I'm looking at some Explorer-shaped guitars for around $500. I was wondering what my selection is and what is the best.
You should save up the extra 200 or so and buy a Gibson. You'll be happier at the end of the day. I got my 84 Explorer for 640.00 off eBay. Looks brand freakin new.
Quote by TJM2482

Spectacular guitar.

Buy this one (or the Korina one ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Which one has better stock pickups? I used the crunch channel on my Peavey, it sounds kinda like an AC/DC Marshall JCM800/900 classic rock tone.

Despite that I use it for everything, roll my volume down for slightly dirty chords, or push the gain for metal.
Quote by TJM2482
Which one has better stock pickups? I used the crunch channel on my Peavey, it sounds kinda like an AC/DC Marshall JCM800/900 classic rock tone.

Despite that I use it for everything, roll my volume down for slightly dirty chords, or push the gain for metal.

well the Korina has 1 Seymour Duncan '59 (bridge) and a JB (neck) but it cost like $629

the Standard Flametop has 2 duncan designed ones. I have that model. they are not that bad but i would recommend you changing the pickups later if you want a slightly different sound.Overall it still kicks ass with the stock pick-ups

Overall both will do classic rock well and you might be able to do some metal