well sorta...i mean some parts sound pretty good IMO...but i'll let you UGer's decide.
two questions:
1) Does it have an original sound?
2) What genre would you consider it?
3) Should I stop all this, and just burn everything that has to do with guitar, including myself?

the lead and bass parts are out there in some spots, and there is good amount of wrong notes and parts that are in wrong modes and keys.

I used Mixcraft3.1, a computer mic, and all my gear except acoustic and GRG (it's broken).

Another thing to mention, at 1:55 is supposed to be "climax" of the song, and i try shredding and mixing some legato stuff in...didn't work out too well. And the whole lead part was basically improv.

Alright, let's be fair here and not completely shun me...this was made during my daily practice, and it happened while I was tuning from Drop C to Standard...

TUNING: DGCFAE (bottom-top) basically D standard with the 1st string being an E

*I'm not that good, but I don't SUCK at guitar...this is just me basically messing around; sorta testing myself...i dunno

**ENDING SUCKS

GO TO MY PROFILE AND LISTEN TO "JAM SNAP", THEN COME BACK HERE AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 22, 2007,
sounds good man. keep it up. the intro is a bit sloppy, but u can fix that im sure. dont worry man dont quit you're doing alright.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Quote by thycrusader
sounds good man. keep it up. the intro is a bit sloppy, but u can fix that im sure. dont worry man dont quit you're doing alright.

Yeah, when i was recording the intro for the lead guitar...i was off a bit because the monitor setting was on, and i could hear a delayed version of me playing through my computer speakers; which totally messed me up. But i switched it during the "verse" part.

Thanks for the comment!
That's good stuff for just messing around. It has some originality to it, but it needs more work.
The arrangements are good, but your lead needs a bit more direction. Overall good job man, keep it up and don't stop playing. I'll be looking forward to what you'll be making in a year from now.
oh and i just noticed something...at 3:20, it sounds like crap because my pinky kept hitting the strings i was trying to do pinch harmonics on.

And just to clarify, THIS SONG WAS SOMETHING JUST OUT OF PURE BOREDOM/TUNING UP...NO, THAT DOES NOT MEAN NOT LISTEN TO IT; YES, IT MEANS I PROBABLY WON'T JUDGE REVIEWS AS SERIOUS AS IF IT WERE A SONG I'D PLAY LIVE...although if it gets a lot of good reviews, i may revamp it?
Quote by Megaman8411
That's good stuff for just messing around. It has some originality to it, but it needs more work.
The arrangements are good, but your lead needs a bit more direction. Overall good job man, keep it up and don't stop playing. I'll be looking forward to what you'll be making in a year from now.

Thanks!

I try to make things original sounding, but i can agree it needs a lot of work

I can play covers and stuff pretty good and my originals i write on guitar pro are decent, but when it comes to improvising...let's just say that's why i made this...to see where i was at.

The lead needing more direction: In the first two bands i was in, I played rhythm guitar

Thanks for the review, and i'll try to put some covers or some of my originals up soon...to show me actually playing, instead of improv.
most of the problems stemmed from the sloppiness of it all, which is totalyl understandable since your just doing it quickly during practice. Overall, there were a few parts in there that sounded good, and plenty of parts that were blah, but not much that was outright bad. also, whatever you're using to record with needs to go. badly. do a direct line in, or something, but not whatever it is your doing.

crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654418
Quote by mangaka82
most of the problems stemmed from the sloppiness of it all, which is totalyl understandable since your just doing it quickly during practice. Overall, there were a few parts in there that sounded good, and plenty of parts that were blah, but not much that was outright bad. also, whatever you're using to record with needs to go. badly. do a direct line in, or something, but not whatever it is your doing.

crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654418

yeah

i know a guy in town who has a recording studio to use for some small fee, but for now i'm going to stick with the horrible one because...well...it's cheap, and i really just need to focus on buying an amp (for guitar stuff, that is)
thanks for the crit

there does seem to be a bit of sloppyness, seems like u r barely fretting or something. the tone of the rhythm guitar is what killed me the most, it was so distorted i coild barely make out the notes, but that could be the recording. the lead seems to be real thin, like ure not playing with confidence, i guess this comes from lack of experience in improvising. some notes were off, but once again it was improv so that could be it too. u just need to practice getting ure fingers more comftorable with playing those faster licks, even if it is legato. good writing wont come overnight, but i can seem some good stuff coming, i saw some parts where there was a pretty cool theme but u didnt really develop it, but all in all, id practice a bit then come back on it
dude, what about an actual solo in death metal instead of that poof from linkin park. Think of Pulse of the Maggots - Bed Of Razors

#1 MEMEBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB (PM URE FAV BANDS TO ME TO JOIN)
I think it's pretty good actually. It could definitely be an awesome instrumental song.

Don't put yourself down so much. Your playing was really good
Quote by The2abraxis
thanks for the crit

there does seem to be a bit of sloppyness, seems like u r barely fretting or something. the tone of the rhythm guitar is what killed me the most, it was so distorted i coild barely make out the notes, but that could be the recording. the lead seems to be real thin, like ure not playing with confidence, i guess this comes from lack of experience in improvising. some notes were off, but once again it was improv so that could be it too. u just need to practice getting ure fingers more comftorable with playing those faster licks, even if it is legato. good writing wont come overnight, but i can seem some good stuff coming, i saw some parts where there was a pretty cool theme but u didnt really develop it, but all in all, id practice a bit then come back on it

Thanks!

Yeah, it was sloppy, but if i'd learn more modes/key and such, i'd be able to play much better and more efficiently. As stated before, this wasn't really a serious recording, just something to estimate my level of improv after a few weeks of working on keys and scales, then mixing in a weird alternate tuning messed it up. I usually just work on easy original with a simple rhythm, decent lead part; but thanks for the advice.

The recording might've been "thin" seeing as it's analog-to-digital-to-SS amp-to-computer mic. But yeah, I'll be more confident once i get in a tuning i know where the things are.

I'll take your advice, and do twice as much finger exercises before I start practicing, and try to do some accelerators on GP5.

Thanks, again!

Quote by Spamwise
I think it's pretty good actually. It could definitely be an awesome instrumental song.

Don't put yourself down so much. Your playing was really good

Maybe if i'd work the kinks and stuff out it'd be DECENT.

And i'm not putting myself down like most people thing, i realize this isn't that great...but your guy's reviews are going to help me establish a base on which to build upon my playing ability.

*my playing was that good, but thanks
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 22, 2007,
Quote by dudey5691
yeah

i know a guy in town who has a recording studio to use for some small fee, but for now i'm going to stick with the horrible one because...well...it's cheap, and i really just need to focus on buying an amp (for guitar stuff, that is)

dude where is that? I'm from ohio as well, and i would love to use a recording studio in the future.
Quote by Spamwise
dude where is that? I'm from ohio as well, and i would love to use a recording studio in the future.

I don't know if it'd be worth the drive. He's more a private recorder; dealing only with those he knows close, and his own band.

Plus, it's like 3 hour drive from Waynesville to Carey. Might as well try to record with some of the public ones...

Firefly Studios
Electric Angel Studios

and probably countless other ones.

Sorry
Quote by dudey5691
I don't know if it'd be worth the drive. He's more a private recorder; dealing only with those he knows close, and his own band.

Plus, it's like 3 hour drive from Waynesville to Carey. Might as well try to record with some of the public ones...

Firefly Studios
Electric Angel Studios

and probably countless other ones.

Sorry

Ah okay. i wasn't sure where Carey is.