Ok im tired of my crappy guitar and want 2 upgrade in a $500 budget. I came down to two guitar i like the Fender Stratocaster and the Epiphone Les Paul Custom. They are roughly around same price range. Which is the better guitar???
The thing is they're different but at this point it's preference.
The Epi. has humbuckers and can handle the higher gain, while the strats single coils will give a different sound.

If you could tell us what styles of music you like to play and which specific stratocaster model your looking to buy, that would help.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
They're both good guitars, but depending on what you want out of it - you have to make a choice.
Two extremely different sounds, feel and weight.
Strat
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Fender American > Fender Japanese > Fender Mexican
Epiphone Elitist > Epiphone Standard

http://www.onlinerock.com/virtual/vm_guitar.shtml

Fender Japanese > Fender Mexican Classic Player's 50's/60's > Fender American > Fender Mexican
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I'd go with the LP for versatility purposes.
The LP can play nice on a clean amp, but the strat CANNOT and can never do the LP sound. Even with pickups replaced.
Fret access? Who really plays above the 17th fret in the real world??? Stretch your fingers, man.
And the LP cannot do Strat sounds even with pickup replacement. It all boils down to personal preference and style. If you are asking about quality it varies. Outside of quality control issues the general quality is comparable.
I play all over beyond the 17th fret. For my style that is why I prefer double cut.
Quote by uldhppi
And the LP cannot do Strat sounds even with pickup replacement. It all boils down to personal preference and style. If you are asking about quality it varies. Outside of quality control issues the general quality is comparable.
I play all over beyond the 17th fret. For my style that is why I prefer double cut.

True, but the LP can play an acceptable clean sound...the strats dirty tone stinks. Unfortunatly, single coils arent that versatile, but sound great clean. Play a strat through a higher gain amp and its buzz city and palm muting...forget it.

Know what I mean?
Quote by xzcarloszx
Ok im tired of my crappy guitar and want 2 upgrade in a $500 budget. I came down to two guitar i like the Fender Stratocaster and the Epiphone Les Paul Custom. They are roughly around same price range. Which is the better guitar???

OK, im going to be blunt because im rly tired of seeing this question. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT GUITARS!! neither one is better or worse. its just which style you prefer! go to a store, try it.

dude i means eriously just look at ht eguitars, the LP has two humbuckers and the strat has either 3 single coils or 2 single coils and a humbucker. jsut seeing that u can tell they sound differently. and if you have ever seen the necks on them, you will immediately know that they ahve different feels.

btw dude, hwo long have you been playing? wat guitar are u playing? do u rly need to upgrade. or do u WANT to upgrade? cause for me its always been want, but when ive rly thot about it my squier has been fine.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by demea
The LP can play nice on a clean amp, but the strat CANNOT and can never do the LP sound. Even with pickups replaced.
Fret access? Who really plays above the 17th fret in the real world??? Stretch your fingers, man.

lol umm the strat CAN very well play on a clean amp. wow that is the msot retarded thing i have ever heard!! i mean seriously! there are some pretty freaking awesome songs that have strats playing thru a clean amp! by some jsut crappy artists tho...i mean sucky ppl, like this dude eric clapton....and i think this other guy stevie? ummm i think his last name is vaughn(sp?)

and as someone else already said, LP's and Strats sound awesome in their own rights, BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
If you can't tell whether you want a thin single coiled alder guitar or a thick beefy mahogany humbuckered guitar, then you should most likely keep your money in your pocket.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Responding to Demea: You seem to be a metal player. Nothing wrong with that. As far as distortion and strats I look back to the master James Marshall Hendrix. I can palm mute on a strat. Do it all the time. Also pinch harmonics. Occasionally I use the neck pickup as a fretboard while playing through the bridge pickup. Richie Blackmore got some pretty good distortion sound from strats. Its still just a matter of taste and style. One guitar is not inherently superior over another.
I really like the sound of Les Pauls. I am gassing for a DC.
Quote by demea
True, but the LP can play an acceptable clean sound...the strats dirty tone stinks. Unfortunatly, single coils arent that versatile, but sound great clean. Play a strat through a higher gain amp and its buzz city and palm muting...forget it.

Know what I mean?

i dont think u ahve spent much time with single coils dude, i rly dont. if u ahve, u didnt kno wat u were doing, it took me a while to rly find all that single coils can do, but they can do a lot.

i mean, jimmi hendrix's main guitar was a start, i would think he would kinda disprove all that u just said.

and strats dirty tone is the best thing in the world guitar wise, in my opinion, lay on a bit of crunch, bump up the volume and *sigh*
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by uldhppi

I really like the sound of Les Pauls. I am gassing for a DC.

me too i rly want a gibson DC but alas, i dont have a job and i have like $350 and yea, i rly dont want to spend that much money period. i rly dont need a new guitar anyways
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by FacingUsAll
If you can't tell whether you want a thin single coiled alder guitar or a thick beefy mahogany humbuckered guitar, then you should most likely keep your money in your pocket.

