Page 1 of 2
Hi there,

today, a drummer i know, his dad (also a musician) and I visited Musik Produktiv in Germany. We had to drive about 350 km, but it was worth the pain we had in the a$$ from sitting in the car

Okay, we arrived and went straigt to the amp room. Not bad, they had a lot of stuff, but some amps I hoped to play were not available, like Elmwoods and the Diezels.

I was expecting a really nice clean tone for jazz, that means that the amp should handle complex chords with 100% guitar volume (neck pickup) when I hit the strings really hard without distorting. That is a high expectation, so when I'm saying that the cleans on an amp are bad, it means that many people might find them good/okay for arpeggiated chord playing (think of Metallica, for example) or that you can clean them up with turning down the guitar volume. Horrible means that you really have to turn down your guitar volume to 2/10 and turn up the poweramp volume.

A really good crunch channel is also important to me, it must have that kind of "twang" and be really dynamic for lead playing.

And I need a good, tight high-gain channel for stuff like Necrophagist...

I just sold my Mesa Single Rectifier, because the cleans were horrible (for my needs), the high-gain channel was not tight but loose and because I couldn't footswitch the pushed channel, which is the only good sounding crunch in this amp IMO (low gain in channel 2 [raw] has a voicing which I don't like, it's too compressed).

Now I'll tell you about the amps I tried out today.

Engl Powerball
They say that it has four channels and two EQs. Well, that's bullsh!t. The first thing that striked me when examining the amp was the shared gain control for the clean and crunch channel. Thats a turn-off for me, because I can't get the sounds I want without pedals. But okay, when using a boost in front of the amp that might be okay. You also can't deal in low mids in the clean and high mids in the crunch channel.
The sound of the amp was quite ok though. The cleans were a lot better then the cleans on my recto, but they were not THAT good, maybe okay, but nothing more.
The crunch was quite fine, too, but they were a little sterile.
The first high-gain channel was really great, tight, aggressive, everything you need.
Ch 4 was too compressed for me.

All in all a quite fine amp, definatly worth its money (at least in Germany). Cleans and crunch could be better, though., that's why I won't buy it.

Engl Savage 120
The contols were similar to the powerball, I don't remember details.
The amp must have been broken or something (maybe the valves), because it was rather quiet.
The cleans were much worse than the cleans on the powerball, but better then the recto's. The crunch was better, though, it had more life.
The high-gain channel was not as defined as Ch3 of the powerball, so it's not that good for rhythm playing, but better for leads IMO.

The cleans sucked, so this amp is not for me.

Engl Invader 100
Heyhey, that amp was good! Four independent EQs, Midi and a lot of switches. Good cleans (a bit better then the powerball) and the best crunch of the three Engls, wow! But it doesn't have that much gain. Ch 3 with Gain at 10 was not very defined, but rather muddy. The noise gate was not very good, you could hear that your tone got worse with the gate engaged.

This amp rocks when you are not a heavy rhythm player. It's suited for leads, but you can get better amps for the price.

Engl Special Edition
Well, we all know that this is Engls mothership. Four independant channels, midi and LOTS of switches. You can get almost all the sounds you know from the other Engls. It has the flexibility of the Invader and the distortion of both Powerball and Savage.

This is a great amp, but I won't buy it. Why? Because it costs 3000€ in Germany (they are produced here, so expect it to be even more expencive in other countries). You can get a much better sound for that money. It's not worth it's pricetag.

Framus Cobra
Three independant channels, a bright switch, a mid-cut and midi. Not bad. But wow, that thing is a monster! The cleans were really really good, they were almost the best in a high-gain amp, much better than the Engl SE - but they are not perfect. They don't break up, but they are a little sterile. This is a problem which can be found in so many high-gainers... But this is not a big deal, I bet that you can tweak that out.
The crunch was really good, too, but somehow it lacked that "twang" and life you know from some mid-gain amps. Maybe a booster can help?
The high-gain is what the amp does best, and I wasn't able to find an amp which could do that better (at least for rhythm-guitar). The picking dynamics were just marvellous. You could get a clean sound for chords on Ch 3 with the gain at 3/4 when picking softly! Awesome.

The amp is totally worth it's price (1700&euro. It's a real nice overall-package if you want good cleans and crunch and really heavy killer distortion. Maybe I'll pick it up.

