Yes, I’m fully aware that 40% of zero is still zero, it was the best title I could think up. I'm still tired, jetlagged from that 25 minute flight ( ) and wanted to get this down before I forgot what I tried.

Anyway, as you may or may not know, I was in Edinburgh for the past few days. That means spam, and lots of it. I didn’t have a lot of time, though, so I freely admit that a lot of this testing was somewhat rushed. But when it’s stuff you can’t get to try at home, I work on the basis that 5 or 10 minutes is better than nothing.

First stop: Sound Control. This is basically (I assume) the British/Scottish (it started in Scotland, but has stores throughout mainland Britain now) version of Guitar Center. Anyway, I had heard that they have a special deal with Epiphone to produce cheaper versions of their valve amps, called Grainger. If anyone can think of a more rock and roll name, I’d like to hear it. I don’t think it’s possible. o_O They had the valve 15 (I guess that’s the epi valve standard), the blues twin (the blues custom, as you can see no expense had been spared in coming up with new names) and the hammerhead (So-Cal head, I think).

I didn’t bother trying the 15 watter, too lazy, and there was other stuff I wanted to try.

First of all I tried the blues twin with a Yamaha Pacifica 812- JB at the bridge, And two SL1 single coils at neck and middle. It’s a super-strat, basically. I think I’ve written about it before in a previous spam thread, which is why I won’t bore you with it here. Nice guitar, but then I’m quite partial to Yamahas.

Anyway, you’d know the Blues twin was related to the valve junior. It has that warmth to the tone, with almost a hollow quality to the cleans at lower volumes. I suspect I’m being hard on it because I already have a valve junior, but even at £300, I think there are better options available- Laney VC30 and Orange Tiny Terror, to name but two. Basically, it reminded me of a valve junior with more wattage and headroom, and more gain (but still pretty vintage sounding). Reverb was crap. If you didn’t already have a valve junior, it’d be alright, but yeah, I wasn’t really impressed, just didn’t really like it. Ok, that’s a bit harsh, it just didn’t really blow be away- just kind of like a middle of the road, vintage-ish budget tube combo. It seemed to have quite a lot of background noise, too.

Then I moved on to the Hammerhead, which was matched to the epi 4x12 with eminence lady luck speakers (same speakers as in the blues twin). I liked this one better. Still had quite a lot of background noise, but at £250 for an all-valve head, I guess you can’t really complain too much. The cleans had more sparkle (still wouldn’t be confused with a Fender Twin, obviously) and more “air” to the tone, and the overdrive wasn’t just so warm and muffled. I know it’s generally a bad idea to buy a cheap halfstack, but if you already had a decent cab (I.e. didn’t have to buy one), £250 for an all-valve amp head isn’t too bad a deal. Didn’t really do modern metal (maybe 80’s metal), but for anything up to hard rock, wasn’t bad. This was a more attractive proposition than the blues twin, in my opinion at least.

Then I moved on to the new vox higher gain tube combos- the ac50somethingorother. Whatever, you know the one I mean. Same guitar.

Channel 1 sounded quite voxy, if not quite as good as a true ac30. Was capable of nice cleans, and nice classic rock crunch. Nice, basically.

Channel 2. I’d love to say that this had an awesome higher gain channel. How could I put this? Compared to this, a Krankenstein has a smooth, refined and creamy overdrive channel. It was that bad. It sounded like a £20 cheapo fuzz box was on at all times. It may have been faulty, had a bad valve, or whatever, but jeez, that’s the worst -sounding overdrive channel I’ve ever had the mispleasure to plug into, without qualification. Even the shop guy who was helping me had to admit it sounded like ass. And for £850? o_O What. Were. They. Thinking?

Judging by this one (which, as I admit, may have been faulty or something), just buy an ac30 instead.

Anyway, then I decided I’d try a Peavey xxx and 6505 they also had in the shop. I switched to a Kramer Jersey Star they had in stock too- £575, I think? Something like that, anyway.

