Well, today I was thinking. When stuff fizzles/explodes/combusts, that is awesome. Due to my enjoyment of these things, I started wondering if there are any household products that can be mixed together to make some minor mayhem.

This got me thinking about salt. It is pretty much NaCl, or sodium chloride. Sodium, when put in water, fizzles and does cool stuff. I was wondering, if I purchased a mighty great heap of table salt could I somehow separate the chlorine and the sodium? I am aware that chlorine gas can be deadly so I would have to be careful, with that but yeah, I was wondering if any science-illiterate UGers could help here.

???

Edit: Sorry, I mean 'literate'. I've had a long day.
Last edited by jhardcore at Aug 22, 2007,
Have you got a flux capacitor or a nuclear reactor?

And you want science illiterate to help you? Why not ask the literate ones
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Yes you can
but its got to be molten
and you'll need anode and cathodes.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
You need to heat the salt to 801 degrees Celsius and then place in an anode and a cathode. The Na will form on the cathode (-ve electrode) and the Cl will come off as a pungent green gas at the anode (+ve electrode)....

I hope I havent got the electrodes mixed up ... That would be embarrassing... Oh and you need to do it in an inert environment.. Say in Argon... And you need to pump out the Cl....

(I could tell you how to make explosives from household chemicals but then again, I better not.. I could get into trouble... )
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
In a word, NO.

You would be better off buying pure sodium from some science supply site. I know they have ones that don't check if you're really a company. People use sites like that to get chemicals to make all sorts of drugs. The internet is your friend.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Or mix the sodium chloride with a more reactive +ve ion dissolved in water, so that the more reactive one (Mg, maybe?) steals the Cl? (I've forgotten the scientific terminology)

edit: ^ yeah, buying pure sodium is probably your best bet.
Quote by i have to pee
In a word, NO.

You would be better off buying pure sodium from some science supply site. I know they have ones that don't check if you're really a company. People use sites like that to get chemicals to make all sorts of drugs. The internet is your friend.

+1
Quote by mh400nt

"Emo Gay"

"Normal Gay"

But where do My Chemical Romance fit in

if you like fizzes why dont you play with coke and mentoes

little bit easier for you
I had a good sig once....

ah who am i kidding
Quote by pAmpH
At school we did an experiment that got the Chlorine out of salt...

Let me guess.

You dissolved the salt in some water and put some electrodes in it and chlorine came off...

You made NaOH .... The OH- ions "substituted" the Cl- ions to form NaOH... Not pure Na.
once in science we were doing stuff with methylated spirits and my mate had a pipette full. anyway the tip of the pipette caught fire, dont ask me how, so my mate squeezed the pipette and it turned into some sort of flame thrower and set his book on fire. my science teacher just laughed as my mate panicked trying to blow the book out but just spreading the fire on to the results of the experiment.
I had a good sig once....

ah who am i kidding
Quote by *Ryan*
once in science we were doing stuff with methylated spirits and my mate had a pipette full. anyway the tip of the pipette caught fire, dont ask me how, so my mate squeezed the pipette and it turned into some sort of flame thrower and set his book on fire. my science teacher just laughed as my mate panicked trying to blow the book out but just spreading the fire on to the results of the experiment.

have a medal

TS, as has been said before... well, I paraphrase... don't bother, you probably won't have an anode or a cathode lying around, and if you don't know how to get pure sodium out of salt, should you really be messing around with sodium in an uncontrolled environment like your bedroom at all?
I agree with the advice not to mess about with chemicals in your bedroom ... this includes the ones you get from your mate Dave on Saturday night.

But hey we have all messed around blowing stuff up when we were little ... i know i did. Your best bet is to make sure you do any dicking about in a big open field where there is loads of space to run away.

I'm not going to post any of the cool stuff i did when i was little because most of it's illegal and/or stupid and could easily have gotten me or someone else hurt - my conscience would kill me if i gave you the whole of something to try and you got hurt.

But here's something that might get you started - a Tennis Ball and Syringe. I'm not going to tell you any more than that (i.e. what else you use) but basically what you end up with is a bouncing bomb that explodes throwing the household equivalent of napalm everywhere ... hence the big open field so you can run a long way away.

