is the gold worth the extra money and is it true that they wear out faster ?
and what are the pros and cons of both ?

thanks !
Gold is a better conductor for electricity... Don't know what that really does to your sound but it looks nicer xD.
Gold connectors are usually just gold plate. Gold is a better conductor but gold plated connectors are a gimmick. You're better off getting normal connectors on a good quality oxygen free copper lead.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Gold conducts electricity very well, and if it's a proper gold plating then it shouldn't wear out, rub off or oxidise; most high-end jacks have at least a gold-plated tip.
Love is not a victory march.
Quote by Axeman99
Gold connectors are usually just gold plate. Gold is a better conductor but gold plated connectors are a gimmick. You're better off getting normal connectors on a good quality oxygen free copper lead.

yeah i know but they're definately not a gimmick
Quote by Axeman99

I thought gold plating exists to stop the connecting surface area from oxidising, given that it's one of the least reactive metals?
Love is not a victory march.
^ It helps with that yes. What I'm saying is that the quality of the actual lead is much more important than whether or not the connectors are gold plated.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
The gold-plated thing is a bunch of crap. Copper and ordinary chrome have a low enough resistance that switching to gold doesn't do much at all.
I dunno. You have to ask yourself: "What would 50 cent do?"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Axeman99
... the quality of the actual lead is much more important than whether or not the connectors are gold plated.

Absolutely correct.

And gold plated contacts that are connected/disconnected frequently will wear the plating off in short order. They aren't really worth it, but good cables/wiring definitely is worth the money. There are limits, however. I cringe when audiophiles go on and on about the 'clearly audible' benefits of some obscure boutique brand speaker or interconnect wire that sells for $2000 per metre.
Quote by Dave_Mc

50 Cent would take over my amp and use it to tell people the latest update on how many times he's been shot, so...
Quote by Dave_Mc

i don't understand what you mean by that.. at all.

so form what i've read now: chrome, worth the money, just as good as gold.
gold plated, not worth the extra, little audible difference.
right ?
Quote by The red Strat.
i don't understand what you mean by that.. at all.

so form what i've read now: chrome, worth the money, just as good as gold.
gold plated, not worth the extra, little audible difference.
right ?

Okay, what do you see lots of in this picture:

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i'm no expert but seems to me, the whole thing would need to be made out of gold. all the guts of your amp, all the metal parts in your cable, even the wires in the guitar, in order to improve anything, a gold plating conducts electricity there, in that one spot, the wires are the same so your still getting the same ole quality as before.. wich is good enough for me, if i can hear it, its ok..
Epi Les Paul/Swineshead Venom pickups
THD: UniValve Head
Lopo line 4x12/Celestion V30's @ 16ohms
Quote by timi_hendrix
Okay, what do you see lots of in this picture:

Non-gold plated metal?
that looks like platinum (EDIT: or possibly white gold) to me, tim. Hard luck, phail!

I just meant that rappers generally kit themselves out in gold or gold-plated stuff. It wasn't that funny...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that looks like platinum (EDIT: or possibly white gold) to me, tim. Hard luck, phail!

I just meant that rappers generally kit themselves out in gold or gold-plated stuff. It wasn't that funny...

ooh that way it is funny now i get it though.
and yeah i know 50 cent wish i was so lucky i didn't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh FFS, I don't want to spend longer than I have to looking at the guy. I was getting the general point across

EDIT: That point being, the the human clay pigeon would go for the non-gold option. It's like "what would jesus do" for the new millenium.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?