i am new and i diddnt but a expensice guitar. i bought a les paul special 2. will it sound better if i buy new strings and replace the stock. and if so, what strings should i get?
u cant go rong with ernie ball slinkys, they have tonnes of sizes, regulars are fine for me
Whatever feels good. If you don't mind the strings now, don't bother. Strings are all personal preference.

u cant go rong with ernie ball slinkys

Or maybe You can't go wrong with Ernie Ball Slinkies?

Besides, you can. You can just not like them.
well its all personal preferance, id recomend ernie ball regular or super slinky or d'addario regular lights
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I like Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Elixirs are better if you got the budget.
Perhaps you will too
if you got nothing good to say say nothing at all.
It won't make that much of a diference if the strings are brand new.
What music do you like to play?
yes it makes a huge difference, but it really depends on the kind of string you are going to put on. what kind of music do you like?
esp ltd ec 100qm
epiphone valve junior head
epiphone g-310 with emg 81/85
well i like everything but mainly like Led Zeppelin, but i play some blink 182 sum 41.. whatever i can i play i play lol..
Quote by demon.guitarist
u cant go rong with ernie ball slinkys, they have tonnes of sizes, regulars are fine for me

If you want dead tone.

D'addario or Elixers (which I can never afford) are the way to go. The size is prefrence, but most guitars come stock with 9's. I happen to like Light bottem/heavy top strings, with an 11 high e. but thats just me
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I used to use Ernie Balls, they were pretty good, but they DON'T work with locking tremolo giutars, they snap easily on those thigns.
I use D'addiro 9's now.
but being that im new im not looking for too expensive strings, how much are these around
i would go with elixir polywebs. they're a little more expensive, but well worth it.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG320FM
Jackson JS30

Amps:
Marshall MG Stack
Line 6 Flextone II

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
If the guitar is brand new, or the strings are fairly new, then I don't see any reason why there would be a big issue with 'em. A lot of guitars already come with good quality strings (D'Addarios are standard on a good number of brands if I recall correctly).

The only time I could see it making a difference, is if the strings are old, the guitar has been handled by a fair number of people prior to purchase, if you have a specific tone you want from your strings, or if there's a particular brand that you like to use and it didn't come with them.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I'm playing a quite cheap guitar and played with the strings it came with, Ernie Ball and Dean Markley. My amp is a Marshall 15DFX. To me they sound pretty much the same. Might be different with nice pickups and a better amp.
So I'd say just play your strings for some time.
^Well yeah, whatever kind of strings you have on your guitar when you're playing through an MG, it's gonna sound like crap. I prefer GHS strings. I like their large selection, and the fact that they're manufactured in my home state (michigan), is another plus.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Stock strings are usually no different to the ones you buy in the shops - they're just usually old that's all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
in short.Yes it does

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Stock strings usually have some kind of buildup from multiple people handling the guitar prior to your purchasing it, so Yes definitely change the strings.

I use D'Addario XL 10's (because I like the heavier feel and it helps build my fingers up) But generally 9's work really well. I've used D'Addarios for years because they rarely ever break, especially on a floyd rose bridge.

But also alot of people like Ernie Ball, and GHS. You cab generally find these brands for about $5 - $6 a set or so. Sometimes your local shop will have 2 for $8 specials going on.

New strings just have that fresh feel to them and they sound more alive.
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
well i was hoping by changing the strings I'd be able to automatically know how to play any SRV song ever...... so no. IMO it doens't help crap. You can either play a guitar, or you can't (or haven't learned yet).

You give a guy who knows how to play a guitar and no matter what brand guitar/strings he wil make it sing.

..... but I do like the Slinkys.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
if you;re strings are dirty and greasy then get new ones, or if they are rusted, it's much easier to move around with nice new strings. i hate the really twangy sound of fresh strings but that disappears after a good 3-4 hours of playing
Quote by GuitarNoob113
well i like everything but mainly like Led Zeppelin, but i play some blink 182 sum 41.. whatever i can i play i play lol..

I beleive Jimmy Page used Ernie Ball Super Slinky's, though that doesn't mean you have to lol.

But yeah Ernie Ball Slinky's are some nice strings IMO, I also like D'Addario 9's, which I use on my Squier.

Basically it's just about trying out different ones as you change strings and finding the set that suits you. My only advice since your a beginner is to probably get 9's.

Oh and if the stock strings are in good condition wait a while till your comfortable changing strings.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Refer to sig.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Elixir strings aren't really worth buying for the electric, in my opinion. They are the only strings I buy for acoustics; but their electric strings are pretty "meh".

I'm currently playing D'Addario's. They are decent enough.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by zekk
Re: Ernie Balls- If you want dead tone.

Bogus! Regular Slinky is my preferred kind. However, I have yet to try them out on my FR equipped axe, so I have no idea how they'd hold up on that.
Quote by axe_2_grind
I use D'Addario XL 10's (because I like the heavier feel and it helps build my fingers up)

Pardon me, but I'd say 10s aren't "heavier". 10s have always been what I considered standard, and I'd never go lighter. I hate the flimsy feel of 9s. For some reason I think it feels cheap, like they're too easy to push around, and there's no resistance in them so I feel like they can snap at any time.

I use 10s (Ernie Ball regular Slinky) on my Tele and will swap the ones on my LTD MH-1000 for those as well, and I use 11s (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky) on my M600, which is my rhythm metal axe.
hey if its your first guitar, get new strings and have somoene string them for you (who knows what there doing) cuz if you string it wrong, it wont sound as good as it should be.
Current Setup..
Ibanez RG 2EX2
Some 1980's Fender Amp..(M-80)
Boss Distortian
Crybaby Original