Mesa Mark IV
That amp as so many switches, omg. I was not able to tweak that amp carefully so I put everything on 12 o' clock. The crunch and the lead channel were really really awesome, but the cleans sucked. They were not better than the cleans on the powerball, and I've tried to make them sound better, but I was not able to get a nice sound. The dad of my friend said that he know someone who plays a Strat through a Mark IV and he says that the cleans are not THAT great, too.
I've read that it has lots of gain, but it's not enough for heavy riffing like Necrophagist.

Maybe I'd buy this amp to A/B it with another one for cleans, but this would not be worth the money.

Randall USA T2
Two channels, shared EQ (seperated treble), hybrid. Not very much options.
The clean channel is horrible. My Recto has better cleans. The high gain is quite ok, a bit too noisy and chaotic. That amp is not for me.

Orange AD 50 Custom Shop
One channel, no mid control. Hmm.
This amp has no cleans. I've expected the crunch to be awesome, but it was not better than okay. How can one pay 2500€ for that one when there are so many better amps out there? The price is way too high.

H&K Switchblade
Four channels and footswitchable digital multi-FX. I'm not a big fan of those.
The cleans were really bad. The crunch was quite okay and the high-gain was not that bad, too. But there are much better amps, after tweaking a little bit I've moved on.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Aug 22, 2007,
Custom Audio 100
Holy shi-, 3300€! Two channels, that's it.
The cleans were really really good, a bit better than the Framus Cobra. I bet that you can get a nice crunch with a good OD pedal.
Ch 2 was awesome, too. The gain poti is able to change the sound so much... Heavy rhythm was possible as well as colourful, soft lead sounds. Pure love.

This amp is one of the best I've played in my life, but the price is too high. We know that Custom Audio is a really appreciated brand and that almost every guitar legend owns/has owned one. I bet that this is the reason for that price. It's the same as with signature equipment. I won't buy this one, because there are other boutique amps which are on-par with this one and I don't want to pay for brand names.

Laney GH50L
Two gain levels, one EQ. Hmm, not that great if you want flexibility without A/Bing.
The cleans on this amp were rather bad and the low gain was not that much better - it was too sterile. But the high gain was pretty good, I like it more than the gain on my recto.
750€, thats a great price. If you want a high-gain valve amp for a good price, try this one!

Marshall Vintage JTM45/2245
Two non-footswitchable channels (you can get around this with some knowledge), one shared EQ, 30W.
The cleans are awesome on this one! They sound so shiny and full of life, in my opinion, they are much better than the Cobra or the Custom Audio 100. Put a boost in front of it and you have an awesome crunch sound. But it lacks high-gain, and I don't think that a Metal Muff or anything like that could do the job well.

1300€ for great cleans + approx. 300€ for a boost. Hmm, that might be okay, I think that the superb sound quality is worth the money, but maybe a fender can do the job better for that price?. And what is with the high-gain? That are my problems.

Marshall JVM 410H
Four independant channels, sounds good. But the cleans are so bad, they are worse then everything I've heared today. Dear god.
The crunch was quite fine, I like the marshall-voicing for that. They have a nice dynamic feeling. The high-gain channels were not that great, though. They lacked articulation and were rather muddy. They are good for powerchords, but nothing more.

Well, it's the same as with many other Marshalls: 1400€ is really overpriced. If you want that Marshall sound and 2+ channels, search for boutique amps which are inspirated by Marshall.

Fender American Tube Blues Deluxe Tweed
Two channels and I'm not sure about the EQ, but this amp does not have many options.
There is not much to say about this one. The thing I liked most in this amp were the cleans, which were really complex and colorfull. They are somehow more interesting than the cleans on the other amps I've reviewed so far, but they break up a tiny bit faster than the cleans on the Cobra or the Custom Audio.
The drive channel was really loud, but had a very dynamic feel.
I like this amp more than the JTM45. 800€ are a very good price, but I guess that there are better Fender amps out there. I was not able to try them.

Mesa Lonestar Special
Heyheyhey, this amp was a big surprise! Class A, two channels with several modes and the option to switch between 5 and 30W, nice!
I've expected the cleans to break up soon because 30W are not that much headroom, but that's not true. I've had no problems with the headroom at all and the sound itself was so full! Much better than the Fender amp or the JTM.
But the thing where the amp shines most is definatly the crunch channel. The dynamics, the feel, I felt like I was in heaven.
When compared to the Custom Audio 100, the Lonestar Special is as good or maybe even better than the CA100, but it can't do high gain. 2500€ is a lot of money, but I guess that I can get this one much cheaper over eBay USA, because Mesa is overpriced in Europe.

