I'm looking to further destroy my credit cards and get a new guitar. I'm looking for something for metal. From what i hear, ESP are more bang for the buck. I'm looking at the ESP MII standard series, its got an original floyd, and no tone knob (which is mind boggling) and i've been trying out jackson's in the same price range ($800-1200) I couldn't find the ESP to test out however i did find the ESP LTD deluxe series m1000 which is very similar and it was amazing. Is the ESP much better for 300 dollars more? and can anyone talk me into a jackson worth trying? Also, as of now I'm set on getting a guitar with EMG's, I have an american fat strat, so i'm not looking for something with a good clean tone, I hate the way active pickups sound on clean, My friend's got an esp with duncan's, which sounds great on clean and driven.

SO pretty much ESP or JACKSON (or anything else that you think may be better)

and

EMG or DUNCAN

thanks!
As far as pickups go, it really depends on what your preferences and what amp you have.

Do you want a double locking trem?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ word.

how much money are you talking, around $800-$1200, right? (nothing gets past my awesome powers of deduction)

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey, double VS. thread!

I'd say go with the LTD, at that range (400 and up) quality control isn't a problem any more, it's not worth 300 dollars for the same guitar manufactured somewhere else.
i use a mesa dual rect (older 2 channel version) through marshall jcm 900 lead series 1960 cab
Try a Jackson SL2H at Sam Ash. They're Japanese, around $1000, same specs as the ESP MII, but they have a tone knob and arched flame maple top. I picked one, for what that's worth.
Look on ebay for some older school Jacksons. Usually you can find a great deal on an amazing guitar. Otherwise, the newer esp EC series looks sexy, and they are made very well. As far as the pickups, that is all based on opinion. I am a passive guy when it comes to pickups. (Look for a guitar with an OFR, I know Schecter makes some around your price range.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by TylerCasket
i use a mesa dual rect (older 2 channel version) through marshall jcm 900 lead series 1960 cab

sweet!

to be honest, I'm not sure which i'd advise- i'm no major fan of emg's, but they sound pretty good through mesas generally.

ditto a jb, that treble would doubtless work well with a recto.

I dunno, it's up to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Funnily enough, I own an ESP/LTD with EMGs and a Jackson with Duncans (JB/59).

ESP MH-400
Jackson DK2M

The ESP feels more like new-school metal... it's smoother, has more output, and really wants to go when you play it. It just feels more like smooth, produced "metal".

The Jackson feels more woody, more classical. It feels like it wants to put out some tone and some feel with the metal.

If you're going for all out metal, super high output, etc., go with the ESP with EMGs.

If you want to lay back a bit and have some tone or variatiom, go with the Jackson.
Emg=Metal & active

Duncan=Versatile & Passive

Jackson=For the whammy bar metalheads

ESp= For the lesser whammy bar killer metalhead
I don't even shred
I suggest you looking at the Schecter c-1 hellraiser FR, its at a great price at 800$ and it has an OFR and 81,85 emg set.
Quote by Danno13
Try a Jackson SL2H at Sam Ash. They're Japanese, around $1000, same specs as the ESP MII, but they have a tone knob and arched flame maple top. I picked one, for what that's worth.

you can get a SL2H for a grand?

definately at least try to play one of those TS, they are great
I've played the LTD M-1000, and it is one awesome guitar. I really don't think you'd be dissapointed by it. As for a Jackson to match, the SL-3 now as an OFR and Seymour Duncan pups, as well as neck thru. I myself would be deciding between these 2 for my next guitar. They both fee, play and sound great, but the Jackson is a bit more.

Sam Ash has a carved top Sl-3 with EMGs for 1049, so that might be worth looking at. Not matter what you should be satisfied.
Quote by lylewithans182
I've played the LTD M-1000, and it is one awesome guitar. I really don't think you'd be dissapointed by it. As for a Jackson to match, the SL-3 now as an OFR and Seymour Duncan pups, as well as neck thru. I myself would be deciding between these 2 for my next guitar. They both fee, play and sound great, but the Jackson is a bit more.

Sam Ash has a carved top Sl-3 with EMGs for 1049, so that might be worth looking at. Not matter what you should be satisfied.

yeah i agree with this, go out and try these two (and anything else in that price range you see really) and just buy the one you like the feel of the most, i doubt there would be any guitar you could buy for around a grand that would turn out to be a dud
Quote by Diamond Dave
you can get a SL2H for a grand?

definately at least try to play one of those TS, they are great

that's a japanese one, though, similar quality to the sl3 (I assume)- the USA-made sl2H would be more money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a japanese one, though, similar quality to the sl3 (I assume)- the USA-made sl2H would be more money.

ahh... so thats what he meant by theyre japanese... i didnt even realize that was in his post.

haha, oh well i still say its worth checking out
^ oh yeah, certainly. Just sam ash aren't exactly bending over backwards to make it clear, you know?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Danno13

SL2H is MIA. Perhaps you're thinking of the SL3.

EDIT: Nvm I see this has been discussed. Sorry for sounding like a douche.
^ true generally, but sam ash has a special deal with jackson for a japanese sl2h too. Also, danno owns that guitar, and it says MIJ on it. EDIT: no problem, lol, it caught me out before too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
<< Lives in Aus. Pays $5,000 for any USA Jackson. Wants to live in an Industrialized Country.
^ haha, it's the same here. well, maybe more like the equivalent of $3500 US, but you know what i mean.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea. I do however have the good fortune of visiting Canada frequently. I arrive without a guitar and depart with one. Past 3 trips anyway.

I was serious about the RR24 though. Time to start planning a vacation.