Is it harder to shred on a Fender Strat than on a ibanez, and if so, how much harder. They say Ibanez has thinner neck, why does this make a difference?

Also i find that my neck on my strat is too narrow. Are the Ibanez/Shred necks wider?

Thanks man!

Also when i work on a metronom, trying to muild up my speed by chromatic exercies i can do the 1-2-3-4 part ok, but when i wanna do it backwards i find it hard. Should all my fingers be on the string for the backward part or should i only put the finger that i need on the string.

Thanks!!!!!!
i shred on my lp. i find super low action is more important than neck profile. although its all what your used to. and i had an ibanez rg with the super thin neck, and i find it just as easy on my lp.
i <3 my gibson.

proud member of the anti-ibanez milita. my rg1570 was the crappiest guitar i've ever owned.

Quote by Rankles
Christ. I'd hate to see you break a pencil, you'd probably go on a killing spree.
a wider neck doesn't it make easier to shred a thinner one does
Do the names Janick Gers, Adrian Smith and Dave Murray ring a bell? How's about that dude Malmsteen, hm?

Yes, you can shred on Strats if you must.
ok, for the shredding, yes, its much easier on a thinner neck but i find if you practice on a fatter neck it makes your technique better anyways. and generally ibanez have better pickups for shredding whereas something like a strat has a thicker neck for better sustain and jazzy pickups

when you do that excercise, you want to try to have at least 3 of your fingers down when going backwards, the reason you find it harder because your fingers are weaker in that motion in comparison to the other direction, so make sure you get the three down and play it efficiently; dont cheat, your fingers wont get stronger if you do
Quote by metal Lover
look at yngwie

Yngwie's fretboard is scalloped though - not your average Fender strat.
Quote by Miasma909
Yngwie's fretboard is scalloped though - not your average Fender strat.

If anything, the scalloped fretboard would make it harder.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
i think the answer is yes its easier to shred on a ibanez, they are designed for shredding and metal alike.
I shred (or at least attempt to) on a Strat. Really the only fallback is the huge neck joint, which isn't too bad for me because I have long fingers.
Shiny metallic purple armor.
Quote by jmag
If anything, the scalloped fretboard would make it harder.

+1

generally speaking the thinner and flatter (ie larger fretboard radius) the better suited a guitar is to "shredding" but of course when it comes right down to it its all about preference, what works for you might not work for someone else and vice versa. for me, my jackson is perfect, somewhere between an ibanez and a strat for thickness and the radius is smaller on the lower end of the neck than it is up higher. (i forget the term they use for this).
^Compound radius.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm eventually going to get a new neck for my strat, and I think I want a compund radius
Shiny metallic purple armor.
^ I like how you write, "i do it, yngwie does it too" lol like you were doing it before him, i try to play fast on my strat, it's pretty good
a strat is made for good bends and emotive playing, so playing one over an ibanez should give you better character and technique, plus it means you'll be able to play most guitars, and not be stuck with ibanezs for the rest of your life.

famous players-wise, what about richie blackmore? possibly the father of shred, next to van halen.
Carl Verheyen and Eric Johnson both use strats primarily. Youtube them if you haven't heard of them.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.