Hey, I am interested in buying a new guitar. What are the advantages or disadvantages of a guitar with 24 frets? And, I don't really know many guitars with 24 frets, so please recomend some for me.
Thanks
Epiphone G400 Iommi sig. 24 frets. Advantage is you get 2 full octaves worth of notes to play with, 0-12= one full octave, 12-24 = the second.
jackson, ibanex, esp usually all have 24 frets. theres no disadvantage
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
i really see no disadvantage. but i guess if you want to higher notes, then get em. ha. but for me i use 22 fret guitars, so i dont have any expertise with 24 frets.
I don't have recommendations, but I can share my experience with them.

With most 24 Fret Guitars, I find it noticeably easier to do double tapping, and it's pretty easy to come up with interesting sounding licks with the 2 octaves at hand.

The only disadvantage I can think of is the very real possibility of not having perfect intonation. I don't know if I'm just picky when it comes to that, but it's hard for me to get a really good intonation with some 24 Fret Guitars. I haven't played many higher-end ones though, so it could just be something worth noting/testing.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Ibrought an Ibanez RG370dx in june it has 24 frets,previous i had (and still have) a Fenix (strat copy)i didnt think there would be much diferrence but as Kylster said above 2 octives does make a difference.Havent had any probs with intonation though,took me two days to set up the floating trem properly,but its really sweet now.if the intonation is badly out it may be a truss rod prob?
You will lose nothing in buying a 24 frett guitar,just try a few to get the feel,i was going to buy a jackson but didnt get on with any of them but as soon as i picked up the ibanez i was hooked,so could recomend that.also try to find some reviews of the guitars your interested,good luck.
Feel the fear and do it anyway.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
The neck pickup has a different tone, because it's pushed down further.

word.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I prefer a 24 fret guitar over 22 anyday.

I haven't had any intonation problems, and it is nice having 2 octaves available.. or mainly just being able to slide upto the highest note on the board - that's fun =P
Main difference is the size of the frets. If you keep the scale size the same, there are two extra frets crammed in there so it gets a little harder to play. But the two extra frets are worth it especially if you like to solo. PLus i agree with the statement above about the tapping.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Kylster
With most 24 Fret Guitars, I find it noticeably easier to do double tapping, and it's pretty easy to come up with interesting sounding licks with the 2 octaves at hand.
You pretty much always have two octaves anyway, you just have to know the fretboard.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MetalMilitia212
The neck pickup has a different tone, because it's pushed down further.

If you look at a 22 fret guitar the neck pickup is placed right where the 24th fret would be (under the natural harmonic). I personally am not a fan of how the neck pup sounds on a 24 fret guitar (my opinion), BUT if you're gonna be doing lots of soloing or never plan to use the neck pup that much anyway there is really no reason not to go 24.

edit: As for 24 fret guitars, depending on your budget I would look at schecter. The C1 classic is stunning. If it had locking tuners and a fender headstock it would easily be a $2000 guitar. Easily. I just bought an american strat. and I still wonder if I made the right decision (even though I love my 22 fret strat and would never get rid of her now).
Last edited by skribbez at Aug 23, 2007,
Quote by skribbez
The C1 classic is stunning. If it had locking tuners and a fender headstock it would easily be a $2000 guitar.

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Quote by Dave_Mc
o_O

well it's true, lol

neck through mahogany body
solid quilted maple top
USA duncan pickups
the list goes on

but about the neck pickup...roll back your tone JUST a bit if the tiny, minuscule bit of extra brightness bothers you that badly, it's not that bad
a fender neck would make it go from 700 to 2000?

edit: I get it if you are doing a play on paying for brand names, but if you are saying the value would increase from that much, then you must have herpes.
It's nice to have the extra space to solo on, and if you have small fingers it's easier to chord up in the second octave. I've never noticed much difference in neck pup tone between 22 and 24 fret guitars, so I guess play it before you buy. As for recomendations, deffinately check out the schecter c-1 series. I've got the c-1 plus and it's absolutely great, it's really versatile and feels really good.
i doubt it'd sell for $2000 even if it had fender on it. even fender and gibson have to make their expensive guitars in the US. plus that solid maple top is more than likely a veneer, or a veneer over a plain maple top. Plus I doubt that's honduran, or even african, mahogany, which you'd want/expect on a $2000 guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LP Addict
a fender neck would make it go from 700 to 2000?

edit: I get it if you are doing a play on paying for brand names, but if you are saying the value would increase from that much, then you must have herpes.

If that were an american made fender I could very easily see it being that expensive. All the classics that I've played feel and play like they should cost twice what they do. And you're right perhaps $2000 is a bit of stretch, but slap a MIA fender decal on it and the price will go up dramatically.

FYI: I havent had an outbreak in months.
Check out the washburn x series for 24 fretters. Not really my thing, but go for it if it's definitely what you want. To be honest, most 22 fretters will suit just fine.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Are the frets a bit smaller, or the neck a bit longer, or both?
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by DagMX
Main difference is the size of the frets. If you keep the scale size the same, there are two extra frets crammed in there so it gets a little harder to play. But the two extra frets are worth it especially if you like to solo. PLus i agree with the statement above about the tapping.

Bogus! With the same scale length the space between the frets is the same. The fretboard is just longer, that's all. Think about it, you'll see why what you said doesn't make any sense.
No the neck isnt longer, and no the size of frets isnt affected with a 24 vs 22 fret. Only difference is the neck pickup is pushed inward such that it has a slightly sharper tone with less warmth. I own both a 24 fret and a 22 fret, both 25.5 scale. The differences in neck pickup tone is there.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
My finger's aren't long, so I like smaller frets. I think my 24-fretter has the longer neck instead of the shorter frets
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)