Basically, as you probably already know, the 6505 has a br00tal metal distortion, and pretty nice rock crunch. Useless cleans and blues tones, though.

While the xxx has nicer cleans (which I guess could be used for blues too), but much like my criticism of the JSX (which is incidentally based on it), the crunch channel starts with way too much gain, and the gain only increases. It has a sharper sounding distortion, with less mids. Although the xxx has nicer cleans, I’d hazard a guess that the 6505 is more versatile, at least for rock and metal.

Don’t get me wrong, the xxx was alright, just I think the 6505 was better. The xxx could sound a little sterile, too.

I’ll describe what I thought of the Kramer later (you’ll see why).

Anyway, I left at this point, thanking them very much for letting me try all this nice stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 22, 2007,
Next shop: Guitar Guitar. Awesome shop, basically.

First of all, I tried a Caparison ( http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng/e-07product/e07horus.html the bottom one in yellow, I think- they had a bunch but I didn’t have enough time to try them all). 27 frets ftw! Anyway, seemed pretty nice, if expensive over here (£1650 I think). At Japanese prices (around half that, I think) it’d be pretty attractive. I didn’t think the upper fret access was amazing, even with the contoured heel. The Schaller Floyd was pretty nice, marginally stiffer than an OFR, but nothing major- which makes me wonder if the “Schaller” on the washburn x40pro is indeed a “real” Schaller, or perhaps just a cheaper one which is still made in Germany?

I tried this through a Budda 30 watt combo. Nice amp, not really my thing though. Kind of warm, vintage tonality, but had the ability to get quite modern too (not really br00tal modern metal, but certainly to classic metal). So yeah, very nice, but not for me. Worth a try if you want a versatile tube combo, though. Good tone, too.

Next I tried a couple of Bogners. A Shiva and Ecstasy (101B, I think?). These were tried with a Suhr HSS super strat of some description, with a fancy maple top. These (and all following) heads were tried with a Bogner 2x12 cab.

The Shiva was nice, great hot-rodded marshall tones, though not all that much else. Probably not a major problem, when you consider how many styles of music can be covered with a hot-rodded marshall, but yeah, it’s probably only worth considering if you know you want that type of tone. Cleans were alright, but not amazing. Anyway, really nice, but then again I do veer towards 80’s stuff. Quite bright-sounding too.

The Ecstasy, by contrast, was much more versatile. A lot of knobs. Nicer, more fendery cleans, a nice warm, vintage sounding plexi mode, and the ability to get (from what I can remember) pretty high gain. Again, very nice- but like most bogners over here, pretty expensive (£1399 for the shiva, and I guess close to £2000 for the ecstasy). Shame they didn’t have an uberschall.

The Suhr was nice, but didn’t blow me away. Nice, but not £2000-nice. Halve that, and we can talk…

There were also a couple of Nik Huber guitars in the sound-proof booth, so I tried one of them (it was awkward to switch guitars as there weren’t enough stands, and they’re expensive, I didn’t want to scratch one! Also I was running low on time). Extremely nice, but expensive (close to £3000), and not really for my style (I think I prefer super-strats). But yeah, you could tell it was extremely high quality, excellent woods, etc. etc.

Next I tried a VHT Deliverance with a Tyler Super Strat. I think it was a classic and had a cool greeny-watery finish (no idea of the name, and the Tyler website is useless).

The Deliverance was pretty sweet. Single channel, but had a more/less gain switch (which dropped you down from modern overdrive to classic, and from there you could achieve cleans with the guitar volume knob), and an overdrive voicing knob. Anyway, this was a really nice amp, a lot more versatile than it looked. Could easily get modern tones, and lighter tones too. Great amp. I think I tried the 60 watt version.
The Tyler was just extremely sweet. Quite a thick neck, but it played like butter and sounded amazing. It had so many knobs I didn’t know what to do, I just set it to what sounded like the bridge humbucker. Way too dear ( £2700, or over $5000), but absolutely awesome. Only guitar that really blew me away.

