hey i'm doing a speech for music on Yngwie Malmsteen and i'm just looking for some technical information about his music, such as scales, modes, tuning and all that. i'm not too good on my theory so try to dumb it down if you can. and i'd prefer it if there wasn't any information on what a fag he is, because i think we already know that. thanks
I'm not sure if its helpful but i think he nearly always uses harmonic minor and melodic minor scales and generally phyrgian, aeolian and ionian modes. He usually tunes his guitar half step down to E flat i think or standart, other than these two ive never seen a song of him.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
scalloped fingerboard? Thats not really tuning, more technique.
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
If you know about his personality, then here comes the theory.

Yngwie Malmsteen likes to use the harmonic/natural/melodic (primarily the harmonic) minor modes and rarely major modes. Malmsteen uses a really wide and fast vibrato in addition to technically fast solos. He also frequently uses the dominant phrygian mode (for example, if the key was originally in E minor, his key changes during a solo would be in the key of B phygian which is basically the E minor scale but starting and ending on the strong notes of the B family).
By playing a major fifth and six chord (and the occasional minor 4th chord) Malmsteen makes the progression sound more 'B' than in 'E'. Pedal points are also one of his playing highlights, playing a part in almost all of his solos. An example of pedal pointing would be playing:

Am
--------------12---10---12------12-----12-------12-----12---------
---------10-------------------13------12-----10-------9-----10~~~
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arpeggios are a vital part of his playing, usually in fast succession.
He also uses the cycle of fifths progression and sequencing in his music.

Sequencing Example:
10-13-12-13-10-13-12-13-8-12-10-12-8-12-10-12|-7-10-8-10-7-10-8-10--5-8-7-8--|
--------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------|
--------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------|

Notice how the same phrase structure is played within the 'A minor' scale, just starting from descending notes.

Cycle of fifths basically means that the chord played is the fifth of the next chord played. This was prominent during the Baroque period and many neo-classical works.

Example, in the key of A minor
Am, Dm, G maj, C maj, F maj, B dim, E maj, Am

His tuning is in E flat (standard tuning but just flat everything)

Don't forget, he also uses the pentatonic scale for his blues stuff.

Hope this helped,
Royce Lee
some points about malmsteen, im not going to delve into them as you shud do your own research but key points bout his playing are:
Eb tuning
harmonic minor modes
wide vibrato
pedal point licks
economy picking/alternate picking
arpeggios
harmonics
palm muting
and most importantly...FIRE!!!
Quote by beaker

and most importantly...FIRE!!!

Locked and Loaded reference?
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
He likes diminished arpeggios too. I think Royce covered everything I could possibly say (plus a lot more!)
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
In addition to his focus on minor keys, he will occasionally unleash the focking fury.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Don't forget to put in the speech the process he goes through in order for him to be able to...

UNLEASH THE FOCKING FURY!!!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Look him up on WIKIPEDIA.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08