Page 1 of 2
I have been chronically ill for 9 months with an unknown illness and the doctors now think they know what it is.

After months of testing, and a lot of negative results, the doctors are confident that they know what I am suffering from. At first they thought it was mono (glandular fever) then they thought it was HIV (both came back negative). However, I have had the same symptoms for 9 months that prompted fresh concerns that I have Mono... I went for the blood test today, but after 8 tries to draw blood they couldnt get any, so I have to go back on Tuesday for a fresh set of tests.

Also, the throat swab they took revealed that I have a bacterial infection called strep throat, mine was so mild (in comparison to what it usually does to you) that it was undetected at first because my symptoms seemed to be that of a virus.

After being so ill for 9 months I just hope that they have got it right this time and I can get out of this limbo. Its been horrible... They wont prescribe any antibiotics until the blood tests come back two weeks from Tuesday.. I just hope they reveal something treatable... I cant go on living like this... Oh and my carpel tunnel syndrome has almost cleared up...

Anyways... Anyone else have medical stories so I dont feel like the only one who has had an illness go on so long (I know mine isnt exactly the worst thing... Recurrent tonsillitis with suspected mono...)
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
well, the doctors pretty much knew what it was from the start, but I had a bilateral urethral reallignment when I was in like 1st grade. here's all you need to know.
1. think of the hole in your body that you would most like to not have a tube shoved up it.
2. I had a tube shoved up it. 4 times.
hope you get better bro
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
well, the doctors pretty much knew what it was from the start, but I had a bilateral urethral reallignment when I was in like 1st grade. here's all you need to know.
1. think of the hole in your body that you would most like to not have a tube shoved up it.

... Not cool... Damn... Im feeling better already.
i wonder how expensive that would have been here in the US.

i had a seizure once and they tested my ass for 6 months and concluded that i was really dehydrated at the time.
Make sure you drink plenty of water before you go back. If you're properly hydrated, it's much easier to take blood.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man

Waiting for the results was hell man!

Getting them was a huge weight off my shoulders!

Quote by MightyAl
Make sure you drink plenty of water before you go back. If you're properly hydrated, it's much easier to take blood.

I was... For a 6ft 4in person I have small veins and they are very mobile.. Due to my thinness and all... Its the first time they havent been able to draw it
Mono blows. Sorry to hear that.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Guitardude19

I was... For a 6ft 4in person I have small veins and they are very mobile.. Due to my thinness and all... Its the first time they havent been able to draw it

Yeahh I can imagine.

If I was ill and doctors suspected me of having HIV, I'd actually cry like a little bitch
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Yeahh I can imagine.

If I was ill and doctors suspected me of having HIV, I'd actually cry like a little bitch

I did for three months, spawned two threads on it ... and an insensitive friend faked my death on these boards a few months back just to top it off...

Good times
Quote by Guitardude19

Maybe try eating lots of salt, and get a bit worked up. A temporary increase in your bp will help too.
And I agree, waiting for results blows ass. I had an MRI scan last week(and another the week before), but due to the NHS being so awesome at organising, I won't see the surgeon who ordered them until mid October.
a muscle i the bottem of my neck was compressin an arteey and a nerve so i have very little strength in my left arm and practically none in my fingers.i got an operation 2 weeks ago so hopefully it should start improving
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by MightyAl
Maybe try eating lots of salt, and get a bit worked up. A temporary increase in your bp will help too.
And I agree, waiting for results blows ass. I had an MRI scan last week(and another the week before), but due to the NHS being so awesome at organising, I won't see the surgeon who ordered them until mid October.

Hope everything is ok dude.

Quote by Eggmond
a muscle i the bottem of my neck was compressin an arteey and a nerve so i have very little strength in my left arm and practically none in my fingers.i got an operation 2 weeks ago so hopefully it should start improving

Man that sounds horrible. I hope the op makes things better dude!
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Yeahh I can imagine.

I'd go kill the little bitch who gave me it... then cry.
BTW hope you get better dude.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

I had that happened twice to me, once when I was 4 months again when I was in 2nd grade, and this summer I had a hypospadias repair, and curvature reallignment, basically this means I was born with a ****ed up dick.
Quote by Smoke Bush
I had that happened twice to me, once when I was 4 months again when I was in 2nd grade, and this summer I had a hypospadias repair, and curvature reallignment, basically this means I was born with a ****ed up dick.

