I want to start making my own designs on t-shirts with stencils. The only thing is, I don't know how to make a stencil. I'm pretty sure just using printer paper won't work. What material can I use?
Peace.
Im also interested in this. I think you can go to the hobby section of a store and buy some premade letters. That is all I have found out so far. Maybe sticker paper would help?
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
It would just be easier to make the design of your choice in Photoshop/Paintshop/GIMP/etc. Print it onto a piece of paper, and then mat that piece of paper onto a piece of construction paper (or something equally thick).

Once you have it matted, use a utility blade to carve the design out. Use bridges (pieces of tape or paper connecting 2 pieces of your stencil) if necessary.

Also, you can't use regular paint. You need to use a textile paint.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
do silk screen, it would be easier in my opinion. not that hard once you figure it out either. All you need is a wooden frame the screen some ink. Its been a while since we did it in art class so I'm not sure what you would use to put the design on the screen.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Quote by dustinrhocks4
do silk screen, it would be easier in my opinion. not that hard once you figure it out either. All you need is a wooden frame the screen some ink. Its been a while since we did it in art class so I'm not sure what you would use to put the design on the screen.

Silk screening is more expensive, though, what with the ink and all. Plus, you can easily screw up a perfectly good potential shirt by using too much or too little ink.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
I'll try to PM you my massive explanation, but my computer is acting up.
my band is here ------> myspace.com/weareattica
It looks like I'll have to post it in chunks.....****

SUPPLIES:
-Mylar sheeting OR tracing paper.
-A #2 X-Acto blade
-Spray adhesive
-some fabric paint (bottled)
-a fat stenciling brush, and a skinny stenciling brush

(optional supplies:
-an iron
-a respirator so you don't breathe in the delicious adhesive fumes)
...Now let's get started.

1.)Make sure your clothing item is cleaned and dryed. Then iron if you want to make sure it's nice and flat. After that put a piece of cardboard underneath that piece of the fabric to make sure you have an even surface and no bleed through.

2.)Print out what you want to stencil (ask me if you want in-depth Photoshop descriptions if you want to "stecil-ize" something). Then tape it to the mylar/tracing paper to that is faces up through it. Now start cutting out with the X-acto the area that will become paint designs. This can be a whole hell of a lot trickier than it sounds, so be careful.
3.)Get that extra-toxic spray adhesive and spray it to the back of the stencil - don't breathe that **** it, or you'll get brain damage, so if you want, you could go buy a respirator (especially if you want to do graffiti safely...if you're into it). Then stick in onto the clothing item. Make sure the edges are stuck down.

4.) Now get that paint and empty it into a plate or a bowl or something. Then dip the edges of the brushes bristles in it and pound away at the clothing item. you use a sort of blotting motion to pound the paint in between the threads.
5.) Once it looks nice and solid, peel off the stencil (and save for later, if you want). Now...drying usually takes like 4 hours...then another 72 hours until you are supposed to wash it (I recommend washing it inside-out just to be sure).

6.)-OPTIONAL-before you wash it, put a bed sheet over the design and iron over the bed sheet. I've heard this "seals" the paint it better...but I'm not really sure.

I hope I could help.
If you need more info, just ask.
I've done it with freezer paper. I would find something I liked (I used an ELP logo) and print it out, then lay it on freezer paper and cut out the design. Then I painted in the logo and ironed over the paper (I'm leaving out some steps, there are some tutorials available somewhere on the internet).