i play a lot of RHCP, Sublime, Classic rock and Everything from offspring to coldplay

Im in a band thats not currently gigging and will only play small gigs

should i go with a combo such as a Peavy classic 30

or a half stack of some sort

I love the idea ofa halfstack, hate the price

Any opinions?suggestions

and please no SS recomendations i need loud loud tone

thanks
i personally love stacks, you get enough power where you can do pretty much do anything. you could get a 50-watter
tom morello uses a mic'd combo and its fine so you would have no problems doing that. the presence of a halfstack however is better for the show in my opinion. (people that dont know any better go "wow look at that") but yeah the price can be ridiculous.
This is a quick question that might sound stupid but how can so much volume be put through a combo 30 , when the sme volume can be pushed through 4- 12" speakers in a stack
you can get a used marshall 1960 cab ( a little beat up, but working fine) for 200 dollars. I found an amazing deal on mine it was flawless a 1960 JCM900 Lead series for 250 (good deals are really out there) look on craigslist. and i saw more beat up cabs, ripped tolex, ect for under 200.

once you play through a stack, you will never want to go back to combos, you can even still get your peavy combo and run it through the cab. but i would suggest finding yourself a nice used head. look into old jcm 800's, older 2 channel mesa dual rectifiers (i found one for 800 in great condition). when your on a small budget like me, look into used stuff. a marshall cab will last you forever and you'll always be pleased with it.
a huge stack for a bedroom guitarist always seemed a little ridiculous to me
Last edited by pos69sum at Aug 22, 2007,
Quote by johnrocco151991
This is a quick question that might sound stupid but how can so much volume be put through a combo 30 , when the sme volume can be pushed through 4- 12" speakers in a stack

Because the amp matters, not the speakers. In a 1x12 combo, all thirty watts of that gets pushed out of one speaker. In a 4x12 cab, a quarter of the thirty watts is getting pushed out of each speaker. You still have thirty watts coming out of the head, so you'll get thirty watts out of the speakers in any configuration.