Bogner Shiva
Two boostable channels with seperate EQs except for the mids, which are shared.
Let's make it simple: Absolute awesome cleans, it can't go much better than this. The same goes to the 2nd channel with low- or mid-gain. Plus, this amp can do high-gain as well much better than the other amps I've played for leads, but not as good as the Cobra for rhythm.
This is simply the best amp I've played in my life and I'd buy it over eBay USA without hesitation (the shop sold it for 2800€, quite much, but not overpriced), but I want to try some more amps.

This is where you can help me. How do the following amps compare the the Shiva:

Elmwood Modena M60 (!)
Bogner XTC

any other suggestions? What about Matamp?

Anyway, I hope that you had fun with my reviews and that you were able to read it, although my english gets worse and worse (I finished school a month ago and my english abilities fade away and have to be renewed soon, but hey, believe it or not, I was quite good there, haha )

edit: oh sorry, this is the wrong forum. I'll cut/paste it.
edit2: ah, you were faster. thanks
^ seconded.

Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Aug 22, 2007,
Haha good reviews. How on Earth did you remember all that, though?
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
damn, that was a long post..
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
i think you may want to look at a Mesa Road King. there's a lot of different sound options in that amp. i can't really say anything more about it, however, as i've never played one
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
long, but very cool list of amps. I tend to agree with you about the Mark IV and Cobra after owning them. Although I do like the Mark's cleans, I did prefer the Cobra's also. You've got me really curious about the CAE 100, I've been trying to play one for a while now, but I wasn't expecting it to be a high gainer. Is it really capable of modern metal tones?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by rickyy
Haha good reviews. How on Earth did you remember all that, though?

Thats easier than it might sound

Quote by cerveza
i think you may want to look at a Mesa Road King. there's a lot of different sound options in that amp. i can't really say anything more about it, however, as i've never played one

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like Mesa distortion at all. But I'll try it out anyway =)

Is it really capable of modern metal tones?

Depends what you expect from a "modern" tone. I don't know about the vileness of that amp with scooped mids as I never do that, but the gain was pretty nice. I'd compare it to the Engl Savage 120, but of course both amps are different. The CAE100 has a little less tightness I think, but it should be okay anyway.
^ seconded.

That's a lot of amps
I'm glad you liked some of those though! By the way, have you ever tried out the Solid State Roland Jazz Chorus? I've heard they have amazing cleans. However, I haven't tried one out yet.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by Philipp Sobecki
Depends what you expect from a "modern" tone. I don't know about the vileness of that amp with scooped mids as I never do that, but the gain was pretty nice. I'd compare it to the Engl Savage 120, but of course both amps are different. The CAE100 has a little less tightness I think, but it should be okay anyway.

fair enough. Not necessarily scooped, but able to remain tight and focused under unnecessarily extreme amounts of gain.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Nice list, though I'll probably never own any of the amps on there, it was kinda cool to read what you had to say about them
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Damn that was long!

Someday I hope to go to Music Store Koln and deliver spam no one man could read!! Good job!
Well if you put all the knobs halfway up on a Mark IV youre definitly not going to get a modern high gain sound... it does not react like a normal amp. You'd need to keep the treble high, as this is like a second gain knob, the bass knob down low, and the mid to taste(doesn't make a huge difference). Then you should engage the graphic EQ in a V shape. Don't forget to pull the gain knob and drive knob too (although some people like the drive knob pushed in as you get less feedback at higher volumes). The presence knob also pulls out for a smoother tone.
Quote by Philipp Sobecki

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't like Mesa distortion at all. But I'll try it out anyway =)

Shoot, then I guess you don't like any distortion at all. Mesa has a wide range of amps capable of producing pretty much most of the spectrum, Stiletto, Roadking, Lonestar, Nomad, Blue Angel, that selection of amps can cover british midrange crunch, to 80's metal to modern metal, not to mention the Stiletto Ace II's can create a very convincing marshall sound. The Mark IV can cover pretty much all the sounds out there, if you want flexibility, the mark IV is the way. Mesa has more than rectifiers, you know. I think you meant you don't like the single recto sound.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
Shoot, then I guess you don't like any distortion at all.

Just read my reviews first.

I've played the Stiletto on the Musik Messe in Frankfurt this year and I didn't like them at all. I don't know about the Road King (as stated above), but I've read that it has the recto-distortion.
Don't be a fanboy, there are many other companies who have different and often better sounds and it happens that I like them more.
^ seconded.

Quote by Philipp Sobecki
Just read my reviews first.

I've played the Stiletto on the Musik Messe in Frankfurt this year and I didn't like them at all. I don't know about the Road King (as stated above), but I've read that it has the recto-distortion.
Don't be a fanboy, there are many other companies who have different and often better sounds and it happens that I like them more.