Next I figured I’d try an Engl SE they had (6l6 version). There was something wrong with the clean and crunch channels, there was an annoying buzz when the bright switches were on (possible a valve problem), but the overdrive channels were, as expected, sweet. This is an extremely versatile amp- there’s almost nothing it won’t do well. Obviously something aimed at a specific tone will doubtless do it slightly better (e.g. the budda had nicer vintage british tones, the shiva more authentic hot-rodded marshall tones), but considering the range of tones, the SE is just downright badass. Shame about the price, though (over £2000 for the head). Absolutely loads of gain. On channel 3, in low gain mode, and in the classic mode, it had as much gain as most of these other amps. Hit the high-gain switch and there’s more gain than you’d believe was possible.

Anyway, they had some other nice amps I’d have liked to try (Mesa Express, Fender Champion 600, a 65 (that’s the company name) combo which was unfortunately faulty, some other VHT’s etc.), but I was out of time. Still, I figured if I’d tried any more I’d have forgotten what they were like, so no real problem. Anyway, I left, again thanking them profusely for allowing me the opportunity to try stuff you’d never even see in Ireland.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I went back to Sound control (this wasn’t all on the one day, by the way!)- I’d remembered I’d forgotten to try the Orange Tiny Terror which they had in stock, and I fancied getting to try that Kramer again.

Tiny Terror was nice, basically. I think I tried it through a marshall cab. Nice tones up to about classic to hard rock- it has more gain than that, but things start to sound a bit harsh when you really push the gain. Nice amp for £300, but then again if you have to buy a cab as well it’s more like £500. Much like the Grainger Hammerhead, it’s probably more worth considering if you already have a cab- buy one too and there are possibly better options...

The Kramer Jersey Star was very, very nice. It said “assembled in the USA” on it, which kind of worried me as that suggests the body etc. was put together elsewhere and then the thing was put together in the US, but the hardware etc. was all first rate (bar a dodgy input jack, but they claimed they’d had it a while, so I’ll assume that was the cause; even if not, it’s fixable). OFR, nice pickups, coil split, nice neck etc. too hair-metal looking, even for me, with stars and gold hardware everywhere, but it was a nice guitar. Very nice maple neck too. Non-recessed floyd, but it was still floating, so you could get about half a tone of up-pull, at a rough guess.

I went over to a Mesa F50 combo now, as I wanted something with a bit more gain. I also got an Ibanez rg1570 prestige down too to compare to the Kramer.

The mesa has nice cleans, but I’m not too fussed on the drive- even with the contour disengaged, it’s quite harsh and modern-sounding. And as you’d expect, it costs about 100% too much here in the UK. £1100? Not a chance.

Unfortunately, the Ibanez didn’t have the trem arm, so I couldn’t compare the edge pro to the OFR. Also, it seemed to have old strings and the fretboard was pretty dry and could have used some oil. I think I preferred the kramer (much thicker neck, yet I still preferred it), but that probably wasn’t a fair test. The Ibanez also seemed to have a brighter (unplugged) tone, which is strange considering it’s basswood and has a rosewood fretboard, while the kramer had a maple body and neck. Ah well, just goes to show that you should listen to your ears, not the specs.

Next I tried a Musicman Sub guitar. Seemed pretty nice, though I think the necks on the more expensive Music Men/Mans are nicer. It was painted on this one too. This had more natural sustain than either the Kramer or Ibanez, and more zing/treble, but I put that down to the fixed bridge. Not really a fair comparison, again I think I slightly preferred the kramer, but then I like floyds etc. Anyway, I badly want one of those higher kramers- not the richie sambora one I tried, it’s too hair metal even for me, but maybe the EVH one. Don’t know.

Oh yeah, I wasn’t able to crank the stuff in Sound Control at all, basically, as they just set you up in the middle of the shop. And the stuff at Guitar Guitar was loud, but not cranked (I like my ears)…

Anyway, that’s about it. I also saw the Bourne Ultimatum (badass, but some slightly dodgy plot holes… last time I bought a pay as you go mobile phone it didn’t come with the battery already charged o_O But definitely 4 stars out of 5, it was great! ) and Transformers (a lot better than I’d thought it would be, was actually pretty good, but I’d have preferred a more true-to-the-original take, and also more 80’s metal and less Linkin Park, probably 3 out of 5).

