Does anyone know a good distortion pedal to get a SRV like tone?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
an overdrive? Ibanez Tubescreamer?

get a tube amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
an overdrive? Ibanez Tubescreamer?

get a tube amp.

I am, but I can't afford one for another 3 months or so. I need something to hold me over until I get my....Carvin V3
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Get an overdrive pedal, not a distortion.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
you want an overdrive not distortion for blues, check out a tubescreamer or a fulltone ocd, and run it into a tube amp.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
I just got a Bad Monkey since it was cheap. I'm not sure how to use overdrive pedals, do I put on distortion and then put on the OD pedal? Or put it on clean and then turn the OD pedal on?
a tubescreamer will help get an SRV type overdrive sound. right now im using a Boss overdrive and it sounds pretty good as well. i can get a pretty good SRV tone out of it. big strings help too. but dont turn it up too much. when i get some more money im going to get me a tubescreamer.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
a tubescreamer will help get an SRV type overdrive sound. right now im using a Boss overdrive and it sounds pretty good as well. i can get a pretty good SRV tone out of it. big strings help too. but dont turn it up too much. when i get some more money im going to get me a tubescreamer.

Ok, but how do I use a Overdrive pedal? I've never used one before.
Thats like asking if a Mad Professor is good for jazz

/bad humor

you want an overdrive, not a distortion.

^its used just like a regular pedal, only it sounds much more pleasing than a distortion.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
Thats like asking if a Mad Professor is good for jazz

/bad humor

you want an overdrive, not a distortion.

^its used just like a regular pedal, only it sounds much more pleasing than a distortion.

What I mean is do put gain on the amp first and then use the pedal or do I use the pedal with a clean setting on my amp?
When using a tube amp, its sounds good on both settings. i wouldent even get one until you get a tube amp, honestly, they dont sound that good normally on SS amps.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Well I got it and I don't have a tube amp. What should I use it on now?
The Bad Monkey should have come with a manual in the box with some settings for it. Try some of the settings on the clean channel and mess around with them till you get a sound you like. One of them is texas tone so it should get you as close to SRV as you can without a tube amp.
I don't think the texas tone sounds anything texas like, but I could need to do some more tweaking with my amp.

I like it best when my amp is slightly breaking up, with gain up 3/4 or so, highs full and lows past the middle. I can get a great tone like that, now if only I had a (decent) stratocaster, I'm sure it would sound more SRV like.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Yea the texas tone isnt that good but a little tweaking or some more bass would help it out. It's not going to be perfect, but until you get that Carvin, it's the best chance you have.

Oh and btw, what guitar do you have?
Quote by ECistheBest
Ibanez Tubescreamer is ur best bet.

lol as your selling your ts808 in your sig... Did you get a ts9 or something? Anyways, why do you say the TS is his best bet? What do you think of the ocd? I might buy an OD soon as well, and all of my local shops don't have an OCD on display, so I can't compare the OD's I'm looking at
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Quote by PieceOfMind666
lol as your selling your ts808 in your sig... Did you get a ts9 or something? Anyways, why do you say the TS is his best bet? What do you think of the ocd? I might buy an OD soon as well, and all of my local shops don't have an OCD on display, so I can't compare the OD's I'm looking at

i have a new replacement. a BYOC TubeScreamer Kit with nice modifications. mid hump, asymmetrical clipping, brightness, and the Texas Instrument RC4558 chip. why not sell my TS808 spec TS9 with the keeley plus mod??
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
uhhh...
what?

Haha, so what does that expensive sounding chip mod do?

EDIT: I went to the BYOC page, and I'm assuming this is what you bought:
http://buildyourownclone.com/screamer.html
So did you buy the Texas Instrument chip seperately, and use that instead, or did you also buy it from BYOC?
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Last edited by PieceOfMind666 at Aug 22, 2007,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yea the texas tone isnt that good but a little tweaking or some more bass would help it out. It's not going to be perfect, but until you get that Carvin, it's the best chance you have.

Oh and btw, what guitar do you have?

I have an ESP LTD F-250, but I hate it so I'm using a Squire strat. I'm ordering a Carvn though so it''l be here in a month.
Last edited by StrokeMidnight at Aug 22, 2007,
If ya got the money, buy a AC Boost from Xotic Effects. They're like 160, but it is as smooth and sweet a sound as you can get for blues. I use it constantly.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Well I got it and I don't have a tube amp. What should I use it on now?

haha everyone ignored you, anyways...

You should use your pedal with the clean channel on your amp which will give you a bluesy tone. Tweak it to taste.

If you have an SS amp and you use it on some kind of distortion channel it will sound like ****.

However, if you use it on a tube amp you can use the pedal to give you a slight boost for solos or just to get more gain out of the amp.