I'm not a fanboy, and read my post first. I was referring to the stiletto Ace, which is probably the most strikingly different amp that mesa has ever produced. There's the stiletto deuce, trident, ace and II. It's not correct to say "mesa distortion" when the amps they have can cover marshall distortion, and even older fender OD (BA and the old nomad I's). However, if you've tried every single mesa amp out there, then fine, you can say that. It's more correct to say you don't like the rectifier distortion. I don't mean to be confrontational or attacking in any way, but not all mesa amps sound like the rectifiers, you know what I mean?

Also curious, how much is the mark IV over there? I think price may be a big factor of your opinion on certain US amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Aug 23, 2007,
I have to disagree with you about the Orange - it doesn't have many features or that much gain, but the range it does have is beautiful. You don't need thousands of features or highgain for it to sound good.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
holy crap, what an awesome thread!

I tried the bogner xtc head to head with the shiva a few days ago- though best bear in mind that I disagreed with some of your thoughts (i thought the SE was badass, but again as you said it's a lot of cash, and i wasn't too fussed on the shiva cleans- though i admit i was in a rush and didn't have too much time to really tweak things), so it's best to take what i said with a pinch of salt.

I thought the shiva was very good for modded marshall type tones (think 80's metal)- but not much else. I though the cleans were alright, but not great (then again, you're after jazzy cleans, which may explain why you liked them, they were pretty warm).

The xtc had a nicer clean channel, IMO- more fendery and more sparkle, could probably get a bit more modern in the high gain channel, and had a nice vintage warm bark in the plexi mode.

i'm guessing, based on what you thought of the shiva, that you'd really like the xtc, but it'd be best if you could try it, and it's liable to be a lot of money, probably similar to the engl SE.

I agree that the switchblade was rubbish, and the jvm was alright, but there are better options.

I have only tried one matamp... and it wasn't a production model. Seemed pretty nice, it wouldn't get high gain though.

Lonestar classic was nice, but too dear in europe.

I tried a budda superdrive 30 watt combo- it may do what you want, would be worth searching for one at any rate.

I'm a big fan of the cornford hurricane too. THD flexi 50 might be worth a try too. Koch are pretty well-priced in europe too, though may not be just as nice as those boutique heads you were trying. diezel are definitely worth a try, though the only one i've tried (vh4) didn't have amazing cleans, IMO- worse than engl, noticeably (but again that's preference).

I guess, basically, you have a bunch of options, just don't rush, and try as much stuff as you can without wasting half your amp budget on travel!

Again, super thread, thanks for the reviews.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
I have to disagree with you about the Orange - it doesn't have many features or that much gain, but the range it does have is beautiful. You don't need thousands of features or highgain for it to sound good.

true, but you kinda do if you need high gain...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Reincaster: I get your point, I just thought that if I don't like the Recto and Stiletto, then I won't like the other Mesas much more Well yeah, the Mark IV has awesome lead tones. It's f***ing expencive here (like 2500-3000&euro, but that's not the problem, I'd just import it. Shipping + taxes are anyway much cheaper than a new one here.

MrCarrot: Yeah, it's a one-trick pony, but anyway, I didn't like the sound at all.

Dave: Thanks! Yeah, I'd love to try some Cornfords, but they are not that available here. I've just looked into THD and I love the tones you can get there! I'm not sure which is nicer, the BiValve or the Flexi. I've checked Harmony Central and many people rated the Flexi with a 7 or lower, while the BiValve has almost constant 9 or 10. This amp is now on my list.
And the Budda... I've never seen one here in Germany

Well, I guess that I'll skip the high-gain. Good cleans and low-/mid-gain are so much more important to me...
^ seconded.

Quote by Dave_Mc
true, but you kinda do if you need high gain...
Aye, but I'm just saying if you don't need high gain then you don't really need...well high gain
^

^^

another one i always forget is the brunetti xlr-evo. They're italian, i think some of the big german stores are stockists. it does get pretty high gain too. Of course, if you're willing to forego the high gains in favour of cleans and mid gain, there are probably a bunch of other amps you should be looking at... EDIT: oh and i hear good things about the diezel einstein for the mid gain tones. haven't tried one, though, but based on the vh4 it should be at least "nice"...

i prefer the thd flexi 50 to the bivalve... that's only from my limited trying out, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dear god man, stop going on about the cleans and shared e.q's and all that bull, they make amps to get good sounds - its like saying you bought a ferrari f40 but took it back cause it didnt have air con. and an mp3 played built in, i mean, come on!
Your comparison is wrong. It's more like saying that you bought a Ferrari F40 but took it back because it's only good for driving like 120 mph+, while it gets beaten by Toyotas in slower territories.