Anyway, I was going to write more about the films, but I’m tired writing (and you’re probably tired reading). If you have any questions/comments or whatever, I’d be pleased to answer/hear them.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Previous one deleted; just because Dave = Sexy.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 22, 2007,
^ haha, cheers, FUA!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You played some pretty sexy guitars at Guitar Guitar; it's a shame they cost a freakin' assload!

Did you find anything that you're definitely GASing for now?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
You played some pretty sexy guitars at Guitar Guitar; it's a shame they cost a freakin' assload!

Did you find anything that you're definitely GASing for now?

the kramer is probably the closest- i'd most likely go for a different model, though. Engl SE was really sweet, but I doubt it's worth upgrading to from my savage se, as i like it too- and two engls is probably overkill, i'd rather have something else with more of a different flavour, something more hot-rod marshall.

Major problem is, most of the stuff I tried was really nice, but too dear for what it was... that's the major problem with a lot of the US-made stuff here. That tyler was sublime, but for £2700 it better be!

And cheers, false god!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the reviews, Dave! It's great to read this stuff from someone whose opinion you can trust, rather than Harmony Central or whatever. You've inspired me to take a notepad & tape recorder with me to NAMM in January. Major potential spam.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by cokeisbetter
Yay for spam! Excellently done. I think I'm gonna go see Bourne soon.

I've seen it 3 times already.

It's sexy.

Quote by utsapp89
^ Dunno, really. It's a toss-up between that and Transformers again.

Yes, it was that good.

EDIT: It's sexy, too. Heyo!
phew, that was a workout. reading that i mean.

good stuff dave
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ Dunno, really. It's a toss-up between that and Transformers again.

Yes, it was that good.

EDIT: It's sexy, too. Heyo!

I saw Transformers; it was pretty good. Not as badass, though.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by Archeo
Haha! Nice Dave!

Hmm... now I wonder, should I save up for an ENGL Thunder than a Marshall? XD

Yes.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by FacingUsAll
I saw Transformers; it was pretty good. Not as badass, though.

Dunno, maybe my view of the movie is distorted by the fact that I never actually watched Transformers as a kid. I can't remember why, though. I guess I was all watching Doug and Recess when I was that little.
Yeah, I used to watch it I wanted them to flesh out the individual autobots and decepticons more.

That being said; I want to go play some new gear now.

Quote by utsapp89
stuff you’d never even see in Ireland.

So true
Great spam love your spam threads
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
That was cool, Ive been in both those shops in the past few weeks as well, Guitar Guitar is awesome, but not as good as the Glasgow branch. Nothing to do with gear at all, but the festivals on!!! See any shows?
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
cool reviews Dave. I've had XTC g.a.s. for at least a year now, but I would have to sell some organs to touch it. Too bad there wasn't a Framus or Mark IV for you to try, I know you're curious, hehe. Good stuff, thanks man
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Cheers for all the replies, guys- i'll try to get to them in order...

cokeisbetter/FUA: transformers is sexier (megan fox for the freakin' win!), bourne is more badass. I own transformers the movie (the 1986 one) on video, I must actually watch it again. But the original is better. better soundtrack too, it's all 80's metal.

riffhog: haha, yeah, i'd kill to go to namm. You'd definitely need to take some kind of notes or something, even with the few things I tried they were starting to all run together.
Oh, and I appreciate that you think you can trust my opinion- i wish I had your confidence in myself, I never know if I'm trying the thing properly or not!

unsigned records:

archeo: not too sure- i haven't been able to try the thunder. based on the other engls I've tried, i'd say yes, but the thunder is the cheapest, and hence potentially the worst. So i'd be cautious, basically.

