I just bought a MIM fender strat with a trem arm.

My question is regarding the bridge. Should it be angled slightly toward the neck? or should the bridge be level with the body?

If

thanks
thats what i was thinking.
so do i need to tighten the bridge up somehow? And how do you do that?
Quote by GuitarBoy-IL
you can set it up floating a bit, you can pull up like that.

Level with the body = floating for the 2-pivot style.

To the original poster: I get the impression yours tilts toward the neck? If so, you need to remove the back cover and tighten the spring claw screws. Careful, as this will add extra tension to your strings. Tighten the spring screws only a turn or so, then retune. Repeat these 2 steps a few times and you will get it set up just right. If you change string gauge, you may have to repeat this process.
There should be an angle towards the neck.

Leo Fender's patent application below shows the trem in it's resting position.
You should be able to get a 1 1/2 note sharp pitch and at least 2 1/2 note flat pitch.

Quote by ColdGin
There should be an angle towards the neck.

Leo Fender's patent application below shows the trem in it's resting position.
You should be able to get a 1 1/2 note sharp pitch and at least 2 1/2 note flat pitch.

The 2 pivot model sits above the surface and level. You still get the ability to rock it in both directions. The vintage (and still widely available) 6-screw model does tilt slightly forward as you said. It must, as it is required to be mounted flush at the leading edge with the body. Unfortunately the original poster didn't say which he has, and I wasn't sure which one came by default with a MIM Strat. I personally only deal with the Am. Std. 2-pivot model. I dislike the vintage one (personal bias).
Quote by Vulcan
The 2 pivot model sits above the surface and level. You still get the ability to rock it in both directions. The vintage (and still widely available) 6-screw model does tilt slightly forward as you said. It must, as it is required to be mounted flush at the leading edge with the body. Unfortunately the original poster didn't say which he has, and I wasn't sure which one came by default with a MIM Strat. I personally only deal with the Am. Std. 2-pivot model. I dislike the vintage one (personal bias).

The bridge has six screws right under each of the strings. so im guessing its the vintage

How far should it be angled forword? Im thinking it needs to come back some because the range of sounds i get when useing the arm is very short.
^ its personal preference, I don't use my trem for pulling up so I have it flat against the body, and I can still get maybe a half note up pull on it. just think if your going to use the trem for pulling up, or only down.
if u are having trouble keeping it in tune, then keep a more level or flush bridge.

i keep my MIA lifted a bit. my MIM does fine flush with the body, but i dont use that trem as often either.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011