I just ran across this on Ebay and was wondering, I thought all the gibson explorer's had mahogany bodies and necks? I ask the guy if he was positive it was adler and he said yes because it sounds better then mahogany and the control layout was only offered like that with the Adler. Anyone else know?

Click me
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
I have an 84, BTW. The Explorers were made in alder or mohogany - the only way to tell, unfortunately is to rub the finish off or weigh one and then weigh an Explorer from the same era that you know is either Alder or Mohogany.
I contacted Gibson directly about this and they pretty much told me the same thing. The serial number does not reveal anything.
Oh well. Sounds great regardless.

My 84 rocks - Dimarzio PAF's - Black with mirror pickguard.
It looks as good as new, too for being 23 or so years old.

Thats actually the one I wanted originally - white with ebony fretboard. I wouldnt pay more than that, though. You'd eat your hat if you knew what I paid for mine off ebay.

Why do you want an 84?
Last edited by demea at Aug 22, 2007,
Hey...I know that guitar. A guy in a local "Kids" band had it back in the states, 'cept with a black tune-o-matic and stoptail with a cover of some sort behind the bridge, looked plastic, but exactly the right color for the guitar. Maybe for a Floyd back in the 80s?
.......(_____)
.........( V )
../l-------\/
./ l 666 ll
.- ll.....ll

Evil Cow

I lurk, almost never log in, and like Hank Marvin and the Shadows.
if you're considering that guitar, i have a link to a guy selling a white maple/walnut E2. send a pm if you'd be interested.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
forget i said that... he just dropped the price and im trying to work a trade with him at the moment...
every key
every secret

Quote by demea
I have an 84, BTW. The Explorers were made in alder or mohogany - the only way to tell, unfortunately is to rub the finish off or weigh one and then weigh an Explorer from the same era that you know is either Alder or Mohogany.
I contacted Gibson directly about this and they pretty much told me the same thing. The serial number does not reveal anything.
Oh well. Sounds great regardless.

My 84 rocks - Dimarzio PAF's - Black with mirror pickguard.
It looks as good as new, too for being 23 or so years old.
Thats actually the one I wanted originally - white with ebony fretboard. I wouldnt pay more than that, though. You'd eat your hat if you knew what I paid for mine off ebay.

Why do you want an 84?

Thanks man, I guess I should take his word for it. What do you think about the comment he made about the controls? I have noticed that they're 2 styles, all in line and the triangular layout, why did they change it?

I want an 84 because that's the year I was born. That and I like the 84 style without the pickguard, and they made it like that for 4 years right? I would like a white mahogany, stock, untouched with a tune-o-matic bridge. They're was one on eBay about a year ago that was exactly what I wanted, but I needed a little time to think about it because my money was tight, so I went out to eat and came back home to buy it, and someone else already bought it. It was in pretty good shape too and it was only $500 dollars! Was yours even cheaper then that? Do you have any pics of yours?

Quote by staticoverdub
if you're considering that guitar, i have a link to a guy selling a white maple/walnut E2. send a pm if you'd be interested.

What's an E2 anyways?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
What's an E2 anyways?

the best explorers ever made.

but i personally prefer the maple top, walnut layers.
every key
every secret

Quote by staticoverdub
the best explorers ever made.

but i personally prefer the maple top, walnut layers.

oh I got you, not really a fan of gold hardware though
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Dont know whats with this f'n site - between the popups and lockups when I respond with a qoute - its almost unusable.
Once again,
Here's som bad pics without the PAF's. With the covered PAF's and mirror pickguard it looks wicked in the lights. Notice I added another straplock in the typical postition that a button should be. Gives it better balance IMO.

Last edited by demea at Aug 22, 2007,
looks nice man

Your control layout is different then the one I posted, howcome they changed it?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
I guess mine is mahogany, according to the theory of the eBay seller.
Is yours pretty heavy? I've never touched an adler guitar but I know my ESP's mahogany and it's pretty damn heavy
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Bad Seed
Is yours pretty heavy? I've never touched an adler guitar but I know my ESP's mahogany and it's pretty damn heavy

It's not too bad. I can play it all night and not need a rub down, unlike my 87 LP Custom that weighs in at around 10 pounds and feels great when I put it down after playing for a while. I think they're all heavy, though...adler and mahonany due to the mass of the explorer design. Its allot of guitar in the shape of the body.
I would think the alder is heavier, though if you weighed them.