Hey, i've tried looking on google and i find results about piezos, but none really tell me what it actually does, so can anybody briefly explain to me what a piezo in the bridge or pickup does for a guitar?
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
a piezo pickup isn't magnetic like normal pickups. piezo pickups sit on the string saddles in the bridge and detect the vibrations from there, which gives an acoustic sound.
I think they use pressure instead of a magnetic field for a more acoustic tone, I wouldn't mind having some myself

Edit: maybe not pressure but yeah what that guy said ^
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
theres actually a guest column about this topic if youd like to search around for it. dewscribes all the diff types in more detail.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
so... anybody know if petrucci uses piezos in all of his guitar to get that sound? or is it just for the acoustic sound and u switch to them instead of the other pickup?

^ and thx i'll try and find it
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
you just switch to them like another pickup, petrucci does have em on his musicman guitars so i assume he wuld use em for the cleaner acoustic sounding parts