Do you understand that some people need good sounding cleans? Your logic would be to pick the Orange and skip the Cobra, because good cleans and versatility are overrated.
^ seconded.

Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Aug 24, 2007,
Quote by Philipp Sobecki
Your comparison is wrong. It's more like saying that you bought a Ferrari F40 but took it back because it's only good for driving like 120 mph+, while it gets beaten by Toyotas in slower territories.

I'd say it's more like you bought a Ferrari F40. Then took it back because you realised it was pointless when you could get a F430 Spider for less with better performance...
Quote by Philipp Sobecki

Do you understand that some people need good sounding cleans? Your logic would be to pick the Orange and skip the Cobra, because good cleans and versatility are overrated.

you lot are incredible for breaking down what i just said - of course some people want cleans, fact is, some amps are made not to be really used for cleans, so yeah the cleans arent good on a 5150, but really dont go slating this amp for its poor cleans when peavey etc dont go raving round about amazing cleans on this amp - its van halens amp enough said (brown sound) - btw i have an engl, mate - there is no amp on this planet which has cleans, crunch and heaviness which mark over 8 each - sad fact is, that is why big bands have multiple amps onstage and gigantic pedal boards - BUT that is the fun of it!
^ agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by davedoom
you lot are incredible for breaking down what i just said - of course some people want cleans, fact is, some amps are made not to be really used for cleans, so yeah the cleans arent good on a 5150, but really dont go slating this amp for its poor cleans when peavey etc dont go raving round about amazing cleans on this amp - its van halens amp enough said (brown sound) - btw i have an engl, mate - there is no amp on this planet which has cleans, crunch and heaviness which mark over 8 each - sad fact is, that is why big bands have multiple amps onstage and gigantic pedal boards - BUT that is the fun of it!

Wasn't the JCM 800 the Brown Sound amp?

Also, I'd say the Mark IV would rate above 8 on cleans, crunch and heaviness, but that's just me.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

^ well, i mean he used them on tour..... hmmm

AND the mk4 has pretty crappy cleans imo - many have said it - nice high gains though
Quote by davedoom
^ well, i mean he used them on tour..... hmmm

AND the mk4 has pretty crappy cleans imo - many have said it - nice high gains though

And many have said the MK IV has great cleans.

Search "Mark iv cleans" and there's nary a bad word to be heard about them. Words include "pristine, fat, shimmering, impeccable...."

I admit, I wasn't blown away at first by the mark IV, however, it's one of those amps that takes a good amount of tweaking to sound it's best.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Aug 25, 2007,
A plexi with a variac was "the" Brown Sound amp. And the Mark IV cleans are far from crappy if you know how to use the amp, the first Mark was basically a hotrodded Fender Princeton.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
A plexi with a variac was "the" Brown Sound amp. And the Mark IV cleans are far from crappy if you know how to use the amp, the first Mark was basically a hotrodded Fender Princeton.

Thank you sir :bow:

I see, plexi? Then again, EVH spread alot of BS on his part to hide the secrets of the brown sound.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

the first 3 albums, VH1, VH2, and Fair Warning is where the "brown sound" became famous. He used a 100W SL with a variac so he could lower the voltage to the amp, and drive the tubes harder. It's pretty well documented these days, you can only hide stuff for so long with all the information sources today. He was successfull in making a lot guitarists guess on his setup for many years though.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 25, 2007,
^and when he first began tapping, he turned his back to the audience, swish!

mkIV cleans in comparison to others i meant and i did say IMO
Quote by davedoom
^and when he first began tapping, he turned his back to the audience, swish!

mkIV cleans in comparison to others i meant and i did say IMO

I'm aware you said IMO, but then you said "Many have said it" as if that was your supporting point. I have never heard anyone say the MKIV cleans were crap, hard to eq maybe, or even slightly sharper to the ears, but never crap.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Gentlemen (and or ladies) I am speechless. I had no idea such detailed knowledge of tube amps existed on this forum. Great reviews and critiques. It was entertaining to me to see some of the great name amps "humbled." Just expressing my appreciation. I have nothing else to add.
hm.. You left most of the Mark IV's knobs at 12 o'clock, and thought it sounded impressive?
Go back, spend a good hour tweaking, and you'll cream yourself.

I dig the cleans on mine, better than any other high-gain amp I tried out in Hollywood.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Page 1 of 2