Im pretty sure this belongs under musician talk, as it doesnt fit under anything else, and is a talk between musicians...

Anywho, im gonna start teaching more advanced keyboard to my students, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out by giving me names of some good pieces I could do for:

Beginner - Simple, easy melodies that can be done with one hand that take a few hours for a beginner to learn

Easy - Extremely easy two hand songs, such as Silent Night

Intermediate - Songs that are a little harder, and more complex

Hard - Require a bit of chops, and an intermediate sight reading ability

Advanced - Requires alot of chops and time.

Also, I was wondering if perhaps it was possible to transcribe Mozart's Dies Irae for two hand piano? Thatd be fantastic, I'd absolutely love to play that.
This sounds fun.

Here goes:

Beginner - One single-hand melody that might interest beginners in learning piano is Stairway To Heaven. And there are a couple parts that involve using a second hand, so it'll definitely help them get used to piano playing. Make sure you have them reading a transcription in actual sheet music, so they get used to it.

Easy - Jingle Bells, Fur Elise, Tchaikovsky's Barcarolle, Eine Klein Nachtmusik, Moonlight Sonata (as a bridge between easy and intermediate levels of playing)

Intermediate - Movement III (Marche funèbre) of Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 (probably the easiest of the intermediate ones), Yann Tierson's Comptine d'un autre été, a piano transcription of John William's Jurassic Park theme, Muse's Space Dementia, the cadenza to Muse's Butterflies and Hurricanes, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C Minor

Hard - Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag and The Entertainer, Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique (Piano Sonata No. 14, I think), Muse's Piano Thing

Advanced - Rondo Alla Turka

Sorry, dunno about Dies Irae. =/
Last edited by yawn at Aug 22, 2007,
Beginner - Popular hymns are always a good choice, anything recognizable really.

Easy - Fur Elise, Beethoven Variations on "God Save the Queen," Bach's Little Fugue in G minor. Various Bach preludes

Intermediate - All 14 Bach inventions. The majority of Bach Fugues and preludes. Two chromatic Preludes Op. 39 (Beethoven). Scriabin Prelude op 122 no 14

I'm going to throw together "advanced and hard" because at this level of playing the student should have the technique to perform anything he or she desires.

Advanced and Hard - Chopin Fantasia Improptu, Chopin Ballade no 1, Any Chopin etude. Any of Liszt's Transcendental etudes, Any of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies, All of Scriabin's Sonatas (3, 4 and 5 being most popular) all of Scriabin's Etudes (op 8 no2 and 12 and op 42 no 5 being most popular), all of Scriabin's poemes and danses, Rachmaninoff prelude op 23 no 5, Prelude in C sharp Minor (op 3 no2), any of Rachmaninoff's piano concertos, Ravel's Scarbo, Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand, any of Scriabin's left handed nocturnes, mazurka's and preludes.

Frankly just grab any of the "virtuous" pieces by the following composers who happened to compose quite a few.

Dvork, Prokofiev, Scriabin, Rachmaninoff, Liszt, Chopin, Bartok, Ravel, Beethoven, Brahms