Yup. I'm a decent pianist, playing chords and such, not the fancy reading music. So, I know every basic chord and many advanced ones, and what notes they are made of, which I know will help. I also sing. I'm in the process of learning guitar, and I got one yesterday. First time I really layed hands on one. I've memorized chords for C, A, Am, Em, F, and G. I can play all of these decently with little buzzing, but I'm still working on my one-second gaps in between chords. I'm sticking with strumming for now, and I have an Acoustic guitar.

Now a couple of questions. 1. Is there a good way to do a bar chord? I have a Bb in one of my songs, and I really gotta strain my arm to hit it even decently. 2. What's a good position for playing? I've been playing with my guitar on right leg, but I've seen some classical position, and what's that? 3. Any other general tips for me?
Um for bar chords it really is just practice, but make sure you try out different positions for your index finger. Try it a little higher or lower along the fret. i found it easier if i didn't use the tip of my index finger to hold dow nthe E string but instead use the place where my fingerprint is.
Quote by Mekchrious
Yup. I'm a decent pianist, playing chords and such, not the fancy reading music. So, I know every basic chord and many advanced ones, and what notes they are made of, which I know will help. I also sing. I'm in the process of learning guitar, and I got one yesterday. First time I really layed hands on one. I've memorized chords for C, A, Am, Em, F, and G. I can play all of these decently with little buzzing, but I'm still working on my one-second gaps in between chords. I'm sticking with strumming for now, and I have an Acoustic guitar.

Now a couple of questions. 1. Is there a good way to do a bar chord? I have a Bb in one of my songs, and I really gotta strain my arm to hit it even decently. 2. What's a good position for playing? I've been playing with my guitar on right leg, but I've seen some classical position, and what's that? 3. Any other general tips for me?

Classical positioning usually means placing your guitar on your left leg rather than your right. Guitarists that place the guitar on their right leg are usually playing in informal situations. I personally use classical position even with electric guitars because I find the transition very subtle to when I decide to stand up and play. Not only that, but I find the fretboard to be much more accessible. Anyway, there are plenty of other threads addressing the classical positioning in more detail, use the forum's search function.
and I can't say much about barre chords, they're simply one of those things that takes time to master and utilize. Look on youtube for barre chord instructional videos just to see if you're taking an okay approach, you may be putting unnecessary stress on parts of your hand, but i couldn't say that for sure without looking at your technique. Most likely, you're just not used to it yet.
I think you're starting off with a waaay too hard barchord, if not the one of the hardest.. Try easy ones like F#m and Bm to get the feeling down, then you can try harder ones.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Bar chords are good to learn right away...I learned bar chords right away when I started along with your basic chords.

when your doing certain chords or anything else for that matter on the guitar and you find it difficult to fret try looking at your chording hands arm/elbow...where is the elbow?...is it close to your body or far away...try moving away from body if arm is to close...some people tend to hold elbow close to body which can make it harder to play.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here