Page 1 of 3
everytime i talk to my drummers lil bassist brother jordie we alwase get into the effects argument i say theres nothing wrong with them.....
he sais that bass effects are for bassist that are over compensating for a lack of ability.....

thaughts?

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Disagree! There are some tones you simply can't get without effects. I'd like to see any bassist or guitarist take their instrument and figure out a way to make their instrument sound like it has a chorus or a phaser without the effect pedal. And just 'cause someone uses effects doesn't mean that they're covering up their mistakes or lack of ability. Look at Zakk Wylde or P-nut or Victor Wooten just about any other musician out there (bass or guitar), would you say that they're just covering up their lack of talent?
My rig:

Guitars:
Ibanez Jetking 2 (electric)
Hohner HW300-G TBK (acoustic)

Amps:
Peavey Encore 65
Crate CP-150 and building my own cabinet in the summer

Effects:
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
you can certainly cover things up with effects though, i find wahs tend to make long scale runs sound much smoother and when i play really complicated riffs distorted it sounds sweet but i find the second you take that distortion away it sounds sloppy, which is why it is always a good idea to learn something minus the effects
I'm not a fan of distortion with bass, but wah is awesome!
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
haha, thats retarded. effects are awesome in moderation. listen to muse. it sounds sweet
Cheeze its

Member of the "MATT BELLAMY > SHRED" clan

Pfft. I have an envelope filter and it is awesome. It gives it a sweet sound and if you put it in at the right time it sounds AMAZING.

It is not used because lack of ability. It just sounds awesome from time to time.

~Frussie

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
Bullshit. You could just as easily accuse someone of covering up their lack of ability by not doing anything like using effects to stand out.

Fact is, some people like 'em, some don't. Some people overuse them, lay them on too thick, use them when they're not appropriate. Some people know and understand how to use them and how electric instruments actually work, and thus sound good with them.

Most people don't.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Narcotics

he sais that bass effects are for bassist that are over compensating for a lack of ability.....

thaughts?

If he wanna go down that route -

Guitar effects for a guitarist are over compensating for lack of ability. Just cos you cant get the distortion you want from your strat and marshall amp doesnt mean you should go out and buy a tubescreamer for example. Just play damn harder and turn it to 10!

Effects add dynamics to your music basically. They can add a sound which would not otherwise be possible - reverb, flanger, synthesisation (that a real word?). It'll stop thing getting boring and adds a new dimension to your compositions.

Effects are also what makes the guitar the most versitile instrument because you can manipulate the signal all too easily. This probably makes it one of the most beautiful too.

Remember, analouge effects always sound better than digital. Digital effects are usually built cheaper and this leads to poor quality, not to mention the sound quality is affected. Also digital devices have a habit of compressing your sound during the analouge/digital/analouge stages, this could remove all those nuances which are perhaps unique to your playing and give you your tone.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
in my opinion, effects can be a necessity. Distortion on an electric guitar, no matter how much or how little, sounds a lot better than a purely clean guitar sound- it's sounds far too trebley and clangy.

For bass, effects don't cover up lack of talent, but simply add to the atmosphere of the music. It takes a good ear, knowledge and vision to use effects right. Surely, instead of removing talent, there is extra talent by using effects well?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
in my opinion, effects can be a necessity. Distortion on an electric guitar, no matter how much or how little, sounds a lot better than a purely clean guitar sound- it's sounds far too trebley and clangy.

Well, maybe not distortion as such, but a lot of people just don't realise that you very rarely hear a purely clean guitar on a record. It's practically standard procedure to add reverb, touches of chorus and delay et cetera to a clean guitar track just to make it sit better in the mix. Without even getting into compression, noisegating etc.

Even with bass, in my experience studio engineers goggle at you if you're running a completely dry setup.

And I agree that using effects well takes a great deal of talent, a good ear for music and the role of the bass, and knowledge of how the effects work, how your bass works and how your amp works. And a healthy dose of trial and error, of course.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I have to concur with Deliriumbassist, that effects can add a certain atmosphere or feel to a piece of music and your playing. The only caveat I would give is that before you start buying them as "bright shiny objects" work on getting your playing and tone to a competent level, and then add in your effects. You''ll put them to better use and understand their place in your own style and the music you play. Otherwise, there will be a tendency to either misuse or overuse an effect.
Yeah definitely define a fairly steady genre that you know you will play. For example I was going to buy a distortion for Sabbathy type stuff, but we weren't really set on a genre, now that we settled on Funky fusion that distortion would be out of place and that would be $200 out of pocket.
that guys an idiot
effects are used to make things more interesting and better, just look at Justin Chancellor, i don't think i'd find him half as interesting without his effects
i use effects all the time. iuse a wah, a q-tron and a metal muff and they are not overcompensating for my lack of ability. they give me new tones and sounds on the fly so i can do different things AND DIFFERENT SOUNDS.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
theres a line between cool effects and over use. if you dont cross the line youll sound great, but once the line is crossed it sounds terrible *cough*cliff*cough*
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
again....you do what you have to to make the song sound full, and if a little distortion, or a little chorus is what u need....then you f'ing use them.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I used to be slightly against effects, until i finally used them. Now I think that they are awesome!
poop
Last edited by awseomeguy at Aug 22, 2007,
Quote by bassman10101
theres a line between cool effects and over use. if you dont cross the line youll sound great, but once the line is crossed it sounds terrible *cough*cliff*cough*