Another thing, since most easy fun explosive stuff requires fire; a long stick with a rag on the end is your best friend ... at least 5 foot long. A big bang is one thing - a trip to casualty and no hand is another.
Quote by philjay
*Picks up TT like handbag and smacks you over the head like an angry granny *
Try that with your rocker 30

Latest Songs & Poems

[thread="1404112"] Blaze (Music)[/thread]
[thread="1207211"] Evening Sunshine (Music)[/thread]
[thread="899566"] To Wonder (Music)[/thread]
[thread="960046"]Dreams[/thread]
if i remember correctly the process is electrolysis of brine and you will need an electrolysis vessel and copious amounts of electricity, so you can't do it at home.
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

Quote by newbe guitarist
if i remember correctly the process is electrolysis of brine and you will need an electrolysis vessel and copious amounts of electricity, so you can't do it at home.

That makes Sodium Hydroxide not pure Sodium..

It is possible to make Sodium Hydroxide at home.

All you need is 2 pencil lead2 (acting as electrodes), a 9 volt battery, a bowl of water with salt in it and an open window!
Quote by blue_strat
Or mix the sodium chloride with a more reactive +ve ion dissolved in water, so that the more reactive one (Mg, maybe?) steals the Cl? (I've forgotten the scientific terminology)

edit: ^ yeah, buying pure sodium is probably your best bet.

Magnesium is not more reactive than sodium. Chances are that if you find an element more reactive than sodium (like potassium) its probably more fun and dangerous to play with anyway.
Quote by gflip69
Someone called me on my landline (home phone) and asked me where I was.
Quote by Guitardude19

All you need is 2 pencil lead2 (acting as electrodes), a 9 volt battery, a bowl of water with salt in it and an open window!

Pencils are not lead
It's graphite, due to the plate like structure or that alletrope of carbon layers of graphite are left on the page.

But i agree with the just buy it idea, too much hasssle to do in an uncontroled environment.

xchrisx
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by MetalheadA7X
Pencils are not lead
It's graphite, due to the plate like structure or that alletrope of carbon layers of graphite are left on the page.

But i agree with the just buy it idea, too much hasssle to do in an uncontroled environment.

xchrisx

I know its graphite... But I still call it "pencil lead".... cause its what its called round here...
Quote by Guitardude19

Yea the chlorine gets displaced, so you get the gas, which you could collect and do something with...
Gibson Les Paul Std double cut-away
Taylor K-14CE Koa back and front
Epiphone LP standard
Line 6 Flextone 150w
Kam 800w 15inch PA
Yamaha FG720S
Line 6 UXII tone port
Microkorg
Quote by Guitardude19
I know its graphite... But I still call it "pencil lead".... cause its what its called round here...

It is called a pencil lead, but it does not have the same properties of the element lead, which is where i have got a bit confused.

But anodes and cathodes are graphite yes?

Been a while since i did science
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by MetalheadA7X
It is called a pencil lead, but it does not have the same properties of the element lead, which is where i have got a bit confused.

But anodes and cathodes are graphite yes?

Been a while since i did science

Its cool dude.

Graphite is one type of electrode. It depends on what you are electrolysing really.

With electrolysis of brine, you want graphite because it wont leach into the water..

If you have a solution of Copper Sulphate, you want copper Electrodes (One electrode wears down whilst the other one builds up).
Quote by Guitardude19
Its cool dude.

Graphite is one type of electrode. It depends on what you are electrolysing really.

With electrolysis of brine, you want graphite because it wont leach into the water..

If you have a solution of Copper Sulphate, you want copper Electrodes (One electrode wears down whilst the other one builds up).

Thanks man

I will need to remember that for A level Chemistry
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by MetalheadA7X
Thanks man

I will need to remember that for A level Chemistry

A Level chemistry isnt too bad.. If you need help PM me and check the thread in my sig (Im doing chemistry at uni so yea, if you need a bit of help/an explanation PM me).
Sorted thanks man
i will keep that in mind mate

That will be a great help
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

NEWCASTLE UNITED!