plankermaxx: sucks about ireland too. we probably aren't too bad considering the size, but it's annoying that we're an island and isolated, so it's awkward (and expensive) to get to anywhere better.

jonny02: yeah, i'd have liked to get to the glasgow branch, i didn't have time this time though as I only had a few days. didn't have time to see any shows either, i actually forgot to check if there was anything good on! i did get to the cinema a couple of times though...

erock: cheers, man. I think there's some kind of conspiracy against me by framus. A shop in belfast stocks their warwick basses, but not the guitars or amps, and there are no framus dealers anywhere near either edinburgh or london (the two areas of great britain I'd most likely be in)...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The RI Kramers are meh. Good, but not as good as the originals.

The Ritchie Sambora, the protoplast to the Jersey Star will set you back almost a 1000 bucks, though.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
My friend couldn't decide between a fireball and an SE, now I know which one to recommend. And you'd like everything more with more 80s metal.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
when you tried the XXX, what speaker dampening setting were you using? imo, loose is the only one worth a ****. tight and loose are horrible.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
That's interesting about the Epiphone rebranded amps because in Australia Billy Hyde sells them under the Legacy brand name. I was actually wondering whether they were any good because an all tube at that price seemed like a good deal.
Quote by SKECHY
That's interesting about the Epiphone rebranded amps because in Australia Billy Hyde sells them under the Legacy brand name. I was actually wondering whether they were any good because an all tube at that price seemed like a good deal.
Those Legacies are made in the same factory as the VJ and are in fact exactly the same amp - same story with the Graingers and Harley Bentons.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by binjajer
The RI Kramers are meh. Good, but not as good as the originals.

The Ritchie Sambora, the protoplast to the Jersey Star will set you back almost a 1000 bucks, though.

yeah, i mean i've never even seen a second hand 80's one. The RI seemed to be a nice guitar, and for the price (new) seemed pretty reasonably priced, too. Shame about customs charges to europe though, from the musicyo store. and Sound control only seems to have the jersey star.

Quote by tubab0y
My friend couldn't decide between a fireball and an SE, now I know which one to recommend. And you'd like everything more with more 80s metal.

assuming he has the funds for both, that's not even a decision. SE will do everything the fireball will do (slightly more open and brighter tone, though), while the same can't be said for the fireball. I wasn't all that fussed on the fireball, to be honest, but then again i don't play too much modern death metal.

Agreed about the 80's metal thing.

Quote by TheShred201
How can your friend be unable to decide between a fireball and an SE? If you can spend the money for an SE, I would have more trouble between deciding between an SE, a VH4, or a Herbert, But I'd probably get the SE.

word. if you have the cash for the SE, you should be looking at all the super-amps- diezel, bogner, etc., stuff like that.

Quote by gpderek09
when you tried the XXX, what speaker dampening setting were you using? imo, loose is the only one worth a ****. tight and loose are horrible.

no idea, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oooh that's ok Dave, I'm expecting to replace my amp currently *A Carlsbro GLX* with something anyways. XD

I was thinking of a Line 6 Flextone III or a tube amp of some sort. Might be a Peavey XXX, ENGL Thunder, Laney GH50L or some others anyways... XD
Nice reviews, Dave. When i decide to give up blues and start playing higher gain stuff, i'll come back to your reviews as a basis of what gear to get.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Archeo
Oooh that's ok Dave, I'm expecting to replace my amp currently *A Carlsbro GLX* with something anyways. XD

I was thinking of a Line 6 Flextone III or a tube amp of some sort. Might be a Peavey XXX, ENGL Thunder, Laney GH50L or some others anyways... XD

Get an ENGL Screamer or GH50L. Totally awesome amps...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^^ cheers, TN!

^^ what type of music do you play, archeo?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Nice reviews, Dave. When i decide to give up blues and start playing higher gain stuff, i'll come back to your reviews as a basis of what gear to get.

Why the hell would you want to do that?
heh i play blues too. just 80's metal is so awesome i can't resist...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mr_hankey
Why the hell would you want to do that?

Internet sarcasm is fun!
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...