I was wondering, if you have 2 speaker cabs of the same size and power but one is a 1x15 speaker and the other is a 4x10 does it matter which one you get?
Man, If Karma Was Here He Would Smack You Bitches Up
Smaller speakers=more emphasis on highs, bigger speakers=more emphasis on lows. Generally, 4x10s sound louder than 1x15s because the 4x10 better emphasizes the frequencies best heard by the human ear.
Quote by Scourge441
Smaller speakers=more emphasis on highs, bigger speakers=more emphasis on lows. Generally, 4x10s sound louder than 1x15s because the 4x10 better emphasizes the frequencies best heard by the human ear.

this is not the reason why the 4x10 is louder.

if I were to make an 6x10, it would be the same volume as a 4x15 (I couldn't think of a realistic matchup between the two speaker sizes... lol)

surface area of speakers = more volume produced.

This is why Phil Jones has a lot of small speakers, and they produce a TON more volume.

Although technically for the formula you would bring it pi and multiply it by the diameter to get the surface area of the circle, the truth is, if you multiply the number of speakers by the size of the speaker, the bigger number will still be the bigger number.

For this reason,
1x15 = 15
4x10 = 40

for the actual numbers, you would multiply the second number by pi.

1x15x3.14 = 47.1 inches of speaker surface area
4x10x3.14 = 125.6

the 4x10 will be louder because it simply produces more volume because there is more speaker there.

it should also be noted as previously said that the size of the speakers effects the tone.
on my old 4x10 it got very non-distinctive lows - the 8(orreally5)x10 I now use gets plenty, but the point is its a matter of preference for the sound. 1x15s highs I was never a fan of - one of the reasons I hated my second combo was that it was 1x15 and couldn't produce a very good slap tone for me as such.

But that should explain all you need to know.
Volume comes from speaker surface area.
Tone comes from speaker size (and bass and amp and everything else.)
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
in terms of music, if you like the phat bass on old school 60's and 70's recordings the 1X15 is best. If you want anything else, the 4x10 is the better buy here.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."