I personally think that Cliff had a very good distorted tone.
I think it sounded like a kazoo through a mic with no pop shield, but to each their own.
right now, i'm using a multi effect pedal and i love it cuz its got some cool sounds for all the different styles that i like to play.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
It all depends. Look at Jaco. For the atmosphere in Portrait of Tracy he used a little chorus to get "dreamy" feel. He used distortion and delay too.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by Deliriumbassist

depends on what sound you like, i personally love the sparkly pure clean tone of an electric guitar, maybe you haven't listened to enough good guitars

i think FX are good, even if i never seem to use any, more to do with LACK OF MONEY rather than not liking them.

Quote by Caustic
Well, maybe not distortion as such, but a lot of people just don't realise that you very rarely hear a purely clean guitar on a record. It's practically standard procedure to add reverb, touches of chorus and delay et cetera to a clean guitar track just to make it sit better in the mix. Without even getting into compression, noisegating etc.

yeah i mean those kinds of fx, like compression, EQ, stereo choruses on guitars and reverb are what make professional recordings what they are, if it weren't for that, they would just sound like one of those things done by those ****ty bands with like 12 freinds on myspace has done. (no offence or anything to ne1)

Quote by Lendorav
I personally think that Cliff had a very good distorted tone.

unforturnately lacking a lot in low end tho
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Aug 22, 2007,
i myself don't use any effects (sept for learning others peoples songs) but i have nothing against them they make the sound different/ a bit of variation isn't a bad thing
its not rape if you shout suprise
i <3 my chorus, overdrive and fuzz

me melts
Fender Jazz -> Line 6 Bass Podxt Live -> SWR Working Man

I know you like it
People who say stuff like that are just compensating for their inability to use effects correctly.

There is a time and a place for using effects, and if you don't use them right (or don't use them at all), it could turna great song into a crap song. Think about "Song 2" by Blur, for example. If they had used a clean bass instead of a distorted bass, no one would want to listen to it.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by MANSKIRT-MAN138
Disagree! There are some tones you simply can't get without effects. I'd like to see any bassist or guitarist take their instrument and figure out a way to make their instrument sound like it has a chorus or a phaser without the effect pedal. And just 'cause someone uses effects doesn't mean that they're covering up their mistakes or lack of ability. Look at Zakk Wylde or P-nut or Victor Wooten just about any other musician out there (bass or guitar), would you say that they're just covering up their lack of talent?

Zakk Wylde yes... all he does is pick fast and fret notes alot... with distortion.

I do disagree with his little brother though... Just because someone uses an effect, doesnt mean they are a bad player... I couldnt give examples because I dont care who uses them or not though...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by silentdob
Zakk Wylde yes... all he does is pick fast and fret notes alot... with distortion.

You forgot playing pinch harmonics at the end of EVERY measure.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
also. the style of the music. i dont think i'll ever hear the song raining blood by slayer clean and stripped down to no effects...and personally. i am glad. the song sounds better as distorted as it is.

everything would sound the same and remain so mundane.
Bass fills in the gaps, gaps sound bad with the overdrive and a wah

effects should only be used on bass if theres 1 guitar 1 bass 1 drummer

if theres too many instruments then the effects will sound bad
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue

Not necessarily. May I refer you to Nine Inch Nails?
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Quote by 14shadesofblue

Support statement or gtfo.

I should have that statement linked to a button on my keyboard, but daft blanket statements like that really call for it. And there are plenty of them.

EDIT: WTF. You're a Tool fan, who's a bassist, but you're against effects being used on bass and say bass is there to "fill in the gaps"?

We listening to the same Tool, man?
Last edited by Caustic at Aug 22, 2007,
And i suppose good tone also just compensates a lack of ability too?
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
Quote by Caustic
Support statement or gtfo.

I should have that statement linked to a button on my keyboard, but daft blanket statements like that really call for it. And there are plenty of them.

EDIT: WTF. You're a Tool fan, who's a bassist, but you're against effects being used on bass and say bass is there to "fill in the gaps"?

We listening to the same Tool, man?

did you not read what i said as the exception?

Tool has 1 drummer 1 guitar 1 bass, i said thats ok with effects

stuff with 2 guitarists usually cover the bass up quite a bit and trying to stand out with an effect is a bad thing sometimes

but bass is usually there to fill in the gaps and to keep rhythm along with the drummer
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
completely untrue. using effects right can make basslines sound better than ever before
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
My rule for bass effects is thus:

1. A little goes a long way when you want a real bass sound

2. A lot totally rocks when I want my bass to sound like a throbing dance song synth sample... come on doesn't anyone else like doing that?

3. A wee bit of chorus is glorious

4. no reverb... ever!!... wait, except with the dance sample bit everything goes then.
Page 1 of 3