Dont worry man...

Mines ****ed up ... Its circumcised

Quote by Darth Zeppelin
I'd go kill the little bitch who gave me it... then cry.
BTW hope you get better dude.

Me and the girl in question had a huge row after I accused her of giving me a disease she doesnt have! Well.. Can you blame me...?
Quote by Guitardude19
I did for three months, spawned two threads on it ... and an insensitive friend faked my death on these boards a few months back just to top it off...

Good times

Damn that sucks.

Two threads wasted!

I kid, I kid I hope it's nothing serious man, can't be good what you're going through.
Funny words.
Quote by Guitardude19
Hope everything is ok dude.

Man that sounds horrible. I hope the op makes things better dude!

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not that badly off - I spend enough time in hospitals that I see people in a worse state than me failry regularly.
At any rate, I hope things work out for you. Being ill is a bastard and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Unless I really hate them.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Damn that sucks.

Two threads wasted!

I kid, I kid I hope it's nothing serious man, can't be good what you're going through.

Well its easier now that I know its not AIDS lol ... But you learn to live with being ill even if you dont like it ... Tolerance... Doesnt mean you have to like it

Quote by MightyAl
In the grand scheme of things, I'm not that badly off - I spend enough time in hospitals that I see people in a worse state than me failry regularly.
At any rate, I hope things work out for you. Being ill is a bastard and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Unless I really hate them.

I havent spent much time in a hospital but when I do see people worse off than me it does put things in perspective. Seeing people in advanced stages of cancer and AIDS is enough to make me take extra care with my health.

Oh and they might be shutting the Royal Surrey Hospital! Damn it
i always think i have cancer and it turns out to be nothing. one time i thought i had cancer in my throat from smoking and i thought my sinuses were acting up from snuff tobacco in my nose. they thought it was strep throat. then it came back negative (felt like strep). so they said it was a virus and it'd go away. then i went back two weeks later miserable and it turned out i had mono.

Mines ****ed up ... Its circumcised

you know what i think whenever that bothers me?

"at least it's not small."
#DTWD
Quote by Guitardude19
Please God Dont Knock Me Down Again.
My brother,

God didn't knock you down and give you illness. It's just not in his nature. Illnesses just are. You happened to get a couple. That's just a chance that happens in life. Don't blame God.

God does sometimes give us strength and clarity of thought. Maybe you just got lucky when the doctors finally figured out what was wrong with you. Or maybe God heard your plea for help or the doctor's prayers. Maybe he gave the doctor clarity of thought so he could figure out what was wrong. Maybe you should take a moment and thank him, if he helped that doctor.

Sorry if that sounded weird. That's just the way I think.

...but you already know I'm a bit weird.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by primusfan
i always think i have cancer and it turns out to be nothing. one time i thought i had cancer in my throat from smoking and i thought my sinuses were acting up from snuff tobacco in my nose. they thought it was strep throat. then it came back negative (felt like strep). so they said it was a virus and it'd go away. then i went back two weeks later miserable and it turned out i had mono.

Dude, you sound like me...

Any pain = Cancer... Eg I went to A&E demanding a CT scan because I was adamant I had a brain tumour (My grandfather passed away from it... I thought I had it).

A cold or flu is ALWAYS HIV... I have had 5 tests for that.... All negative...

Quote by primusfan
you know what i think whenever that bothers me?

"at least it's not small."

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
My brother,

God didn't knock you down and give you illness. It's just not in his nature. Illnesses just are. You happened to get a couple. That's just a chance that happens in life. Don't blame God.

God does sometimes give us strength and clarity of thought. Maybe you just got lucky when the doctors finally figured out what was wrong with you. Or maybe God heard your plea for help or the doctor's prayers. Maybe he gave the doctor clarity of thought so he could figure out what was wrong. Maybe you should take a moment and thank him, if he helped that doctor.

Sorry if that sounded weird. That's just the way I think.

...but you already know I'm a bit weird.

