hi, i am really torn between getting a guitar with a tremelo system and one with a fixed bridge. I have owned a cort x6 with a trem system before and had massive trouble tuning.

I play a lot of metal and would quite like the option of doing dive bombs and all that stuff.

what should i do? what are the pros and cons of each option?

thank
ibanez s470dxqm...get one..u fall in love...has a ZR trem..doesnt go out of tune however much wankage the whammy takes...

pros..all the above..
cons..

nuff said
ZR trems are probably second best nevt to original FR trems. S and SZ Ibanez guitars are the only ones w/ ZR's, but u might try a good RG with a Floyd.
Ibanez ZR is a good trem. Decent trems can be a pain in the arse to restring and fiddle with intonation but I do love the whammy wankage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
I also have the s470, and it has a great neck, great bridge, sounds good, and generally feels nice to play.I play absolutely no metal, I just like how it plays.

EDIT: Hey, mines in blue too!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by padwaxk88
ibanez s470dxqm...get one..u fall in love...has a ZR trem..doesnt go out of tune however much wankage the whammy takes...

pros..all the above..
cons..

nuff said

I actually saw one of those in my local guitar shop and loved the look of it. i should have tried it out. Love the idea of a body being that thin but because its mahogany still having some thickness to its tone
Last edited by Sepulturick at Aug 22, 2007,
Get a whammy pedal instead. The same exact sound, a better range, and it won't suck your sustain out.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
i do not like floyds..terrible things :S at least zr have some form of magically spring fairys that keep it in tune when u have a breakage..AND i hate restringing FRs..the rg350dx i had..swapped in n OFR..got it set up..still went spazzy..so ZR all the way for me
Quote by Sepulturick
I actually saw one of tose in my local guitar shop and loved the look of it. i should have tried it out. Love the idea of a body being that thin but because its mahogany still having soem thickness to its tone

Its definitely worth trying out.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by Sepulturick
I actually saw one of tose in my local guitar shop and loved the look of it. i should have tried it out. Love the idea of a body being that thin but because its mahogany still having soem thickness to its tone

ever get a chance....get one!
Quote by padwaxk88
ever get a chance....get one!

I can't afford the instore price but online prices are much cheaper. just won't be able to try the one i actually buy, if i were to buy that model!
just make sure you get something with a decent trem then- OFR, schaller, Gotoh, ibanez edge, lo-pro edge, edge pro (nothing with numbers in it!), ZR, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I managed to find a reasonably priced second hand one.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by subliminaldelta
Get a whammy pedal instead. The same exact sound, a better range, and it won't suck your sustain out.

questions:

can you do a gargle with a whammy pedal?

can you do whinnying noises?

can you do vibrato with a whammy pedal?

can you do scoops and doops?

can you lower the pitch and then hit the harmonic on the way up again without repicking?

probably more, but i'm tired.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
questions:

can you do a gargle with a whammy pedal?

can you do whinnying noises?

can you do vibrato with a whammy pedal?

can you do scoops and doops?

can you lower the pitch and then hit the harmonic on the way up again without repicking?

probably more, but i'm tired.

Can you go up 2 octaves with a whammy bar?
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by subliminaldelta
Can you go up 2 octaves with a whammy bar?

since when does having a whammy bar prevent you from buying a whammy pedal?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I never said that it didn't. People like what they like. But I won't be getting a floyd-equipped guitar anytime soon.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
^ you said it has the exact same sound, and it obviously doesn't. I have no problem with the whammy pedal, as you rightly suggested, there are things it can do which the double-locking trem can't, but from the sounds of things the threadstarter could use a locking trem, not a whammy pedal...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by qotsa1998
ZR trems are probably second best nevt to original FR trems. S and SZ Ibanez guitars are the only ones w/ ZR's, but u might try a good RG with a Floyd.

SZs don't have trems.

You had trouble with your old Cort because the trem was a rubbish one.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
do trem fitted guitars perform well for heavy metal rhythm playing? i need a guitar than can do both rhythm and leads
should be fine. as always, best bet is to try both a trem guitar and a non-trem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes,the S470 is a great guitar,but changing the strings might be slightly irritating..but ask the shop keeping to show you how to change it if you can
Learn to spell tremolo before buying anything

I'd honestly say get one. It's better to have one that you don't use than to wish you had one. You really can't replicate the sound of a real divebomb or whammy harmonic with any sort of pedal.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
It can be spelt tremelo or tremolo. Should be called a vibrato bridge anyway.
Double locking will hold tune but will be pain to change strings or tunings with. If you have a well set up guitar you can get away with a traditional trem system set up to float. My Pacifica holds tune for several days - even after serious whammy wankage. Obviously you will have to tune more often (but it's easier to do) and changing tunings is still a pain. Ibanez S's and RG prestiges are good options.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
i'm pretty sure it's spelt "tremolo" exclusively.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Ibanez's Lo-TRS II bridge holds tuning for about... hmm maybe half an hour. Damn piece of crap - one day i'll be able to afford replacing it

But if you stay away from bad trems they can be a lot of fun. Restringing and maintenence isn't half as hard as people make it out to be. Once you've got it down its easy.
^ agreed. my lo-trs holds tuning for, er, about half of "mr. scary" by george lynch.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i went and bought an s470 and so far its cool. i got it second hand via ebay. its one of the older models with an allen key slot to change the spring tension instead of the roller and i think it has v7 and v8 pickups instead of the infinity ones.

I have been messing about trying to set it up properly all day which is a big put off but i seem to have it playing quite nicely. just a bit of fret buzz now. the first thing i did is change the strings and gauge so that may account for the work i have had to put in today. it only came this morning!
Last edited by Sepulturick at Mar 9, 2008,
Pro's
Great for staying in tune.
Can get some amazing unique sounds out of

Con's
Pain to restring and put into different tunnings.

Basically, I made the mistake of getting a floating trem on my first guitar which was an ibanez. Note that when I say mistake, i mean it was a mistake because it wasnt a good idea for a first guitar.

One thing you got to realize that is to tune it, its on a single peice of metal thats 'floating' by tension. So if you tighten one string, the rest of the strings are going to go flat. And you got to tune it several time. Granted after a while you can predict how to tune it and do it fairly quickly...

When you first get it, your gonna have to level the floating trem, adjust the intonation, and tune it. And to get it level, you have to adjust the angle, and retune it until the bridge becomes level which can take a while.

But with that being said, they are awesome trems if thats what you want. There are so many people who get them and then make a post the next day about having problems with them... Make sure that it is what you want, and if it is go for it.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial