Page 1 of 2
So I've been playing for a good five years or so, and I have begun to realize that my 65 watt SS amp just isn't cutting it anymore. In the past few weeks I've been looking into getting a tube amp, and with my birthday coming up in less then two weeks, I'll probably end up buying one.

I've played through a few Fenders (Blues Jr., Hot Rod Deluxe, and I think a Hot Rod DeVille if I remember) and liked them, but then tried out a Peavey Classic 50 and really liked that one. I've also heard some good things about the Palomino's, but haven't tried them out yet.

So I'd like to look into the Classic 50, but those things go for $800 new, and I don't really want to spend that much. I've seen them used for around $400-500, and tried to contact the seller but couldn't get through, and right now, I'm not really finding anything except for one on ebay for $440 + shipping. I did, however, manage to find a Classic 100 for $500 shipped, which sounds very tempting, but I don't think I'll ever need all that power.

Soooo, anyone have any suggestions/comments/etc. on what I could do with those options or any other amps I could try? Help is much appreciated.

EDIT: oh yeah, I play mainly classic rock stuff (Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc.) as well as a ton of Black Crowes.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Having headroom is valuable even if you don't use all the wattage. If they appear similar quality I don't see any reason not to go with the 100.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
You could try getting a Peavey Classic 30 and then get an extension cab when you have more cashola

You might as well get the Classic 100, though. You can always get an attenuator if you want to get more saturation at lower volumes.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 22, 2007,
I say get the Peavey 100.

At the volume of a gig it would be on the verge of break-up which would give you a great tone for those bands mention!

And then you could get an Od pedal to help you for solos!
Maaatttttt, did your dad agree to the 100? you might as well go for it, but the whole halfstack idea doesnt really appeal to me.

Be on AIM at like 5, i need to talk to you.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^^he's kinda on the fence about it, for the same reason I am.

EDIT: I've been waiting for you to get on to discuss this

EDIT 2:
Quote by False_God

And then you could get an Od pedal to help you for solos!
I've got a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde OD/Distortion
Quote by Thefallofman
So your budget is around $500? I couldnt really make it clear out of that.

Hot Rods are very nice, OD isn't as good as the clean but it really isnt as bad as everyone says it is, Its nice enough to use, as long as you dont whack it up all the way.
^^basically, yes I'll have to try out a Hot Rod again, it's been a little while since I have.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yeah im not sure how much AC30's go for in the USA.

EDIT: Whoah they go for like $999 so thats out the way.

Hot Rods are very nice, I'd personally reccomend a DeVille 2x12 which is what I have alongside an AC30, But the Deluxes are very compact too, and they pack a punch.

You said you have a Jekyll and Hyde? They go VERY well with the deluxes, its almost like its what the Deluxe's OD should sound like.
Quote by BrainDamage

EDIT 2: I've got a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde OD/Distortion

Well there you go!
^^in a band, haven't played any shows or anything since last year. Things'll probably pick up once school starts.

Quote by Aldenté

You said you have a Jekyll and Hyde? They go VERY well with the deluxes, its almost like its what the Deluxe's OD should sound like.
I'll keep that in mind. I like the J&H a lot, and I'm assuming it'll sound a lot better with a tube amp. However, I did like the sound of the Peavey's OD to begin with, so the J&H plus that amp's OD would give me some good options. Again, I'll have to try out the Deluxe one more time and see how I like the OD.
Quote by Thefallofman
While you are trying out amps maybe check out the Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 combo. Great for classic rock and blues. $449 USD list.
Quote by uldhppi
While you are trying out amps maybe check out the Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112 combo. Great for classic rock and blues. $449 USD list.

A classic 30 would piss all over the VK, judging by my experience with both of them.

30 watt valve is more than enough to gig with, if you still feel you need more just look for a used classic 50. The 100 will be too powerful, I think, you wouldn't be able to overdrive it that easily.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Try one anyway. If it gets pissed on you are only out a few minutes of your time.
Quote by uldhppi
Try one anyway. If it gets pissed on you are only out a few minutes of your time.

Indeed.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I play through a Hot Rod DeVille and I absolutely love it's cleans, but many find the overdrive channel lacking. Since you'll be playing some Zeppelin, I know overdrive is a key element, so either use an OD pedal if you have one or try the Peavey. Honestly, I'm a huge Peavey Amp fan and I think the Classic 50 would be perfect for you, but if you can only get the 100, who cares? An extra 50 won't hurt.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
yea 100w is overkill considering you will probably mic your amps when you play shows. but id say go for it; worst comes to worst get an attenuator to dial down the volume without losing saturation(as mentioned before) or resell it and you could probably resell it for more. Or just blow down the gig with the sheer power
BD check out the Peavey Classic 30's, I played it in a store and it's great for Zeppelin and classic rock in general.
It's got "classic" in it's name.
But yeah it is pretty good for those styles atleast that's what I though after trying the amp.

Also i've seen it used for $300.

Edit: I forgot to mention if you considering the Hot Rod Deluxe, try checking out the Blues Deluxe as well. I liked it had a natural clean tone and the OD was alright.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Aug 27, 2007,
I'd aim for a Fender of some form. I love Fender amps, they produce some heavenly tones. Add a Marshall Blues Box to it, and you can have the exact same tone as a Marshall, according to my dad. So two tones outta one amp.

Fenders produce such a great clean tone, though, and I personally like having a great clean on a lot of songs, so I love that about them.