Dude, thank you for posting, it makes sense now *e-hug*

And yes, I know you are weird, but so am I... Maybe thats why we are friends
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Aug 23, 2007,
Quote by Guitardude19
Well its easier now that I know its not AIDS lol ... But you learn to live with being ill even if you dont like it ... Tolerance... Doesnt mean you have to like it

I havent spent much time in a hospital but when I do see people worse off than me it does put things in perspective. Seeing people in advanced stages of cancer and AIDS is enough to make me take extra care with my health.

Oh and they might be shutting the Royal Surrey Hospital! Damn it

My 'local' hospital is pretty much getting shut down too, although the health board will never admit it. It's getting changed into an 'ambulatory care' and some-other-bullsh*t title, which basically means it will only do outpatient clinics and day surgery, and the A&E is being closed down.
On the up side, apparently the hospital I usually go to is moving to in-house catering this year, which should make for better quality food(although the food getting worse would be next to impossible).
Quote by MightyAl
My 'local' hospital is pretty much getting shut down too, although the health board will never admit it. It's getting changed into an 'ambulatory care' and some-other-bullsh*t title, which basically means it will only do outpatient clinics and day surgery, and the A&E is being closed down.
On the up side, apparently the hospital I usually go to is moving to in-house catering this year, which should make for better quality food(although the food getting worse would be next to impossible).

Thats tempting fate that is....

I dont like the way the NHS is. Its annoying that A&E departments are being reorganised, effectively shutting them down. We pump so much money into the NHS a year, Im starting to wonder where that money goes... If you believe the tabloids, it goes to management and the bureaucrats... But this being England, I just think its being wasted on trivial things..
Quote by Guitardude19
Thats tempting fate that is....

I dont like the way the NHS is. Its annoying that A&E departments are being reorganised, effectively shutting them down. We pump so much money into the NHS a year, Im starting to wonder where that money goes... If you believe the tabloids, it goes to management and the bureaucrats... But this being England, I just think its being wasted on trivial things..

A lot of it does go on stuff like that - the NHS actually employs around 1.7-1.8 admin staff per inpatient bed. Also, apparently a hospital consultant in E+W has to send a letter to a patients GP to request that the GP refers the patient to another consultant(for example, I was referred to an ENT surgeon by a dermatologist last year - since the clinics were in the same place, he just walked through and asked her to see me). And in some health boards, this letter goes through an intermediate office that decides which consultant actually recieves the letter.
Also, the reason my appointment with the surgeon is in mid October is because apparently her secretary can no longer arrange clinic appointments, and they have to go through what amounts to a call center.
It really pisses me off that a lot of hospital admin staff seem to think they're not there to help the doctors help patients.
D00d... I hope things will get better =/
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by MightyAl
A lot of it does go on stuff like that - the NHS actually employs around 1.7-1.8 admin staff per inpatient bed. Also, apparently a hospital consultant in E+W has to send a letter to a patients GP to request that the GP refers the patient to another consultant(for example, I was referred to an ENT surgeon by a dermatologist last year - since the clinics were in the same place, he just walked through and asked her to see me). And in some health boards, this letter goes through an intermediate office that decides which consultant actually recieves the letter.
Also, the reason my appointment with the surgeon is in mid October is because apparently her secretary can no longer arrange clinic appointments, and they have to go through what amounts to a call center.
It really pisses me off that a lot of hospital admin staff seem to think they're not there to help the doctors help patients.

I didnt realise it was THAT bad.... Surely if all of that was gotten rid of, there would be a more efficient system...
Whoah ****, best of luck to you threadstarter :/
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

One time someone punched me in the arm really hard and i had a bruise there for like...2 weeks..it sucked
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Kensai
D00d... I hope things will get better =/

Thanks Kjell
Well, good luck with whatever illness you turn out to have
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
A couple days ago I hit my elbow on the edge of the desk, in that spot where it feels like your hand is electrocuted. Truly the worst fate known to man.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
My brother,

Yeah, yeah. When it's something good, like strength or clarity of thought, "God gave it to us". When it's something bad, like an illness, it "just happens". Jeez.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
A couple days ago I hit my elbow on the edge of the desk, in that spot where it feels like your hand is electrocuted. Truly the worst fate known to man.

