OK
so last week, my friend calls me up and tells me that she got this new guitar, her mom went with her to the music store, purchased this guitar with her as an early xmas/birthday/you wont be getting presents for years now gift, and it was an eric clapton signature strat, the candy green one.
now
shes calls me up today, and tells me that her new guitar just isnt for her, and that she wants to GIVE ME THE GUITAR!!!
so im getting a FREE eric clapton strat
*does the homer simpson drool*

but heres the catch

by accepting this gift, ill feel like **** for accepting something that is WAY WAY WAY pricey....

i mean, if somone you knew got a rolls royce, or a brand new mercedes, decided they didnt want it and just gave it to you, whatwould you think??

i dunno what to do,
advice??

*edit*
here's the link, incase some of you arent sure what im talking about...
same guitar, but in black or pewter
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Last edited by benEboy2008 at Aug 22, 2007,
The obvious answer is, accept the guitar.

The ethical answer is, explain to her how much it's worth and tell her to either try to get a refund or sell it on E-Bay.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
dang...thats a tough one, I personally would not accept it, since she could use it against you for something you dont want to do, things like that, and I dont like eric clampton..haha, but yeah, it also depends how good of friends you are.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I wouldn't take it. Tell her how much it's worth or have her return it, I'd feel weird just taking that sort of guitar.
well technically since her mom bought the guitar for her it technically belongs to her so she can do w/e she wants with it, but ya then it's kinda sad that the mom wasted her money so she could give u the guitar, i wouldn't take it if i were u.
gah. just take it. give it back if she ever makes a big deal out of it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I think it's ****ty of her to give such an amazing gift away. I'd never buy her anything again if I were her parent. Secondly, I sort of suspect that she might have a thing for you. Whether you're accepting of such advances or not, I wouldn't accept the guitar. However if you have no moral compass, go for it. If she's stupid enough to want to throw it away, that's on her.
shes twenty two and lives on her own,
they both have some money, they arent dirt poor in anycase.
so it wouldnt be as bad as if she were 17 and her mom had saved pennies for ages just to buy her a six string that she wnet a gave a way a week later...
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
oh, in that case, just take it. maybe offer her one of your guitars if you have one laying around as a trade or something.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
oh, in that case, just take it. maybe offer her one of your guitars if you have one laying around as a trade or something.

see thats what i was thinking too, we could just trade strats or somthing, but that strat was my first ever electric, and that would me me feel just as ****ty sense it has that sentimental value along with it,
both of my guitars were my first, so i really dont have one i could just trade away you know?
Quote by CORT noob
Quote by Sid McCall

Thats what I would do, even to the point of buying her one she likes (cheaper of course)
^ yeah that was my second idea. do you have money to spend on one for her?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
i really dont have a whole lot of money, thats the thing, ive been saving up for a fender champ 600 and i should easily have that by my next pay check, but if i go out and buy her a guitar theres always gonna be that issue of how much do i spend? what kinda guitar is she gonna like?
she mostly plays acoustic so its hard to say what kind of electric she would be keen on.

lol im an idiot!!
i should find her a nice acoustic!!
Quote by CORT noob
Last edited by benEboy2008 at Aug 22, 2007,
Oh man the thought of the clapton strat through a champ 600...it makes me want to throw morals out of the window. Talk to her about it and express your feelings. That's the Dr. Phil way to go about it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by fifer
dang...thats a tough one, I personally would not accept it, since she could use it against you for something you dont want to do, things like that, and I dont like eric clampton..haha, but yeah, it also depends how good of friends you are.

WHO CARES! I would drag my penis across 10 miles of broken glass just to HOLD one of those for 30 minutes
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
ok, so i think ive made a decision,
im gonna accept it
BUT i told her that im gonna repay her in one way or another, whether it be sexual favors or me surprising her with a nice acoustic lol
either way i have no clue how i truly show somone my gratitude for a 1500 dollar gift.
Quote by CORT noob
Quote by Guitarman015
WHO CARES! I would drag my penis across 10 miles of broken glass just to HOLD one of those for 30 minutes

Haha! Mr morality! No offense mate!

Anyways, that's a tough one mate. But you should've said you and her were legally adults! Your opening post made it sound like ya'll weren't legal yet! If that were so, then it would be a definite no go but the best thing to do would be to have her talk it out with her mum, and you should make a trade, probably an acoustic since she's into that kinda thing. That would probably be best but since her mum bought it for her, ya'll have to get her approval or the mother wouldn't be pleased and your friend would be the one bearing the consequences.

On the other hand though, I don't see how you can pass this deal up?! Just JOKING!!
Current Rig:

Ibanez GRG270dx
DOD 40watt amp (don't know the model)
Dunlop Crybaby (moded)

I know it's sad but it'll do for now.

Member of the Nasi Lemak Appreciation Club!
Quote by benEboy2008
im gonna accept it
BUT i told her that im gonna repay her in one way or another, whether it be sexual favors or me surprising her with a nice acoustic lol
either way i have no clue how i truly show somone my gratitude for a 1500 dollar gift.

It's better to give then to receive.

Can i have it?
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Quote by benEboy2008
im gonna accept it

sexual favors ftw.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by benEboy2008
im gonna accept it
Like anyone really doubted that.
Quote by teegee420
Like anyone really doubted that.

yes but unlike some, i actually found it a hard decision to make
didnt i?
Quote by CORT noob
Quote by benEboy2008
yes but unlike some, i actually found it a hard decision to make
didnt i?
In the span of less than an hour? You didn't exactly search your soul, now did you? I don't think anybody could have convinced you to not accept the guitar. It's cool, though. I'm not passing judgement. I need a friend like that!
Like someone else said, I would accept it and buy her one that she really likes, or I wouldn't accept it at all (most likely the latter though).

Or, kriby's idea sounds good.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by stangconv
Thats what I would do, even to the point of buying her one she likes (cheaper of course)

Agreed. Offer her a trade.