But there are also songs where you want good distortion, and the only amp I've ever played through that I liked the distortion on was my Marshall, which is obviously way outta the price range, so I dunno what to tell you. If you can find one of those used in a pawn shop or something, then it may be good... My dad got his for around $400 used, and it's great.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
You know, The 100W and the 50W, you probably won't even notice the volume difference.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
i'd take a classic 30 over a 100 actually, it'll be way easier to get a nice saturated tone and you can always mic it up for cleans if it breaks up otherwise.
and if you're considering a hot rod, then look a the blues deluxe/deville instead. cleans are fairly similar but the OD of the blues's are wayyy better. trust me i A/B'd them
^^I just got back from Musicians Workshop a little while ago, and upon playing it again, I didn't really like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The clean was nice, but I didn't like the OD. I don't think I've even seen a Blues Deluxe in the stores around here. Or maybe I just haven't looked

So it seems as if I'm now leaning towards the Peavey. But which one?
Quote by Thefallofman
If you like Peavey Slats recommended I try the Peavey Delta Blues he compared it to an AC30. I haven't had the chance to try one out. But if you see one i'd check out that amp.

And the Blues Deluxe looks very similar to the Hot Rod but it's tweed....that's how I tell the difference lol.

As for the classics sorry to say I can't help much, the series is good though so either way you'd get a nice amp...just a matter of wattage I suppose.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by BrainDamage
^^I just got back from Musicians Workshop a little while ago, and upon playing it again, I didn't really like the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The clean was nice, but I didn't like the OD.

excellent call, the od on the hot rod deluxe sounds awful, if you ask me.

i've only tried the classic 30, so i can't really compare how the different peaveys line up. It should do the tones you want fine. One word of warning about the classic 30, though, it sounds like ass when you turn it way up. speaker rattles and farts about, valves sound like they're going to explode etc.

So yeah, you might want to factor in a tube and speaker swap somewhere along the line.

Have you tried those crate palominos, by the way? never tried them myself, but slats swears by them (and the delta blues, you probably want to try that too)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah, traynors. take a look at some of the ycv's. around $600-$700, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a classic 30 and its an amazing amp cleans really shine, gain is also very good - but add a good overdrive and thing shines as for power, 30 watts is more than enough for me, its really loud. i doubt you will ever need more pover.
but Dave_Mc hit on spot with the rattling comment - it gets quite noisy... thats why i think on swapping speaker and tubes... but it shouldnt discourage you, because it is really amazing amp
^

yep, certainly in the US, it's a good value amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Have you tried those crate palominos, by the way? never tried them myself, but slats swears by them (and the delta blues, you probably want to try that too)...
Very briefly. Not enough to decide one way or the other. Next time I go into a store I'll play a little more through one of them.
Quote by Thefallofman
threadstarter, you totally stole my sig. or something.

on the peavey classic 30s; i think they are quite nice. better than the marshall and traynors in the same price range definitely, as thats what a friend chose one over after we did extensive a/b/cing of them. it can roar smoothly and do nice stuff.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Dude get a tiny terror!!! I just grabbed one on ebay for $490! They are beastly little terrorists. Great for a classic rock / british GROWL. Don't let 15 watts fool you they get LOUD. I drown my drummer in a wave of tone. And you could always mic it for a big show. But you won't be dissapointed. If you decide against orange, you should get a palomino. Great for classic rock cleans, but better for classic rock crunch. Just my opinion. I'm a palo fan as well. I don't like the HRD at all, but the classic 30's are okay. there is NO reason for you to get a 100 watt tube amp. that is ridiculous unless you play bass or something.

So basically I suggest either a Tiny Terror or a Palomino. Both are fantastic.
And if you go with the Tiny Terror and don't want to spend 350 on an orange cab, avatarspeakers.com is a great website
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Last edited by PieceOfMind666 at Aug 29, 2007,
Quote by CORT noob
You know, The 100W and the 50W, you probably won't even notice the volume difference.
I agree with this man. The difference between 100W and 50W is mostly headroom, actual volume difference is only a couple of decibels. I don't really agree with a lot of people here that a 100W tube amp is some kind of ungodly loudness, any tube amp over 30W is sufficient to kill your ears, especially when you factor in a 4x12 cab.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Quote by BrainDamage
Very briefly. Not enough to decide one way or the other. Next time I go into a store I'll play a little more through one of them.

EDIT: ^ yeah, anything over about 30 is loud as hell. headroom difference would be noticeable, probably, but other than that... it's not like you can't crank a 100 watter at home, but can crank a 30 watter...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you looked at the Crate Palomino series? I'm not a fan of Peavey and I agree with the observations that the distortion channel on the HRD is awful. I tried out a Palomino at GC a few months ago and I found myself pleasantly surprised. They competitively priced with the more inexpensive Fender and Peavey tube amps, as well.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well it turns out that I found a used Classic 50 for $300, so I've decided to go with that. I'll post again once I pick up the amp. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Quote by Thefallofman
wowie, i haven't played one, but that's quite the steal for the 50watt version.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
i tried a palomino V8, a classic 30, and a delta blues. and if the v8 is anything like its bigger brothers, then im all for the classic 30 if it sounds like the 50 or 100
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by UnsignedRecords
wowie, i haven't played one, but that's quite the steal for the 50watt version.

i agree. i know they go for less in the US, but a classic 30 goes for the equivalent of about $800 here. Classic 50 probably $1000. The classic 30 goes for about $600 new in the US, i believe? Not too sure about the 50.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^Yeah, a Classic 30 goes for $600 US, a 2x12 Classic 50 is $850, and the 4x10 Classic 50 (which is what I'm getting) is $900.
Quote by Thefallofman
sweet sounds like a good deal then. Nice work!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2