everything I like to play is either power chords or something pretty hard. I hate power chords. I've grown past them and need something harder to play, I haven't improved much this month. Any song suggestions? I'm fine with anything classic rock, metal, punk or emo.
play some radiohead, lots of interesting chord voicings in there.
Fender Standard Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan JB in Bridge)
Epiphone Explorer
Marshall MG100DFX 100 watt combo
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Morely Vol Volume (vintage 1975)
learn some radiohead, 2+2=5 is quite good, it uses quite "unusual" chords(so to speak) if u know wot i mean. no power chords =)
haha lol, i was just 2 slow 2 reply, firast thing wot came into my head tho, anyway thats more than one person with the sm suggestion, so go 4 it xD
What I tend to do these days. Is that I use power chords, but I change the shape of them. So that I'm not playing a full power chord as such. Removing the fifth or making it dimished. Spices up the sound whilst retaining the speed and ease of change.

But I wholly recommend listening to Muse and Radiohead. If you want good examples of cool powerchord inversions, check out Stockholm Syndrome.
Quote by FreedomFighter
What I tend to do these days. Is that I use power chords, but I change the shape of them. So that I'm not playing a full power chord as such. Removing the fifth or making it dimished. Spices up the sound whilst retaining the speed and ease of change.

But I wholly recommend listening to Muse and Radiohead. If you want good examples of cool powerchord inversions, check out Stockholm Syndrome.

That's a great song to learn. Try Microcuts as well.
use 3rds or 2nd chords like megadeth fore example run with small fore not arpeggieos
used right oyu can get a mellow sad sound thats purely perfect
"while you where fighting i had sex with her and to let you know she ravaged me .......not bragging but she had the biggest penis ever"--cuddles--pwk
Yeah. Superman is also right.

If you want to fore into more complex voicings and progressions. Use modes. For example. If you want an evil song. Bring up the Phyrgian mode in whatever key you desire. Then use the notes to construct evil chords.

Guitarists seem to forget that scales can be imagined as chords, and not just means of making licks and riffs.
Quote by FreedomFighter
Yeah. Superman is also right.

If you want to fore into more complex voicings and progressions. Use modes. For example. If you want an evil song. Bring up the Phyrgian mode in whatever key you desire. Then use the notes to construct evil chords.

Guitarists seem to forget that scales can be imagined as chords, and not just means of making licks and riffs.

The evil chords will kill you!!!
Well AC/DC uses mostly open position chords & it sounds cool.
Try Police - Message in a Bottle...they use suspended chords for the verses, sounds sweet.
The opening to Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills & Far Away is a good one to learn. So is Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd.