im thinking about getting the epi lp standard plus top for 500 dollars, the epi lp custom wine red for 600 dollars or the epi lp special 2 for 300 dollars.

im pretty set on getting the standard though. whats the best deal?
Check craigslist or eBay. DO NOT spend 600 for a new Epiphone LP standard.
Assuming your a decent guitar player and will progress -
A. you'll love the Epi at first
B. you obviously want a Gibson LP
C. when you're ready to sell the Epi and move on to a real Gibson, you wont be able to sell it for more than 300 bucks
D. you'll regret that 600 purchase
E. you'll thank me later

Know what I mean?
I remember I bought an Epi LP standard flame top cherryburst a few years ago with a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, grover tuners, straplocks and an Epi hardshell case for 350.00 off craigslist.
I sold it for 400 on eBay a year later.
The Plain Top will get you closer to the classic "Les Paul" tone because the body is all mahogany instead of mahogany/alder that is in the other standards.

I'd definitely take a look at the Agile Les Pauls or (my personal favorite) Michael Kelly Patriots.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Craigslist is a good place to look i got my studio on their for 700 bucks.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
I really like the les paul ultra only $500, sounds great and it is effing beutiful. Best epiphone i've played.
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Plain Top will get you closer to the classic "Les Paul" tone because the body is all mahogany instead of mahogany/alder that is in the other standards.

I'd definitely take a look at the Agile Les Pauls or (my personal favorite) Michael Kelly Patriots.

Listen to this guy.