I... Hate.. That.. Feeling.
Quote by Mad Marius

Yeah, yeah. When it's something good, like strength or clarity of thought, "God gave it to us". When it's something bad, like an illness, it "just happens". Jeez.

+1
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

I had been having trouble with sleeping due to sweating at night for about four months and I was continuosly coughing, sometimes up to the point of puking, so I went to the docter thinking it was a infection or something, I had to do a bloodtest and the docter would call back in a couple of days

The docter called the next day and said we should go to the hospital inmeadiatly(sp?) because my red bloodcellvalue was way to low and my white bloodcellvalue was way to high, I had to get a röntgenscan In the morning, and it showed two spungelike things in my upper and lower chest, I thought it was an infection, but the docters were thinking about more serious things like tubercolosis, In the afternoon I had to get a ultrasonographic scan and a ct scan.

The same evening I got a call from the docter who had treated me at the hospital saying I should come over as fast as possible, they were almost sure it was cancer and would preform a biopsy of my bone marrow, and a operation to remove a small part of one of my lymphe nodes, It turned out I had Hodgkin's disease (lymphe node cancer) in a pretty advanced stage (3b) and that I had to get chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

I got diagnosed with hodgkin's disease at the 22th of april this year and my chemotherapy started on the 3rd of may. I'm getting my eighth chemo tomorrow and another 8 after that one. And probably around 20 to 30 radiotreatments after that.

But the scans are positive and there is a fair chance I'll make a complete recovery
Quote by Guitardude19
I have been chronically ill for 9 months with an unknown illness and the doctors now think they know what it is.

After months of testing, and a lot of negative results, the doctors are confident that they know what I am suffering from. At first they thought it was mono (glandular fever) then they thought it was HIV (both came back negative). However, I have had the same symptoms for 9 months that prompted fresh concerns that I have Mono... I went for the blood test today, but after 8 tries to draw blood they couldnt get any, so I have to go back on Tuesday for a fresh set of tests.

Also, the throat swab they took revealed that I have a bacterial infection called strep throat, mine was so mild (in comparison to what it usually does to you) that it was undetected at first because my symptoms seemed to be that of a virus.

After being so ill for 9 months I just hope that they have got it right this time and I can get out of this limbo. Its been horrible... They wont prescribe any antibiotics until the blood tests come back two weeks from Tuesday.. I just hope they reveal something treatable... I cant go on living like this... Oh and my carpel tunnel syndrome has almost cleared up...

Anyways... Anyone else have medical stories so I dont feel like the only one who has had an illness go on so long (I know mine isnt exactly the worst thing... Recurrent tonsillitis with suspected mono...)

that's a bummer man...
If you want to shine like the sun first you must burn like it.
Quote by M0ly
I had been having trouble with sleeping due to sweating at night for about four months and I was continuosly coughing, sometimes up to the point of puking, so I went to the docter thinking it was a infection or something, I had to do a bloodtest and the docter would call back in a couple of days

The docter called the next day and said we should go to the hospital inmeadiatly(sp?) because my red bloodcellvalue was way to low and my white bloodcellvalue was way to high, I had to get a röntgenscan In the morning, and it showed two spungelike things in my upper and lower chest, I thought it was an infection, but the docters were thinking about more serious things like tubercolosis, In the afternoon I had to get a ultrasonographic scan and a ct scan.

The same evening I got a call from the docter who had treated me at the hospital saying I should come over as fast as possible, they were almost sure it was cancer and would preform a biopsy of my bone marrow, and a operation to remove a small part of one of my lymphe nodes, It turned out I had Hodgkin's disease (lymphe node cancer) in a pretty advanced stage (3b) and that I had to get chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

I got diagnosed with hodgkin's disease at the 22th of april this year and my chemotherapy started on the 3rd of may. I'm getting my eighth chemo tomorrow and another 8 after that one. And probably around 20 to 30 radiotreatments after that.

But the scans are positive and there is a fair chance I'll make a complete recovery

Wow dude. I cant even begin to imagine how you must feel and what you must be going through. Hodgkins Lymphoma is very aggressive. My thoughts are with you and I hope you make a full recovery. Is it non hodgkins or just hodgkins? One is genetic the other isnt, or have I got my facts wrong? Anyways, good luck and all the best.
Page 1 of 2