aweome cards and pretty similar in terms of performance. The GTS s cheaper though (you can pick one up for under $400) and, from personal experience, I can tell you that its an awesome card.

The rig you're building looks pretty damn good, I must say. Similar to mines but with a quad core (which ill be getting soon). Good luck with the build man.

PM me and let me know how it goes.
Last edited by tpot06 at Aug 23, 2007,
watch out with the dual core if you are a gamer

Some games you get kicked for speedhacking because of the processor

Annoys me alot
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!