+1
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Yeah BManiac I guess I will have to win the lottery. Make you a deal. If I win I buy you one. You win you hook me up.
Quote by uldhppi
Yeah BManiac I guess I will have to win the lottery. Make you a deal. If I win I buy you one. You win you hook me up.

lol deal my good friend! the lottery is going for like 300 million this week in SC so ill let u know when they send me the money
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Responding to Demea: You seem to be a metal player.

Not really. I just think a Les Paul is a better all around guitar for every style.
I own a 94 Tele and love it, but I can play Metallica tunes on it. True about Jimi's sound, but it really wasnt "heavy"...just distorted.

ol umm the strat CAN very well play on a clean amp. wow that is the msot retarded thing i have ever heard!! i mean seriously! there are some pretty freaking awesome songs that have strats playing thru a clean amp! by some jsut crappy artists tho...i mean sucky ppl, like this dude eric clapton....and i think this other guy stevie? ummm i think his last name is vaughn(sp?)

Moron, I meant that the Strat cant do the LP distorted sound. Of course the Strat can do cleans. Read into the reply.

i dont think u ahve spent much time with single coils dude, i rly dont. if u ahve, u didnt kno wat u were doing, it took me a while to rly find all that single coils can do, but they can do a lot.

i mean, jimmi hendrix's main guitar was a start, i would think he would kinda disprove all that u just said.

...and you obviously havent spent much time with school based upon your spelling and grammar, so I'm just calling you an idiot.
Its unfortunate that the old Fender vs. Gibson thing has started from this thread. Its an apples and oranges kind of thing anyway. Its mainly about what suits a player's style. I wish I could afford all the different guitars I want. I mainly have it covered by the three I have but it's like Jello there's always room for more.
I have a crappy ibanez started pack. i NEED 2 upgrade. Im goning 2 be playing alot of ska punk classic rock

I think the LP is way sexier than the strat
Quote by uldhppi
Its unfortunate that the old Fender vs. Gibson thing has started from this thread. Its an apples and oranges kind of thing anyway. Its mainly about what suits a player's style. I wish I could afford all the different guitars I want. I mainly have it covered by the three I have but it's like Jello there's always room for more.

QFT
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Do you want thick and warm tone or thin and biting tone?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by xzcarloszx
I have a crappy ibanez started pack. i NEED 2 upgrade. Im goning 2 be playing alot of ska punk classic rock

I think the LP is way sexier than the strat

Well outside of looks i'm pretty sure both can handle classic rock and punk stuff.
Are you going to be able to try them out, if you can play both and decide for yourself both are pretty good guitars.

Also what amp do you have? The amp will really affect your tone and if you don't like the Ibanez one, then looking into a new amp is also a good idea.

Play both and see what you like best.

Quote by demea

It goes the other way around, too.

Quote by Blackholesun00
Play both and see what you like best.

It goes the other way around, too.

But its a better situation the way I put it
Quote by demea
But its a better situation the way I put it

lol i think opposite, and btw yea, sry for calling u retarded adn everything, i was having a bad day but yea, as for grammar...watever, and well i replied to the first thing u said before u posted the other thing, and at first the way u said ti made strats sound like they couldnt do cleans and i was already annoyed with the thread question so yea

sorry

but i still maintain my point even tho u agree with me
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by demea

Know what I mean?

No, I don't know what you mean.

I love a dirty Single coil sound, it is just different.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I have a 120 watt crate combo amp.

Yea Im gonna have 2 stop into sam ash and play them both.

I play on my friends strat all the time and i really do enjoy it. So i wanna check out the LP ive played it before but a while back. Gonna test em both out
Quote by CORT noob
No, I don't know what you mean.

I love a dirty Single coil sound, it is just different.

It's because thats my opinion. Doesnt mean its right, wrong or indifferent.
I've been playing for a long time and for versatilities sake - if I'm going to own a guitar for the a period of time and want to cover a broad range of sound - it isnt with a single coil guitar.
Not saying that Jimi's sound is bad, nothing against SRV or Clapton (who uses noiseless pickups mind you).
Thats it. Nothing more to be said.
Quote by demea

Know what I mean?
!

Have you even played a Strat through a highgain amp? I do it all the time. It's ridiculous to say its dirty tone stinks. Stop trolling...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
!

Have you even played a Strat through a highgain amp? I do it all the time. It's ridiculous to say its dirty tone stinks. Stop trolling...

Yeah, when the rest of the band stops bitching about the humming of the pickups...we usually have a great practice.
I've owned a 1976 Strat, 1996 Strat, 2000 Strat and a MIM strat and I replaced the bridge pickup in every one of them.

Like I said, thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
You dont have to like it.